Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously "decent"?

When's he's on, he's elite.
Really? Bolton to me is a decent player (when hes on) but hes nowhere near at the level neale was when he was traded. To me theres a decent gap.
I think it's hard because despite some Richmonds fans insistence there is a very large gap between his best and worst. His best is top 5 but we don't see it enough.

This does all make me think 7 and 12 is an extremely large amount to pay though so some decent salary or picks hopefully come with it.

I think it's hard because despite some Richmonds fans insistence there is a very large gap between his best and worst. His best is top 5 but we don't see it enough.

This does all make me think 7 and 12 is an extremely large amount to pay though so some decent salary or picks hopefully come with it.
Maybe because he's a highlights package he gets judged more harshly.

Top 4 finishes in the last 4 years tells me you're getting a pretty consistent player.

I think 7 and 16 is pretty much spot on.

So, you're in the camp who reckons Freo will pay the biggest price for a small forward in the history of the AFL.

Wouldn't surprise me given it's Freo.

FMD. We're are hard club to support sometimes, but I guess we'll see before we jump out of windows.
mate he isn't just a small forward

he is a forward/mid

Freo probably play him mostly as a small forward but lets be honest, thats not where he has been playing.

Have to pay up if we want him

Geelong fans are still coping

Have some sympathy
Was never leaving

Freo fans having wet dreams

We sure it is other fans who are coping?

Or do you think the reports of Bolton instigating this aren't true? It is surprising for good journos to come out so strongly with something if there is nothing to it.

I appreciate the effort here - thank you.

He spent time mid and as a forward - are you agreeing that he has pretty much small forward numbers? He is impactful, and in his last finals appearance he had very much small forward numbers. I am not trying to criticise here, it is just an observation.

There are some here claiming he is a top 20 player league wide - those numbers don't back that up. Do I want him and would he be valuable? Yes and very! His numbers are small forward like and he should still get better.

I can see both sets of fans being a little unhappy with what the final deal is to be honest.
No. Small forward numbers are Charlie Cameron: 11.3 disposals, 1.8 goals per game career average. Elite small forward. Bolton averages 17.3 and 1.2 (and 3.1 clearances). Elite hybrid.

I mean yes? We know Bolton is pretty good and he's contracted for 3 years.
4 years.

"Decent".
Seriously?

When's he's on, he's elite.

To me the elite players back it up week to week (i understand others would define elite differently) and bolton is far too inconsistent to be elite. He has potential and he could iron that out and become elite at a new club or he might never get there. If i was freo i wouldnt trade 2 first rounders and take that risk on him.

To me the elite players back it up week to week (i understand others would define elite differently) and bolton is far too inconsistent to be elite. He has potential and he could iron that out and become elite at a new club or he might never get there. If i was freo i wouldnt trade 2 first rounders and take that risk on him.
Didn't call him elite.
The comment was "when he's on".

And when he's on, he is elite.

No. Small forward numbers are Charlie Cameron: 11.3 disposals, 1.8 goals per game career average. Elite small forward. Bolton averages 17.3 and 1.2 (and 3.1 clearances). Elite hybrid.

4 years.

In those finals did he average 17?

Which was what we have been discussing. He averages 10.3 in those games. And had 10 in his last final as an elite hybrid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he doesn't.

He's been a very good finals player.

Sorry - 12.8...

Are those elite mid fwd numbers? And his most recent was 10.

Again - he is a classy player, but has been inconsistent as he is again today against North. A team who is at your level this year, so there can't be the excuse that your team isn't good enough against todays competition.

Didn't call him elite.
The comment was "when he's on".

And when he's on, he is elite.

Fair enough but to me thats not elite by definition. You cant be elite just when youre on.

Sorry - 12.8...

Are those elite mid fwd numbers? And his most recent was 10.

Again - he is a classy player, but has been inconsistent as he is again today against North. A team who is at your level this year, so there can't be the excuse that your team isn't good enough against todays competition.
As I pointed out, in the first 3 of those 8 finals, he was playing exclusively as a small forward. Aged 20. In the 2020 semi against St Kilda and the 2022 elimination against Brisbane was pretty much exclusive as well. The others he was hybrid, and was fantastic.

Sounds like you don't want him. Cool with me.

Fair enough but to me thats not elite by definition. You cant be elite just when youre on.
I don't know what point you're trying to make TBH.
Bolton is a match winner when he's on.

He's not going to accumulate 25 possessions a game.
He's going to have quiet games, but he can win you games.

You can have players like Hopper who will get his 25 possessions a game.

He's not one of them.

It's not like you don't know what you're getting.

As I pointed out, in the first 3 of those 8 finals, he was playing exclusively as a small forward. Aged 20. In the 2020 semi against St Kilda and the 2022 elimination against Brisbane was pretty much exclusive as well. The others he was hybrid, and was fantastic.

Sounds like you don't want him. Cool with me.

ok - so he has averaged 12.8 in finals and in his last final he had 10. Today he has been in the midfield a lot and had it 11 times last I checked.

I want him - I just don't think he can be called an elite Mid/Fwd. He hasn't shown that.

Has anyone really called him elite though?

Yes

4 years.

Also the cost you are suggesting is fair is the price bracket for an elite player. Would you agree with that?

Yes

Also the cost you are suggesting is fair is the price bracket for an elite player. Would you agree with that?
Fair enough.
Would be interesting to see what neutrals think of his value.

The cost is what you pay for a match winner.
He could genuinely win you 3 or 4 games a year.

I've said several times I think 7 and 12 for a contracted Bolton is fair.

Fair enough.
Would be interesting to see what neutrals think of his value.

The cost is what you pay for a match winner.
He could genuinely win you 3 or 4 games a year.

I've said several times I think 7 and 12 for a contracted Bolton is fair.

Yes I know - you have also said you are not saying he is elite, but can be when he is in form.

My question again is - do you agree that the price you are proposing is what you would pay for an all out elite player?

Yes I know - you have also said you are not saying he is elite, but can be when he is in form.

My question again is - do you agree that the price you are proposing is what you would pay for an all out elite player?
I don't know how many times I have to say it, but 7 and 16 for an uncontracted Bolton is fair to me.

It's semantics really.
Whether you want to call someone an A grader, elite or whatever.
At the end of the day, a club will pay what they think he's worth to get him.

In the end, the market will dictate his price.
Not me, you or anyone else.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but 7 and 16 for an uncontracted Bolton is fair to me.

It's semantics really.
Whether you want to call someone an A grader, elite or whatever.
At the end of the day, a club will pay what they think he's worth to get him.

In the end, the market will dictate his price.
Not me, you or anyone else.
Hilarious reply - you have argued with another poster that you didn't say he was elite. Just elite on his day. You then questioned me on who had called him elite - I provided evidence.

I am asking if you think the price you think is fair rates him as elite - simple yes or no.

And of course the club will only pay what they think is fair. Value society wide is determined by what someone is willing to pay. That is not a groundbreaking thought or something that should enter this discussion. It is like looking at an ocean and saying people will only go for a swim if they want to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back