Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess it's a counter to Jay Clark suggesting WCE's current pick 3 for Baker the other week on Midweek Tackle 'might' be too high.

Pick 3 for Baker? Highway robbery by the Eagles...

Warner and Baker to name 2

Probably a small forward like Martin or Richards

If Chad is live this year, fair enough.

The other 3 can GAGF if Bolton is available.

The way our team play on the rebound he'd be an A+ superstar. You couldn't double up on him, and he's lethal in space. Phenomenal forward, who's very handy around stoppages - imagine him i50 with Darcy tapping it down...

Plus he can be put into the middle for some burst a la Switta. Biggest issue is wages, I've no doubt Richmond would be happy to cover some for an improved deal as you've suggested.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He is definitely flashy and would be a good add. Let´s not kid ourselves that we´re getting prime Eddie Betts or Charlie Cameron though. I thought thi season he was highlighted as one of the most wasteful shots on goal?

Hate saying this but he could well be the last puzzle piece Freo need.
Give us pick 3 for Baker and we won't hand him over then.

secret smell GIF

Seems a perfect fit for the Dockers And especially with the draft hand to get it done.

Would be elite in the forward line and being the 4th/5th mid.

Be interesting to see what the Tigers do, go all chips in the draft or keep one of Bolton or Rioli.

He is definitely flashy and would be a good add. Let´s not kid ourselves that we´re getting prime Eddie Betts or Charlie Cameron though. I thought thi season he was highlighted as one of the most wasteful shots on goal?
Yeah he'll slot some ridiculous goals and miss a sitter here and there. Your scepticism is a bit unwarranted imo

I expect richmond to play straight bat and wait for offers to change their mind. Potentially be very busy dealing with baker and rioli trades.

Also depends if freo get close this year. If you make a prelim or get knocked in a close scenario due to scoring or xfactor needed, they will be desperate to get the trade done if they feel it will be the difference. Premiership windows only open for a small time so sometimes timing is everything. Every piece matters yes, but sometimes looking for the final rare piece you gotta overpay. It might not come again. Sure you can take the picks to the draft for another year but you always overpay for a known quantity especially when that player is Bolton whos ceiling is still top 5 player because he dominates when he gets going. Hes AA weapon.

Charlie and Eddie Betts are exclusively small forwards (and two of the best to ever do it). He's not them for sure but he offers a lot more up the ground than either of those guys. He's probably not far off prime Walters (not as sublime a finisher, but better burst mid/stoppage player) to be fair. He is ideal for our list currently and we can offer Richmond the picks to get it done. I'm always skeptical of these deals, but this feels like it's got legs. Could be a massive win-win deal.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accuracy, unless you're talking about the extreme outliers (Josh Treacy this season in one direction, Harry McKay last season in the other), really doesn't matter that much: most volume scorers are probably within like 10% either direction. Shot generation is a lot more valuable.

Shai's not an outlier in either direction, and if anything this season has been a pretty good season for him accuracy wise (outperforming his xScore). In general for his career, better from pockets and in general play than from the corridor and from set shots.

I expect richmond to play straight bat and wait for offers to change their mind. Potentially be very busy dealing with baker and rioli trades.

Also depends if freo get close this year. If you make a prelim or get knocked in a close scenario due to scoring or xfactor needed, they will be desperate to get the trade done if they feel it will be the difference. Premiership windows only open for a small time so sometimes timing is everything. Every piece matters yes, but sometimes looking for the final rare piece you gotta overpay. It might not come again. Sure you can take the picks to the draft for another year but you always overpay for a known quantity especially when that player is Bolton whos ceiling is still top 5 player because he dominates when he gets going. Hes AA weapon.
Goes both ways though, is there any real reason to turn down a good deal because a team might not agree to be fully extorted? Like, I know the RD tweet feels like it's playing a bit of the game already but Freo wouldnt shaft Richmond on this. I'd almost guarantee we get to the two best firsts which is a pretty massive haul and comparable with a lot of other high profile trades.

So if you've got a Bolton who wants out, a rebuild underway, do you turn down a good deal because it's not good enough? Always the tug of war on these things.

Everyone talking about him not being the cake. Well, how many cakes win awards without the icing? Not many.

For every in and under cake types like cripps, fyfe etc you need the icing. Bolton rare is fwd/mid who can play the dusty role kicking bags or chuck him into the midfield for xfactor to break the game open with speed. His agility speed is out of this world and can kicks bags in an instant and out of thin air sometimes. While he can get the contested ball, you want the bull types to feed him the ball and let him finish. Thats why he looks better in a good team, he wont have to worry about doing the dirty stuff and save his energy cooking his opponents. Also this year some young players were too shiet to pass him so he got frustrated a lot. Its the same reason why dusty will look better in a good team. They are both similar in that you leave them one out in the 50 and they will win more often than not.

Last edited:
Goes both ways though, is there any real reason to turn down a good deal because a team might not agree to be fully extorted? Like, I know the RD tweet feels like it's playing a bit of the game already but Freo wouldnt shaft Richmond on this. I'd almost guarantee we get to the two best firsts which is a pretty massive haul and comparable with a lot of other high profile trades.

So if you've got a Bolton who wants out, a rebuild underway, do you turn down a good deal because it's not good enough? Always the tug of war on these things.

Always depends on who blinks first.

Richmond will prob have baker and rioil trades. Plus their own first plus we got heaps of 2nds/3rds they will trade up with clubs with father sons. They may take the view already got too much draft capital this year so futures are wanted anyways so holding onto bolton for another while not ideal may eventuate.

Also on the other side, freo may not do well this year and not so desperate. But if they get close, well, sometimes you win sometimes you lose and you gotta do whats best for the club if youre in the window. Priemships foundations are decided by the back office and getting these decisions right cos theres no opportunity once the season starts

Always depends on who blinks first.

Richmond will prob have baker and rioil trades. Plus their own first plus we got heaps of 2nds/3rds they will trade up with clubs with father sons. They may take the view already got too much draft capital this year so futures are wanted anyways so holding onto bolton for another while not ideal may eventuate.

Also on the other side, freo may not do well this year and not so desperate. But if they get close, well, sometimes you win sometimes you lose and you gotta do whats best for the club if youre in the window. Priemships foundations are decided by the back office and getting these decisions right cos theres no opportunity once the season starts
I think Richmond can essentially set themselves up over two drafts by holding a borderline monopoly on top 20 picks this year and would be silly not to do it to keep players who dont want to be there. A medium will be reached

“Support networks are in WA” but signed a 5 year extension last year while he still had a young family that Im sure they would have anticipated expanding.
Seems as though Freo knew he had these issues before he did. Incredible 😆

Seems as though Freo knew he had these issues before he did. Incredible 😆
Pretty sure this is all new to everyone.

Would not have been in the sights, let alone this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back