Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

You were close

It was actually Tom Lynch that they got

Prestia was part of all 3 flags

Them getting Lynch to patch a big hole in their forward line is very similar to us going after Shai
Nothing similar about it.
We gave up nothing for Lynch.

You were close

It was actually Tom Lynch that they got

Prestia was part of all 3 flags

Them getting Lynch to patch a big hole in their forward line is very similar to us going after Shai
Apologies, and thanks for clarifying.
The logic is flawed by Tiger_Of_Old - Freo should't chase Bolton if they win the flag because they achieved what they set out to do, therefore don't need Shai because they have a good enough team already, and/or Fremantle are better off using a draft pick rather then recruiting Shai as they will need talent coming through :thumbsdown:
They win the flag and they recruit Shai, they instantly become better again and increase their chances to win multiple flags rather then one. Shai makes a difference to any team he joins, and will do unless one of the draft picks this year has the same impact as Daicos and Sheezel did in their first years, but based on most reports there is no standout junior like Harley last year this year.
Every list makes changes every year, and adding a game changer to a list like Fremantles if they win the flag or not, rather then a draft pick is good list management. Iif Tiger_Of_Old you don't believe that, you're in the minority and blinded by your desire to find excuses of why Fremantle shouldn't chase him so he stays at Richmond.

Last edited:

The logic is flawed by Tiger_Of_Old - Freo should't chase Bolton if they win the flag because they achieved what they set out to do, therefore don't need Shai because they have a good enough team already, and/or Fremantle are better off using a draft pick rather then recruiting Shai as they will need talent coming through :thumbsdown:
They win the flag and they recruit Shai, they instantly become better again and increase their chances to win multiple flags rather then one. Shai makes a difference to any team he joins, and will do unless one of the draft picks this year has the same impact as Daicos and Sheezel did in their first years, but based on most reports there is no standout junior like Harley last year this year.
Every list makes changes every year, and adding a game changer to a list like Fremantles if they win the flag or not, rather then a draft pick is good list management. Iif Tiger_Of_Old you don't believe that, you're in the minority and blinded by your desire to find excuses of why Fremantle shouldn't chase him so he stays at Richmond.
No no, Tiger_of_old is right. Every premiership team should delist all their players and start again immediately. No one ever wants to win a second premiership.

so we have spent 3 months talking about how Baker should be traded at a discount because he is uncontracted, so I guess that means Shai gets traded at a premium because he is contracted.

Shai will only be traded if Freo bend over,

so we have spent 3 months talking about how Baker should be traded at a discount because he is uncontracted, so I guess that means Shai gets traded at a premium because he is contracted.

You state this like it is a new idea.

More than one first rounder for Shai is paying a premium because he is contracted. Given one of those will be top ten.

What is being proposed by some isn't paying a premium it is a complete rogering. And most clubs don't operate that way.

From what I have followed of Richmond they seem to have always got deals done in a close to win/win fashion. Most of ours are the same.

It would be great to get him. It would be foolish to pay more than a premium for him. We could always trade a first this year for one next year and have two this season and two next year. Not a horrible place to be for a very young top four team.

I think I want Bolton to join a little more than that scenario. But it isn't by much.

More than one first rounder for Shai is paying a premium because he is contracted. Given one of those will be top ten.

What is being proposed by some isn't paying a premium it is a complete rogering. And most clubs don't operate that way.

From what I have followed of Richmond they seem to have always got deals done in a close to win/win fashion. Most of ours are the same.

It would be great to get him. It would be foolish to pay more than a premium for him. We could always trade a first this year for one next year and have two this season and two next year. Not a horrible place to be for a very young top four team.

I think I want Bolton to join a little more than that scenario. But it isn't by much.
Richmond won't be trading Bolton for a win/win or a fair trade, he will only be traded if the offer is too good not to take. If Bolton was out of contract he'd be a top 10 pick and a mid teens pick, considering he's contracted for 4 more years it's going to take a lot more than that to twist Richmonds arm.

Brisbane got Lachie Neale in to take them to premiership.

Neale was/is a far superior player to Bolton.
6-19 and 55 for Neale and 30.

7 and 16 is more than overs

You'll get a good price for him, no doubt. Richmond are in control.

Having said that, this is Richmond's best shot at rejuvenating the list and moving on Bolton & Baker for picks is a savvy move that could set up their next flag.

Lucky for them they've identified it early, unlike WCE who kept extending senior players on big money when the window was shut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond won't be trading Bolton for a win/win or a fair trade, he will only be traded if the offer is too good not to take. If Bolton was out of contract he'd be a top 10 pick and a mid teens pick, considering he's contracted for 4 more years it's going to take a lot more than that to twist Richmonds arm.
Totally agree with this concept, hell, we've used it at times in the past (Weller, Shultz etc).

The question I have though, what sort of demeanor will Bolton have when his trade request is denied, not only this year, but the year after and the year after?

At some point, unless his desire to come home disappears, Richmond will have decide if it's worth having an unhappy Bolton on their books and are they getting approx $1m worth of performance out of him each year.

If they change their mind, there won't be a bunch of first rounders on offer next year from us and I don't think he's a natural fit at WC.

It'll be a big decision for the Richmond hierarchy, one way or another.

I think 7 and 16 is overs but you still should pay it IMO.
It makes you instantly better.

You still have your pick 12 in the draft.

Richmond won't want to trade, this has got to come directly from Bolton's camp. This could get ugly.

Last thing the club needs is someone who no longer wants to be here.

Richmond won't want to trade, this has got to come directly from Bolton's camp. This could get ugly.

Last thing the club needs is someone who does no longer want to be here.
Actually, I imagine Richmond would probably be well open to the idea, provided they get adequate compensation of course.

They'll be very aware that they don't want to get caught with their pants down trying to rebuild during the compromised Tassie drafts, as well as next year's heavily compromised draft, which will be even more so with the changes incoming.

They can massively load up this year and set themselves up long term.

This is the draft to do it.

Actually, I imagine Richmond would probably be well open to the idea, provided they get adequate compensation of course.

They'll be very aware that they don't want to get caught with their pants down trying to rebuild during the compromised Tassie drafts, as well as next year's heavily compromised draft, which will be even more so with the changes incoming.

I know the season is not over yet, so we aren't going to come out and say it publicly, but from the latest reports the club has said no again. We all know what they should do as it makes perfect sense.

I think 7 and 16 is overs but you still should pay it IMO.
It makes you instantly better.

You still have your pick 12 in the draft.

I agree to an extent - I just wouldn't be thrilled. What happens or is happening with Warner is another consideration.

As others have mentioned that is more than we got for Neale.

It seems as though he is keen though - I have no idea what our priorities are anymore :)

Richmond won't be a motivated seller, we can generate picks other ways. The only way Bolton goes is if the offer is too good to pass up, Bolton and his management would've been aware of this before they went public so they've put their trust in freo

Bolton is the one out of Rioli & Baker i don't mind losing.lol
So it doesn't bother me too much if he stays or goes.
You win a flag this year you become a good destination club that would attract a FA for free instead of what it would draft picks. Worked for us with Lynch but if you guys wanna go down the Bolton path I won't complain.

Richmond won't be a motivated seller, we can generate picks other ways. The only way Bolton goes is if the offer is too good to pass up, Bolton and his management would've been aware of this before they went public so they've put their trust in freo

Or they are putting it out there in the hopes something happens.

Ryan Daniels has come out saying it seems like it was a surprise to Freo. None of us know who has instigated this.

If Bolton has then it does take away some leverage from Richmond. not much, but some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back