Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I think for the hold outs from Freo's side an important bit of context is to understand a top 10 pick has never held less value for us than it does right now. The last thing Freo need is another 18 year old.

What a crock , this years performance could be down to nothing much more than a great injury list and a bit of confidence and continuity

It’s unlikely given the age of the key parts but your a fool if you think anything is certain in pro sport

Perfect situations blow up and amount to nothing all the time

The initial 3 yr contract and clubs getting better and better at drafting means 1st rounders have NEVER been more valuable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What a crock , this years performance could be down to nothing much more than a great injury list and a bit of confidence and continuity

It’s unlikely given the age of the key parts but your a fool if you think anything is certain in pro sport

The initial 3 yr contract and clubs getting better and better at drafting means 1st rounders have NEVER been more valuable

You’d be correct if you think we’re rebuilding., or you want to strengthen Peel and yes first rounders are important for trading in players.

We wouldn't have won our flags if we didn't recruit the likes of Grigg, Houli, Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis or Lynch.

Don't under sell the importance of trading in good quality players that fill a need for the idea of keeping picks.

Geelong wouldn't have won the flag in 2022 without Jeremy Cameron, I'd even say Collingwood wouldnt have won last year without recruiting Bobby Hill.

Our two best first round picks were acquired for the cost of Schultz and two picks in the thirties.

But I think Richmond would enjoy future picks more than even more picks in the 2024 draft - unless the plan is to delist half the squad.

We have already started on the wheelchair ramp from punt road to the nearest old folks home.

No idea exactly what freo’s salary cap is like, but I imagine it will be a lot tighter than ours. Only person of note we will be paying next year is T Lynch with his last year in a backended contract.

I’m sure if it suits Fremantle, we will pay a pretty high % of whoever goes salary.

Kinda like what Collingwood has done over the last few years, except we also want draft picks.

I don't understand your argument. Because we've had a lack of injuries and a bunch of confidence we should keep renewing the list with 18year old? How is that going to help any potential injuries or drops in form next year?

We could be the best drafting team in the world and chances are that Bolton is going to be better at contributing to a premiership during the next 5 years over any school boy.

I think the statements that Bolton is a 'cherry on top' / 'x-factor only' player aren't based on reality. He is an elite performer that can carry a team on his back.

I suspect that he is deemed 'a cherry on top' or 'x-factor only' is because of his slim build and background. He's called out for inconsistency, which he was early in his career but I believe isn't warranted now - his ceiling is just so f***ing high that he seems like he's performing worse than he is when he puts in an average game.

We are bottom of the table and his output is at least similar to the last couple of years, with less midfield minutes. His stats this year are very similar to his all-australian year in 2022.

He was single-handedly keeping us in the game when Richmond last played Freo, and almost single-handedly beat St Kilda in round 4.

He is a match-winner, and there are few players like him. Freo could trade all three first rounders for him and it wouldn't automatically be a bad trade, as it has a tangible impact on your 2025 flag chances, and he's got 7+ years of good footy left in him, let alone further improvement.

We have already started on the wheelchair ramp from punt road to the nearest old folks home.

No idea exactly what freo’s salary cap is like, but I imagine it will be a lot tighter than ours. Only person of note we will be paying next year is T Lynch with his last year in a backended contract.

I’m sure if it suits Fremantle, we will pay a pretty high % of whoever goes salary.

Kinda like what Collingwood has done over the last few years, except we also want draft picks.

Pick #7 and a future first of interest?

We wouldn't have won our flags if we didn't recruit the likes of Grigg, Houli, Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis or Lynch.

Don't under sell the importance of trading in good quality players that fill a need for the idea of keeping picks.

Geelong wouldn't have won the flag in 2022 without Jeremy Cameron, I'd even say Collingwood wouldnt have won last year without recruiting Bobby Hill.
I would also add the failure of North's rebuild was based on not being able to attract mature aged recruits as stabilisers at crucial points in my opinion. Many other rebuilding teams don't even try but would benefit massively

I would also add the failure of North's rebuild was based on not being able to attract mature aged recruits as stabilisers at crucial points in my opinion. Many other rebuilding teams don't even try but would benefit massively
Yeah, the criticism of North "cutting too hard" misses the mark IMO. See WC for a prime example of not cutting at all (should have let Barass go last year). North took too long to bring in cheap experience AND couldn't draft to save themselves. If you can't draft and develop, it doesn't matter what you do, you're going nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the statements that Bolton is a 'cherry on top' / 'x-factor only' player aren't based on reality. He is an elite performer that can carry a team on his back.

He is good.

Very good.

But is he really a cornerstone of any clubs rebuild?

Not sure about picking the team up and carrying them to a win. That's what players like Judd, Buckley and Dangerfield do.

More rumours that Freo will come hard and Bolton is listening.

Yeah, the criticism of North "cutting too hard" misses the mark IMO. See WC for a prime example of not cutting at all (should have let Barass go last year). North took too long to bring in cheap experience AND couldn't draft to save themselves. If you can't draft and develop, it doesn't matter what you do, you're going nowhere.

The Eagles weren't driving a Barrass trade last year. Barrass was and changed his mind. Not being able to pass a fitness test was an issue for him and the Swans.

This year it looks like the club is refusing to pay over market rates or risk a 5 year deal. Burnt too many times doing that and agreed, it's why the Eagles are in a bit of a hole which will take hard calls to resolve.

Any of those players cost 2 firsts?

I think that's close to reasonable value if he wasn't contracted, but we're rebuilding around the kid, he's only 25. It would have to be blatantly lucrative for us to trade him, but he is worth selling the farm for.
Wouldn´t give up any more than two firsts, can stay at Richmond and provide, relative to his ceiling, little value. The man´s not Lachie Neale.

Wouldn´t give up any more than two firsts, can stay at Richmond and provide, relative to his ceiling, little value. The man´s not Lachie Neale.
I would say two firsts with salary cap relief would be... okay...

In recent times Cameron cost 3 firsts. :tearsofjoy:

Even Lachie Schulz gave you a first and 2nd rounder and Shai is 10 times better than him.
Cameron: 13,15,20 with two future 2nd rounders coming back.

We can give you 7, 16 and 23 with your two 2nd rounders this year coming back?
Cameron is also 10x better than Bolton.

Schultz:
Let´s not re-write history, that pick was expected to be 16-18 exactly where the first rounders get pushed back by academy bids so 20-24. Also Bolton is clearly better, but 10 times better?
1722493409432.png

I don't understand your argument. Because we've had a lack of injuries and a bunch of confidence we should keep renewing the list with 18year old? How is that going to help any potential injuries or drops in form next year?

We could be the best drafting team in the world and chances are that Bolton is going to be better at contributing to a premiership during the next 5 years over any school boy.

You said the last thing we need is more 1st round kids

Tell me a big time trade for Freo that has been amazing

The LAST thing we need is to get all jizzy after a bit of success and blow our nut on another shit trade because your mistaking form for quality

Get him in I’m fine with it but we should be just as happy to take the picks and if Tigers think it’s XMAS tell ‘em to go **** themselves

Cameron: 13,15,20 with two future 2nd rounders coming back.

We can give you 7, 16 and 23 with your two 2nd rounders this year coming back?

Schultz:
Let´s not re-write history, that pick was expected to be 16-18 exactly where the first rounders get pushed back by academy bids so 20-24. Also Bolton is clearly better, but 10 times better?
View attachment 2065307

Sorry i should have said way better

My personal take is we should do a trade with Fremantle, it's clear they are chasing him hard; he is currently under contract with us so Freo must believe that can get the job done. Richmond on the other hand dont want him to go so it will come down to whether he tells Richmond he really wants out, our history in letting players go is quite good so if a player wants to move on then we make it happen.

Richmond won't be accepting anything less than 2 first rounders, Freo seem to be extremely keen, you and I can argue as much as you like on the matter it means nothing, we don't make those calls. If Freo are willing to pay 2 first rounders or whatever and Richmond are happy with it, then the trade will occur no matter how much kuhni is against it.

Your best bet is to pray Richmond say no.

Sorry i should have said way better

My personal take is we should do a trade with Fremantle, it's clear they are chasing him hard; he is currently under contract with us so Freo must believe that can get the job done. Richmond on the other hand dont want him to go so it will come down to whether he tells Richmond he really wants out, our history in letting players go is quite good so if a player wants to move on then we make it happen.

Richmond won't be accepting anything less than 2 first rounders, Freo seem to be extremely keen, you and I can argue as much as you like on the matter it means nothing, we don't make those calls. If Freo are willing to pay 2 first rounders or whatever and Richmond are happy with it, then the trade will occur no matter how much kuhni is against it.

Your best bet is to pray Richmond say no.
I don't think you're too far off, primarily because the first rounders are less valuable to Freo than Bolton. I honestly don't think they'd blink at two first rounders (something like 6/7 & 13-15, then some steak knife kind of stuff - value dependent on some of his salary being covered or not).

I'd be happy with that, in that both Freo and Richmond fans would feel slightly pissed off.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely the value of the picks handed over is driven by the amount of his salary Richmond are willing to pick up?

If they want to kick in $500k a year for 3 years give them whatever they want. The squeeze will be coming. Fremantle need to be getting creative with the salary cap, especially if they are bringing in contracted talent.

You said the last thing we need is more 1st round kids

Tell me a big time trade for Freo that has been amazing

The LAST thing we need is to get all jizzy after a bit of success and blow our nut on another shit trade because your mistaking form for quality

Get him in I’m fine with it but we should be just as happy to take the picks and if Tigers think it’s XMAS tell ‘em to go **** themselves

If be happy if both sides just told each other to go **** themselves tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back