Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

West coast for the rebuild. Baker mainly going to Freo due to house in WA.
Read I See GIF by Mammoth Screen

If Fremantle think Bolton will get them a flag they will pay up. Picks are over rated anyway

If Brisbane think Neale will get them a flag they will pay up.
Neale was and is a massively superior player to Bolton. I don’t think anyone can disagree with that. Two, possibly three Brownlows later…

So far superior player to Bolton cost 6 and 19 and 55 for Neale and 30.

So a pick very slightly higher than the current first we have available, a first round pick worse than every first we have available and a 25 pick upgrade.

In what world is Bolton costing us more than Neale cost Brisbane?

Neale was and is a massively superior player to Bolton. I don’t think anyone can disagree with that. Two, possibly three Brownlows later…

So a pick very slightly higher than the current first we have available, a first round pick worse than every first we have available and a 25 pick upgrade.

because there are 20 players like Neal in the league and only 2/3 like Bolton

It is a demand and supply issue

I don't think you should be comparing it to just the Neale trade, Shiel is another one that is similar when traded. 2 first round picks with one being very good would be the asking price with something coming back.

He is a match winner. You pay to get those types if you think the flag window is open. He will be a top 5 player in the game once at Fremantle and more important to Fremantle than a low impact accumulator like Neale

You are discounting the fact that Shai is contracted for the long term. You are also ignoring the fact, that players of this caliber being available are far and few between, if they pick your club, you make it happen.

Its also stupid to compare trades as though they are some kind of like for like, no 2 trades are the same. You need to consider,

Contracted
Not contracted
Pay scale
Impact on team they are leaving
Impact on team they choose
Players available
Premiership window
List balance

Just simply saying Neale trade was this so Shai is this is short sighted and naïve, Neale also went to another level at the Lions, do Freo think Shai has another level, at his age, you would hope so.

Trades aren't always valued on "who's the better player gets a higher trade value".

There's a lot more too it than that including player type, the needs of both the buyer and the seller, the age of the player, the list positions of the two trading clubs, the contract status, the offer being made, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would argue there’s definitely not 20 players like Neale.

Players as good as or better than Neale in playing his position

Brayshaw
Serong
Treloar
Daicos
Green
Sheezel
Anderson
Rowell
Cripps
Merrett
Butters
Laird
Bont
LDU
Dunkley
MCCluggage
Young
Heeney
Warner
Walsh

Most of them are better, the others around about as good

Don't get me wrong Neale is a gun, but he is alot more common than Shai, and Shai is contracted

Players as good as or better than Neale in playing his position

Brayshaw
Serong
Treloar
Daicos
Green
Sheezel
Anderson
Rowell
Cripps
Merrett
Butters
Laird
Bont
LDU
Dunkley
MCCluggage
Young
Heeney
Warner
Walsh

Most of them are better, the others around about as good

Don't get me wrong Neale is a gun, but he is alot more common than Shai, and Shai is contracted

Most of them are better or as good…
*in your opinion.

Which is obviously wrong haha.

There wasn’t 20 of them. He was a dual B&F when he left. Taken his game to a new level, yeah, but he was already an elite mid at Freo
Dual B&F wow...
In 2018,
At Port Adelaide
Chad Wingard 2x All Australian, 1x BnF
Travis Boak 2x All Australian, 1x BnF
Robbie Gray 4x All Australian, 3x BnF

I mean I've got three more credentialled players at a single club.
Patrick Cripps, 2x B&F 1x All Australian
Bontempelli 2x B&F, 1x All Australian
Dustin Martin 3x B&F 3x All Australian
Scott Pendlebury 5x All Australian, 5x BnF
Nat Fyfe 1x Brownlow, 2x BnF, 2x All Australian
Gary Ablett Jnr 6x BnF, 2x Brownlow, 8x All Australiam
Joel Selwood 6x All Australia,, 3x BnF
Patrick Dangerfield 6x All Australian 2x BnF, 1x Brownlow
Tom Mitchell 2x BnF, 2x All Australian, 1xBrownlow

Do I need to keep going? And this is without even getting into quality players at other teams that may not have the 2x BnF accolade. Like say Ollie Wines.

There's a lot of players at Lachie Neale's level in 2018.

The claims of Shai Bolton being even unique are just as silly.

Last edited:
Dual B&F wow...
In 2018,
At Port Adelaide

Do I need to keep going? And this is without even getting into quality players at other teams that may not have the 2x BnF accolade. Like say Ollie Wines.

Players in the league averaging 1.5 goals, 17.5 possessions, 3.5 clearances

Warner
Rankine
Bolton

Dual B&F wow...
In 2018,
At Port Adelaide

Yeah keep going, you said 20.
That’s 12.

I didn’t disagree that Boltons unique, just challenged the Neale tripe.

Yeah keep going, you said 20.
That’s 12.

I didn’t disagree that Boltons unique, just challenged the Neale tripe.
Fine.
Rory Laird 2x All Australian, 1x BnF
Matt Crouch 1x All Australian, 1x BnF
Rory Sloane 1x All Australian, 1x BnF
Luke Hodge 3x All Australian, 2x Norm Smiths, 2x BnF
Sam Mitchell 1x Brownlow, 3x All Australian 5x BnF
Elliot Yeo 2x BnF, 1x All Australian
Steele Sidebottom 2x BnF, 1x All Australian
Trent Cotchin 3x BnF, 1x Brownlow, 1x All Australian
Clayton Oliver 1x BnF, 1x All Australian

There we go, 20 players that have more impressive allocades than Lachie Neale's 2x BnF at Freo.

And thats without even thinking about getting into thinking about:
Ollie Wines
Adam Treloar
Jack MacRae
Josh Dunkley
Luke Schuey
Dion Prestia
Clayton Oliver

Conversely, there are 20 players on a similar level to Shai Bolton this season off half forward if you're just arguing Neale against a blanket midfielder without considering their role in the side and their impact in it. I think it's silly just listing midfielders at the time (or forwards now) to compare the players when you're looking at a very particular skillset for each (Neale as an incredibly polished contested ball winner who gets first hands or Bolton as a mercurial small forward who can excite with his dash and leap).

Additionally, there are other considerations like the impact of various roles on sides and their structures. The engine room is the most important part of the modern game and having players in there who win the ball is what decides most games. Forwards can only convert the opportunities they are provided and vice versa for defenders stopping the opposition. The value of a player to a side is very debatable but in terms of trade value, I think Neale to Freo back then and Bolton to Richmond are on a similar level and both would be under contract meaning it's a realistic comparison.

Freo don't really play a structure that is heavily built around small forwards with more of a focus on tall leading players and elite runners threading the ball forward via hand. Bolton could well add to that and would be an upgrade as a player but I don't think he's a need or even required for a premiership assault next season given where Freo's list is at.

I'd like Bolton at Freo but the suggested trade deals and cost are far too excessive and it's not worth throwing away all of our capital both in draft picks and salary cap space for him. Warner is much more of a priority and if need be would fill a similar role rotating mid and forward. He's a superior player IMO, much younger and fits our list profile far better.

I wouldn't do anything to sacrifice that deal which means the Bolton deal would need to be along the same lines of that Neale trade with some salary being paid. If Richmond don't want to do that then that's perfectly fine, I'm pretty comfortable with where the Freo list is at and the large amount of development still left in it.

Conversely, there are 20 players on a similar level to Shai Bolton this season off half forward if you're just arguing Neale against a blanket midfielder without considering their role in the side and their impact in it. I think it's silly just listing midfielders at the time (or forwards now) to compare the players when you're looking at a very particular skillset for each (Neale as an incredibly polished contested ball winner who gets first hands or Bolton as a mercurial small forward who can excite with his dash and leap).

Additionally, there are other considerations like the impact of various roles on sides and their structures. The engine room is the most important part of the modern game and having players in there who win the ball is what decides most games. Forwards can only convert the opportunities they are provided and vice versa for defenders stopping the opposition. The value of a player to a side is very debatable but in terms of trade value, I think Neale to Freo back then and Bolton to Richmond are on a similar level and both would be under contract meaning it's a realistic comparison.

Freo don't really play a structure that is heavily built around small forwards with more of a focus on tall leading players and elite runners threading the ball forward via hand. Bolton could well add to that and would be an upgrade as a player but I don't think he's a need or even required for a premiership assault next season given where Freo's list is at.

I'd like Bolton at Freo but the suggested trade deals and cost are far too excessive and it's not worth throwing away all of our capital both in draft picks and salary cap space for him. Warner is much more of a priority and if need be would fill a similar role rotating mid and forward. He's a superior player IMO, much younger and fits our list profile far better.

I wouldn't do anything to sacrifice that deal which means the Bolton deal would need to be along the same lines of that Neale trade with some salary being paid. If Richmond don't want to do that then that's perfectly fine, I'm pretty comfortable with where the Freo list is at and the large amount of development still left in it.
No there isnt, there is 2 others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back