Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton is a top 20 player imo, he was in 2022 and 2023 and he would be again this year if we were half decent

Richmond won't be a motivated seller, we can generate picks other ways. The only way Bolton goes is if the offer is too good to pass up, Bolton and his management would've been aware of this before they went public so they've put their trust in freo
How are you generating picks 'other' ways?

I'm not saying Richmond should be actively shopping Bolton around but if Freo puts in a good offer then they should snap it up.

Freo give day 7 & 16 and that gives you 3 picks inside 20, with 2 of them top 10.

In such an even draft, which isn't heavily compromised by FS, academy picks, PPs and compensation(like last year), having 5-6 picks inside 50 can set up the core of your next contending team in one draft.

Holding onto Bolton isn't doing that for you, IMO, and he's unlikely to be a part of the next contending team until he's at least 30.

There hasn't been a better draft in recent times to load up on.

I think the main disagreement here is exactly what is "overs". Most Freo peeps know its going to cost a lot, but is 7 and 12 overs or somehow including all three firsts this year "overs"

I'd find it pretty gross giving up all three as some want. No player goes for that much, contract or not
He won't cost 3 first rounders or he'll end up being probably the most expensive trade in history.

Absolutely not worth that much and I can't see Richmond seriously demanding it anyway.

How are you generating picks 'other' ways?

I'm not saying Richmond should be actively shopping Bolton around but if Freo puts in a good offer then they should snap it up.

Freo give day 7 & 16 and that gives you 3 picks inside 20, with 2 of them top 10.

In such an even draft, which isn't heavily compromised by FS, academy picks, PPs and compensation(like last year), having 5-6 picks inside 50 can set up the core of your next contending team in one draft.

Holding onto Bolton isn't doing that for you, IMO, and he's unlikely to be a part of the next contending team until he's at least 30.

There hasn't been a better draft in recent times to load up on.
Dan Rioli could go to the gold coast, Baker could go to WA and we have points to trade for Brisbanes first. That's 4 first rounders on top of our own first and second round picks

Rioli could go to gold coast, Baker could go to WA and we have points to trade for Brisbanes first. That's 4 first rounders on top of our own first and second round picks

Brisbane will have a lot of suitors, I imagine.

Prepare to be disappointed in what GC offer, unless Richmond pay most of his salary and pick purchase. Other clubs will be chasing those picks also.

Baker won't be going for a first, unless it's Freo's lowest.

Prepare to be disappointed in what GC offer, unless Richmond pay most of his salary and pick purchase. Other clubs will be chasing those picks also.

Gold Coast wouldn't be chasing Dan if they couldn't fit him into the salary cap so i don't buy that argument.

I think Richmond will make their real bank on holding the gluttony of picks into trade night. The offers they'll get will be nutty. Basically holding an auction on 2+ picks in that top 20 on draft night.

End of the day, if you are rebuilding, you have an elite middle aged (footy wise anyway) player who isnt an out and out leader clearly wanting out and the team he wants has more picks than you'll ever get AND it's a seemingly coveted draft.

He'll get traded, it's just a question of how much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have the most points to offer brisbane out of anyone, Gold coast have already offered pick 11 and 20 if we pay most of his salary and threaten to bid on lombard it could end up being more. Baker is definitely worth a first

Gold Coast wouldn't be chasing Dan if they couldn't fit him into the salary cap so i don't buy that argument.
They also won't be giving up 2 first rounders for him, despite what the Vic media reports.

A couple of weeks ago Jay Clark was suggesting WCE might offer pick 3 for Baker, which is fanciful.

It's about the coming years, because they need to extend their young players who will be demanding more money, not their current cap.

They also won't be giving up 2 first rounders for him, despite what the Vic media reports.

A couple of weeks ago Jay Clark was suggesting WCE might offer pick 3 for Baker, which is fanciful.

I think we will get their 1st round pick and a 2nd round.

I also think Richmond don't want to lose any of their players at all. Personally, I think we need to cash in as much as we can.

It's about the coming years, because they need to extend their young players who will be demanding more money, not their current cap.
Still don't think salary cap comes into it all at with the recent increase in TPP. All clubs have plenty of room to move hence why so many free agents have stayed this year.

I think we will get their 1st round pick and a 2nd round.

I also think Richmond don't want to lose any of their players at all. Personally, I think we need to cash in as much as we can.
That sounds more likely to me also.

I don't personally think he's worth that much but Hardwick seems keen and they are also in the position of needing to bring in more mature players for a finals push and they're getting Lombard this year anyway so they can afford to pay a bit more.

Still don't think salary cap comes into it all at with the recent increase in TPP. All clubs have plenty of room to move hence why so many free agents have stayed this year.
Could be the other way around.

There's a cap floor and if a number of Richmond's better players leave, then they're going to struggle to pay it.

Paying players to leave and get good picks in return helps prevent renegotiating current contracts and paying more to players who don't deserve it.

See Jack Bowes at GC and how that ended, for instance.

Could be the other way around.

There's a cap floor and if a number of Richmond's better players leave, then they're going to struggle to pay it.

Paying players to leave and get good picks in return helps prevent renegotiating current contracts and paying more to players who don't deserve it.

See Jack Bowes at GC and how that ended, for instance.

Does the cap floor come into anymore, wasn't there talk that teams will be able to sell off their cap space to clubs that need it? Or am i just wishful thinking? haha

Does the cap floor come into anymore, wasn't there talk that teams will be able to sell off their cap space to clubs that need it? Or am i just wishful thinking? haha
"Pick purchasing" as Cal likes to call it is effectively already here (see this thread). Clubs are just creative in how they are doing it.

Wishful thinking at this stage but apparently the clubs want it brought in.

It's another avenue for bottom teams to better their list faster, without the AFL handing out PPs. A good idea I think.

Bolton is a top 20 player imo, he was in 2022 and 2023 and he would be again this year if we were half decent

Probably around the 40-55 mark. All Australian 2022, not in the squad for 2021 and 2023.
Won´t be in the squad this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back