Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

This is in the realm of me saying we should get both for one first, a future third and you guys paying half their salary..
The deals draft pick wise could end up look heavy in favour of Richmond for a number of reasons but it will probably due to fact tigers can take some salary if it improves the deal. That will be worth a lot to freo even by paying more first rounders.

We payed the highest draft cost in history for Jackson just the other year brought in O’Mera , Sharp , Clark and haven’t taken a 1st Rd pick in 3 years … WTF are you talking about

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
2 years but who's counting?

We paid our first rounders the previous two years to acquire a 20 year old ruckman and future first round picks. All while trading out established b22 players in their mid to late 20s. At some point the investment in youth has to end.

The deals draft pick wise could end up look heavy in favour of Richmond for a number of reasons but it will probably due to fact tigers can take some salary if it improves the deal. That will be worth a lot to freo even by paying more first rounders.

Sure, there is paying more in picks and there is the ridiculous scenario presented.

The same people who think Bolton will cost more due to being contracted are not then applying any discount to Baker for being uncontracted.

Then there are the arguments that we should pay more for Bolton because in a good team he is great, icing on the cake etc. I appreciate a creative approach, but some of the things mentioned here go to the ridiculous. Baker isn't worth any more than a late first.

Bolton imo I pick around 9-10 and a later first or early second. So if we pay 8-10 and 15 that would be hard to take, from my pov, but that probably makes it about right.

Do you really think the trade proposed was anything like value?

If you are interested look it up

If you are not do not

Either way I don’t really care

Cool - make a claim that it has been argued for 7 years and can't point to proof. I looked at the thread you mentioned and couldn't see all the freo fans making the argument you claimed.

Richmond can't afford to lose Bolton. We're likely losing Baker and Graham. We will get overs for Rioli from Gold Coast if we trade him. That's a lot of prime aged experience and talent out the door already. We do not want to nuke the list and become a basketcase for the next few years.

Bolton is a year older than Balta, who is a free agent next year. What would we be saying to Balta about his future if we trade out Shai? "Mate, sign on for a rebuild you won't see the fruits of?" It could snowball and put us off track for years.

Bolton is young enough to still be in his prime when we're good again. We can keep him and still go to the draft with a monster hand as well as extra picks in 2025. Any picks Freo can give us are outside the top tier. Picks that will end up 10 and later once they're used on draft night. In this draft? When if we trade Rioli and Baker and Cleary is on the money about Band 3 compo for Graham we could already have something like 1, 6, 11, 17, 21, 22? And even if not there's bugger all difference between a player you'll get at 15 and one at 35? Nah.

I get Freo fans don't want to pay huge overs. But unless you make it an offer too good for Richmond to refuse, I reckon we will. Refuse. 7 (10) and 12 (16)? Pass.

Richmond can't afford to lose Bolton. We're likely losing Baker and Graham. We will get overs for Rioli from Gold Coast if we trade him. That's a lot of prime aged experience and talent out the door already. We do not want to nuke the list and become a basketcase for the next few years.

Bolton is a year older than Balta, who is a free agent next year. What would we be saying to Balta about his future if we trade out Shai? "Mate, sign on for a rebuild you won't see the fruits of?" It could snowball and put us off track for years.

Bolton is young enough to still be in his prime when we're good again. We can keep him and still go to the draft with a monster hand as well as extra picks in 2025. Any picks Freo can give us are outside the top tier. Picks that will end up 10 and later once they're used on draft night. In this draft? When if we trade Rioli and Baker and Cleary is on the money about Band 3 compo for Graham we could already have something like 1, 6, 11, 17, 21, 22? And even if not there's bugger all difference between a player you'll get at 15 and one at 35? Nah.

I get Freo fans don't want to pay huge overs. But unless you make it an offer too good for Richmond to refuse, I reckon we will. Refuse. 7 (10) and 12 (16)? Pass.
I think you're bang on here. We can't predict what a deal or fair value would look like without understanding this context.

I would want to pass on 7 & 12 as well... which probably says it is about fair. I would be happier with 7 & the later first personally, and still think that is Jeremy Cameron price.

As to your rebuild - I think we were held up because we didn't cut hard enough early. We never really bottomed completely out though.

What is the expectation of when you think you will be good again? the standard seems to be 6-8 years. With two of those becoming more competitive. 26 next year, he would be 32 when you are good again - which could be fine or could be the end.

Classy player though - I wouldn't want to lose him either if I was a Tiger fan.

I don't think you're too far off, primarily because the first rounders are less valuable to Freo than Bolton. I honestly don't think they'd blink at two first rounders (something like 6/7 & 13-15, then some steak knife kind of stuff - value dependent on some of his salary being covered or not).

I'd be happy with that, in that both Freo and Richmond fans would feel slightly pissed off.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Usually means its a fair trade 🤣

I would want to pass on 7 & 12 as well... which probably says it is about fair. I would be happier with 7 & the later first personally, and still think that is Jeremy Cameron price.

As to your rebuild - I think we were held up because we didn't cut hard enough early. We never really bottomed completely out though.

What is the expectation of when you think you will be good again? the standard seems to be 6-8 years. With two of those becoming more competitive. 26 next year, he would be 32 when you are good again - which could be fine or could be the end.

Classy player though - I wouldn't want to lose him either if I was a Tiger fan.
You're not getting Bolton then. Which is fine with me because I don't want to lose him.

There is no standard for a rebuild. Who knows what we'll have after this year's draft? We already have some young talent, maybe not next-gen superstars but enough to suggest a future core. The next couple of drafts are for finding our superstars. Then you look to attract talent from other clubs, which is a shitload easier when you have Shai Bolton than when you don't.

I don't think you're too far off, primarily because the first rounders are less valuable to Freo than Bolton. I honestly don't think they'd blink at two first rounders (something like 6/7 & 13-15, then some steak knife kind of stuff - value dependent on some of his salary being covered or not).

I'd be happy with that, in that both Freo and Richmond fans would feel slightly pissed off.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sorry, you're not getting him for that. You can be slightly pissed off and keep your picks.

Because we will just take the three first to the draft? Or?
Bolton is the cream if his team ates are hungry.Win this year no need for that cream.
Those picks you can either draft or trade into next year.

Bolton is the cream if his team ates are hungry.Win this year no need for that cream.
Those picks you can either draft or trade into next year.
The only reason we wouldn't be interested in Bolton is we either can't afford him or we don't think he's a fit.

He's too good to pass up at his age and with our list demographics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool - make a claim that it has been argued for 7 years and can't point to proof. I looked at the thread you mentioned and couldn't see all the freo fans making the argument you claimed.

well than you are either blind, or have selected sight either way suit yourself

I pointed to the evidence, i am not going to waste my time calibrating it if you wont spend your time reading it

Why, I am genuinely curious what the logic is here? If they win a flag, and can get Bolton then awesome for Freo no?
Your getting a bloke to help win a flag.
Already done why spend draft capital on something that you've already achieved?
Instead get a couple of good kids in this year's draft.

Your getting a bloke to help win a flag.
Already done why spend draft capital on something that you've already achieved?
Instead get a couple of good kids in this year's draft.
Terrible logic.
2017 Tigers win the flag, they then traded in Dion Prestia (pick 6 and a second), why didn't they just get a couple of kids in given they achieved what they wanted to.....Because clubs are always looking at getting better.
On top of that Fremantle has one of the youngest lists in the AFL, their time to go is now, and their window will be open for a while.

Terrible logic.
2017 Tigers win the flag, they then traded in Dion Prestia (pick 6 and a second), why didn't they just get a couple of kids in given they achieved what they wanted to.....Because clubs are always looking at getting better.
On top of that Fremantle has one of the youngest lists in the AFL, their time to go is now, and their window will be open for a while.
Err.We traded in Prestia then won the flag.
Freo win it this year with a young group what's the point going after an experienced player when those already there have tasted success.

well than you are either blind, or have selected sight either way suit yourself

I pointed to the evidence, i am not going to waste my time calibrating it if you wont spend your time reading it

It seems like it was one poster years ago - not all the freo fans for 7 years. Huge difference.

Anyway - on this years form who do you think is the best of that bunch? I think it is close enough that it would depend on the positional need.

Terrible logic.
You were close

It was actually Tom Lynch that they got

Prestia was part of all 3 flags

Them getting Lynch to patch a big hole in their forward line is very similar to us going after Shai

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back