Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been my understanding, from first hearing about this, that it was, indeed, Bolton that started discussions.

Freo had enough they were working on, even Bolton didn’t expect anything to be a chance this year.

Things have obviously changed, but the initial request was He’d like to look at heading home, at some stage.

Really think this was no chance, until a) Warner committed to seeing out his contract and b) the pies crashed down the ladder giving us a top 10 pick.

The shadow boxing from all three sides, and their mouthpieces, is going to be very fun to watch
Certainly wasn't the initial report which is what I've been saying. We won't be providing a discount on it either. I'm sure he will get over it if Freo don't value him highly anyway 😁

Yes I know. But why are you ignoring the initial report of Freo tapping him up which was a month ago?

There is nothing unusual about this.

Club taps up interstate player. Player says I want to go home for personal reasons. Daniels has put a nice Freo spin on it and Freo fans have lapped it up.

We won't be trading him cheaply because he has a kid.
I don't know what you mean. What is tapping up?

I wasn't arguing at all, I just wondered if you had read the article;.

I have posted it now, Did you read it?

My goodness. This thread may have done the Arthur Fonzarelii.

View attachment 2066966

2 1st rounders for a small forward. Good grief.
You're really underselling him there.
He's much more than a "small forward".

To put it in perspective, you're probably going to end with pick 7 for your small forward in Shultz.
Nick Watson is a small forward who just went at pick 5.

A contracted Bolton is worth 2 first rounders every day of the week.

Certainly wasn't the initial report which is what I've been saying. We won't be providing a discount on it either. I'm sure he will get over it if Freo don't value him highly anyway 😁
Yeah, and I’m saying that info is wrong.

Don’t expect a discount btw.
Think pick 7 is fair if he was out of contract.
The extra first is the overs.

Would have loved a couple of first round pick to accelerate the rebuild from a 6g, 30d capable walters a few years ago.

Love Sonny, but would have been good to see him get some success while getting us out of the shit.

But then the admin was in shambles at the time, so we probably would have just have sstuffed it up anyway.

I wonder if Richmond would be interested in Erasmus as a part of this trade. Can’t break into midfield past Fyfe, Young and Brayshaw, but racks it up in the WAFL.

Massive tank, very competitive, former high draft pick and a big body, good overhead, runs both ways says, but kicking can be a bit hit and miss. Also very professional and a solid citizen.

Would be young enough to be part of the next push, but developed enough to carry the load inside the centre whilst the Tigers top up on young top end talent.

Wouldn’t want to lose him, clear Fyfe successor for Freo, but can see him requesting a trade for more opportunities.

I won’t speculate around what else that trade would look like. Freo supporters will say massive unders, Tigers fans massive overs. Also not sure how Erasmus would be valued by either side.

I wonder if Richmond would be interested in Erasmus as a part of this trade. Can’t break into midfield past Fyfe, Young and Brayshaw, but racks it up in the WAFL.

Massive tank, very competitive, former high draft pick and a big body, good overhead, runs both ways says, but kicking can be a bit hit and miss. Also very professional and a solid citizen.

Would be young enough to be part of the next push, but developed enough to carry the load inside the centre whilst the Tigers top up on young top end talent.

Wouldn’t want to lose him, clear Fyfe successor for Freo, but can see him requesting a trade for more opportunities.

I won’t speculate around what else that trade would look like. Freo supporters will say massive unders, Tigers fans massive overs. Also not sure how Erasmus would be valued by either side.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

If Erasmus wanted out, surely WC would be a better for him.

To put it in perspective, you're probably going to end with pick 7 for your small forward in Shultz.

I agree he can be more than a small forward. His numbers are pretty much small forward numbers though - especially his averages in finals.

7-8 would be fair if he wasn't contracted. The other first and some salary back is overs, but should be enough with him contracted. A very high price to pay for a very good, but inconsistent player.

Come now, that’s a bit disingenuous. A future first from the reigning premier is valued at the time of trade around pick 15-18. Pies were flag favourites at start of the year. In no world is Shultz worth pick 7 on an open market

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trade for Schultz included an F1

Where Collingwood ended up had nothing to do with the trade at the time it was made. I really hope up can see that. If not, I think we can leave it here.

And, to put it in to your perspective, name for me 3 small forwards who have been traded for 2 1st rounders.

Rankin - no
Cameron - no
Bolton - ?

If Erasmus wanted out, surely WC would be a better for him.

Doubt Freo want to trade with the Eagles, would have to pay overs which they won’t in a rebuild.

Tigers would be a good fit - fans in this thread will understandably think it is a charity offload, but for the right price they’d be pleasantly surprised imo.

Izak Rankin went for pick 6. That's it. No 2 first rounders. Surely you're not suggesting he's better than Rankin?

We've entered fantasy land.

Fantasy land ?

Is that the place where Rankine was a key player in 2 flags?

Or is the place where he has finished top 4 in the best and fairest 4 years in row, one of which he won a flag?

Doubt Freo want to trade with the Eagles, would have to pay overs which they won’t in a rebuild.

Tigers would be a good fit - fans in this thread will understandably think it is a charity offload, but for the right price they’d be pleasantly surprised imo.
Yes but Erasmus would probably prefer to stay in WA if he could.

Last edited:
Fantasy land ?

Is that the place where Rankine was a key player in 2 flags?

Or is the place where he has finished top 4 in the best and fairest 4 years in row, one of which he won a flag?
Richmond wasn't top 4 last year or this. You're just making things up now. A but like, oh, one might say, fantasy?

I can see we're done here. You're not entering into a conversation.

I agree he can be more than a small forward. His numbers are pretty much small forward numbers though - especially his averages in finals.
Bolton was a pure small forward in the 2019 finals, as a 20-year-old:
  • 13 disposals, 4 tackles, 3 goal assists (that's a lot) and goal in interstate qualifying final win. Was one of the sparks in the second quarter after the Lions jumped us
  • 10 disposals, 2 goal assists in super-hot prelim against the second-best team in the comp
  • 11 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal in grand final.

They were the 26th, 27th and 28th games of his career.

In 2020 he was spending time in the midfield as well as forward. We had shortened games, which skews your averages:
  • 17 disposals, 4 clearances and a goal in interstate qualifying final loss. One of our best.
  • 11 disposals, 3 goals in semi. Again in our best.
  • 15 disposals, 3 clearances, 1 goal assist in unbelievably tight, wet, interstate prelim. Another excellent performance.
  • 16 disposals, 7 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 goal assists in one of the hottest grand finals. Was one of the best handful of players on the ground.

These were games 44-47 of his career, aged 21.

10 disposals and 2 goals in interstate 2022 elimination final robbery. Probably his worst final.

Izak Rankin went for pick 6. That's it. No 2 first rounders. Surely you're not suggesting he's better than Rankin?

We've entered fantasy land.
Rankine went for pick 5 and was uncontracted. At the time he was nowhere near the player Bolton is.

We're fully stocked for slow mids who can't kick, thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back