Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol trading out players for picks we’ve done great

I think we payed the highest price in trade history for Jackson and he’s been okish at that sort of a cost , if we were losing and he was performing the same everyone would hate it

Having a Quick Look at the top 8 Geelong with Jeremy Cameron is about the only trade around about how much you guys want for Bolton

Not sure where all this ‘ you have to do big trades to win a flag ‘ comes from

Smart trades ? Sure

Big trades ? Doesn’t look like it too me

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not trying to sell Bolton, I want to keep him.

Some serious under rating of Shai in here. Its almost like people think arguing for a lower trade in here changes anything.

There is currently 1 player that in each of the last 3 seasons has averaged 17+ disposals and a goal per game. His name is Shai Bolton. Bont has done it in 2 of those years.

Shai is a gun and I love watching him play, his speed and ball winning around the ball, his shots at goal are right at the top end of the AFL, especially when you look at smaller players.

2022 played more as a small forward with stints on the ball - 17.5 touches, 1.9 goals per game.
2023 played a bit more on ball - 21.7 touches, 1.4 goals per game
2024 played almost exclusively as a small forward (many Tigers fans think Yze has got this completely wrong, as many times we have watched him standing completely isolated as the deepest forward), still got 17.5 touches and 1.5 goals.

I'll factor in that I don't want to lose him, he's actually one of the reasons why going to watch the footy has been enjoyable for many years. Whilst I loved watching Cotch, those players that make you stand up and notice, Rance, Dusty, Bolton and very very rare to have around your club, and as I say I don't want to lose him.

I'm actually shocked at some of the Dockers supporters in here, frankly if thats how you rate him, I really hope you guys don't get him, I'd hate for you guys to get to watch him when you compare him to others.

Comparisons to Charlie Cameron completely miss what you get up the ground with him, and his goal averages aren't even that far off Cameron, clean up some of that kicking for goal and he kicks more than Cameron even playing a bit higher up the ground.

Personally (and you can take this with a pinch of salt), but I reckon it will take as a minimum 2 of those round 1 draft picks (especially with them sliding), we will try and get all 3 but we have plenty of picks later in the draft to give back to tidy up the trade. We traded into this draft with the aim to trade our picks up, and I suspect what we get for Bolton (if he goes), may also be impacted by any Rioli trade, we'd be looking to trade into the GC picks if we could (we'd need to get some future picks which is where I see Baker - again I think 2 2nds from West Coast with at least 1 3rd going back).

We will be very fair with later picks, we have a plethora of them, but if giving them up gets better higher picks, we'll be doing that, theres only so many we can turnover in 1 year, and these trades (if Bolton and Rioli go) will almost certainly include some salary cap in there.

If Freo plan to go for Warner (personally I think thats unlikely and just plain hope from Freo fans as I don't see him leaving Sydney) but you can deal with that at the time, the AFL are talking about allowing trading from 2 years in the future from next year so gives more options if that trade opens up, and if thats a possibility then I definitely think Richmond will be paying some of Shais salary if he goes. Contracted for 4 years, paying I would guess a fairly good sum to his salary, you won't get that and a player of Shai's ability without giving up picks.

A lot of people totally over value picks, personally I'd prefer to keep him than getting those 3 first rounders with us giving 2-3 picks back, but if he wants to go home for family reasons, Richmond tend to be good about those things.

Freo IMO if Bolton is available and they don't pay up to get him would be idiots. Your list has a great defence (top 2) but they don't score enough (7th I think) and Bolton would change that, not only from kicking goals himself, but he does try and bring others into the game to kick goals too. Besides Treacy and Amiss, you have Sturt on 1.7 goals per game as a medium, then what else? Not enough goals means you won't compete against the better teams, but if Freo fans don't want him, then more fool you. I'd prefer to keep him, and I doubt the club would have even considered any offer this year unless he had expressed a desire to go home (which is still very much a rumour at this stage).

Some serious under rating of Shai in here. Its almost like people think arguing for a lower trade in here changes anything.

There is currently 1 player that in each of the last 3 seasons has averaged 17+ disposals and a goal per game. His name is Shai Bolton. Bont has done it in 2 of those years.

Shai is a gun and I love watching him play, his speed and ball winning around the ball, his shots at goal are right at the top end of the AFL, especially when you look at smaller players.

2022 played more as a small forward with stints on the ball - 17.5 touches, 1.9 goals per game.
2024 played almost exclusively as a small forward (many Tigers fans think Yze has got this completely wrong, as many times we have watched him standing completely isolated as the deepest forward), still got 17.5 touches and 1.5 goals.

I'll factor in that I don't want to lose him, he's actually one of the reasons why going to watch the footy has been enjoyable for many years. Whilst I loved watching Cotch, those players that make you stand up and notice, Rance, Dusty, Bolton and very very rare to have around your club, and as I say I don't want to lose him.

I'm actually shocked at some of the Dockers supporters in here, frankly if thats how you rate him, I really hope you guys don't get him, I'd hate for you guys to get to watch him when you compare him to others.

Comparisons to Charlie Cameron completely miss what you get up the ground with him, and his goal averages aren't even that far off Cameron, clean up some of that kicking for goal and he kicks more than Cameron even playing a bit higher up the ground.

Personally (and you can take this with a pinch of salt), but I reckon it will take as a minimum 2 of those round 1 draft picks (especially with them sliding), we will try and get all 3 but we have plenty of picks later in the draft to give back to tidy up the trade. We traded into this draft with the aim to trade our picks up, and I suspect what we get for Bolton (if he goes), may also be impacted by any Rioli trade, we'd be looking to trade into the GC picks if we could (we'd need to get some future picks which is where I see Baker - again I think 2 2nds from West Coast with at least 1 3rd going back).

We will be very fair with later picks, we have a plethora of them, but if giving them up gets better higher picks, we'll be doing that, theres only so many we can turnover in 1 year, and these trades (if Bolton and Rioli go) will almost certainly include some salary cap in there.

If Freo plan to go for Warner (personally I think thats unlikely and just plain hope from Freo fans as I don't see him leaving Sydney) but you can deal with that at the time, the AFL are talking about allowing trading from 2 years in the future from next year so gives more options if that trade opens up, and if thats a possibility then I definitely think Richmond will be paying some of Shais salary if he goes. Contracted for 4 years, paying I would guess a fairly good sum to his salary, you won't get that and a player of Shai's ability without giving up picks.

A lot of people totally over value picks, personally I'd prefer to keep him than getting those 3 first rounders with us giving 2-3 picks back, but if he wants to go home for family reasons, Richmond tend to be good about those things.

Freo IMO if Bolton is available and they don't pay up to get him would be idiots. Your list has a great defence (top 2) but they don't score enough (7th I think) and Bolton would change that, not only from kicking goals himself, but he does try and bring others into the game to kick goals too. Besides Treacy and Amiss, you have Sturt on 1.7 goals per game as a medium, then what else? Not enough goals means you won't compete against the better teams, but if Freo fans don't want him, then more fool you. I'd prefer to keep him, and I doubt the club would have even considered any offer this year unless he had expressed a desire to go home (which is still very much a rumour at this stage).
1000010294.gif

I think some very good points and well written, but let me put on the fire and get a glass of red first.

Audiobook?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s forward structure and inside 50 entries have been horrificly bad for a good two or three seasons now.

Shai kicked 43.41 in 2022 when Lynch kicked 63.27.
Bolton is a lot more dangerous when Lynch plays and is providing the big target he needs to reference off.

I could see Shai really thriving in Freos system and he will also give them a player who has plenty of experience in big games at the MCG if it comes to that point.

I understand the back and forth games that are played on online forums like this but I guarantee you that Freos coaching staff would absolutely giddy at the thought of adding Shai to that list.

Richmond’s forward structure and inside 50 entries have been horrificly bad for a good two or three seasons now.

Shai kicked 43.41 in 2022 when Lynch kicked 63.27.
Bolton is a lot more dangerous when Lynch plays and is providing the big target he needs to reference off.

I could see Shai really thriving in Freos system and he will also give them a player who has plenty of experience in big games at the MCG if it comes to that point.

I understand the back and forth games that are played on online forums like this but I guarantee you that Freos coaching staff would absolutely giddy at the thought of adding Shai to that list.
So what would you accept in trade?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I always love the posturing between supporter groups.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

Would absolutely love Bolton at our club. 100% improves us and would likely thrive.

Worth? Well this is where I love the opinions.

OOC - mid to late first
Fire sale to rebuild - still a late first
4 years to run - 2 firsts with a 3rd coming back.

Where the posturing between clubs will fall is on what firsts or what come back.

Currently Freo hold 8, 13, 16
Picks that may matter for Richmond are currently 21, 33, 39, 41, 51

Let’s leave future picks out of it, although if a deal is done they’re almost certain to feature.

I think par lies around 13, 16 with 33 coming back.

BUT Richmond will demand 8 and 13 and rightfully so. Perhaps in that scenario we could squeeze 21 back.

BUT Freo are certain to baulk at that asking price even with the coveted 21 coming back.

Hence games begin. Hypotheticals drawn up. The drama and intrigue for a week plus endless trade radio speculations.

Chad Warner does come into consideration.

If I’m Freo I’m placing pick 8 on the table and giving them 48 hours. Richmond won’t accept, but they had their chance. I’m then trading 8 to someone wanting to move up the draft for a late first and future first. Someone will pay that.

Freo are then armed with 13,16, 17~18 plus 2 future firsts.

Richmond can have 13 and 16 or 13 and a future first. We can have some token pick back, probably a future 4th or something equally non consequential.

I think it’s fair for both. What it will boil down to is how the pick 8 is used.

I don’t think Freo will want to give that and extras up and don’t think Richmond will accept just that.

Let the negotiations commence!

I should add I think there’s a massive chance Freo pay extra if Richmond pay a chunk of his salary, which is highly likely.

Can easily see us giving up 8 and 13 and the question is no longer draft pick value but cap space value.

The real negotiations may be based around the amount paid. The picks become somewhat inconsequential in that scenario and if we can land Bolton on a reduced contract we may part with our 2 best first outright.

I should add I think there’s a massive chance Freo pay extra if Richmond pay a chunk of his salary, which is highly likely.

Can easily see us giving up 8 and 13 and the question is no longer draft pick value but cap space value.

The real negotiations may be based around the amount paid. The picks become somewhat inconsequential in that scenario and if we can land Bolton on a reduced contract we may part with our 2 best first outright.

We will definitely be paying a chunk of his salary to get extra picks and do the same with Rioli to GC.

Freo being able to play well over the cap for the next 3 years would be pretty handy in a premiership window surely.

With Baker leaving as well we will be miles under the cap, whatever happens with Rioli and Bolton.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I always love the posturing between supporter groups.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

Would absolutely love Bolton at our club. 100% improves us and would likely thrive.

Worth? Well this is where I love the opinions.

OOC - mid to late first
Fire sale to rebuild - still a late first
4 years to run - 2 firsts with a 3rd coming back.

Where the posturing between clubs will fall is on what firsts or what come back.

Currently Freo hold 8, 13, 16
Picks that may matter for Richmond are currently 21, 33, 39, 41, 51

Let’s leave future picks out of it, although if a deal is done they’re almost certain to feature.

I think par lies around 13, 16 with 33 coming back.

BUT Richmond will demand 8 and 13 and rightfully so. Perhaps in that scenario we could squeeze 21 back.

BUT Freo are certain to baulk at that asking price even with the coveted 21 coming back.

Hence games begin. Hypotheticals drawn up. The drama and intrigue for a week plus endless trade radio speculations.

Chad Warner does come into consideration.

If I’m Freo I’m placing pick 8 on the table and giving them 48 hours. Richmond won’t accept, but they had their chance. I’m then trading 8 to someone wanting to move up the draft for a late first and future first. Someone will pay that.

Freo are then armed with 13,16, 17~18 plus 2 future firsts.

Richmond can have 13 and 16 or 13 and a future first. We can have some token pick back, probably a future 4th or something equally non consequential.

I think it’s fair for both. What it will boil down to is how the pick 8 is used.

I don’t think Freo will want to give that and extras up and don’t think Richmond will accept just that.

Let the negotiations commence!
If Fremantle think Bolton will get them a flag they will pay up. Picks are over rated anyway

Tigers will be asking for your first two picks without a doubt.
There will be salary discussions, possible future picks and/or late picks being transacted. But it’s going to revolve around your first two draft picks.
Yeah I actually agree. It all depends on if Richmond is prepared to pay part of the salary for Bolton. Fitting him in will be very difficult if the contract is not lowered for Freo. If our two firsts are on the table and Richmond pay part of his salary then I think the trades works out for both sides. Richmond looks likely to be way under their 2025 salary cap if they loose Bolton and Martin alone so it could be the right time for them to make a trade and pay part of Boltons salary.

How confident Freo is at getting Warner might also play a role in what Freo offer. I do think Bolton would benefit playing deep next to treacy in the same way he benefited playing deep next to Lynch in terms of kicking more goals.

Tigers will be asking for your first two picks without a doubt.
There will be salary discussions, possible future picks and/or late picks being transacted. But it’s going to revolve around your first two draft picks.

Seems likely. I think we’d ask for a future pick back. Looks like we will need the points & capital.

Yeah I actually agree. It all depends on if Richmond is prepared to pay part of the salary for Bolton. Fitting him in will be very difficult if the contract is not lowered for Freo. If our two firsts are on the table and Richmond pay part of his salary then I think the trades works out for both sides. Richmond looks likely to be way under their 2025 salary cap if they loose Bolton and Martin alone so it could be the right time for them to make a trade and pay part of Boltons salary.

How confident Freo is at getting Warner might also play a role in what Freo offer. I do think Bolton would benefit playing deep next to treacy in the same way he benefited playing deep next to Lynch in terms of kicking more goals.
We appear to be losing a ridiculous portion of our salary cap. We will pay some salary no doubt about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back