Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a the type of player we need. But we shouldn't overpay for him. Richmond are going to want as many first round draft picks as they can get before Tassie enters. I don't think the bargaining power is all one way.

His long contract though means they need to pay well.

This year hasn't been his best, probably think he's had his heart elsewhere if he's moving, probably not quite all in. I also think he's not the guy that has the motivation in a losing side, in a good team, he feeds off that and can dominate.
I must say it is very cute seeing a VFL-er having to use this line on BigFooty after many, many, many years of being shot down by VFL-ers when advocating a player leaving an interstate team (let’s say, GWS for example) for a VFL team such as, I don’t know, Richmond?

The world has finally come full circle.

As John McClane once said “welcome to the party pal”

I must say it is very cute seeing a VFL-er having to use this line on BigFooty after many, many, many years of being shot down by VFL-ers when advocating a player leaving an interstate team (let’s say, GWS for example) for a VFL team such as, I don’t know, Richmond?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

His long contract though means they need to pay well.

This year hasn't been his best, probably think he's had his heart elsewhere if he's moving, probably not quite all in. I also think he's not the guy that has the motivation in a losing side, in a good team, he feeds off that and can dominate.

Hasn't been his best year for sure, but with his talent and experience he should be the dominant player in the current Tigers side.

Think you've missed the point here. Neale is an inside clearance mid, low scoreboard damage but a heap of contested ball and distribution, does it extremely well but that's his jam and there's a lot of that type. Better than Bolton for sure but not because of his player type scarcity.

Bolton is an X factor talent, can play mid or forward and break games open, can take hangers, kick miracle goals, evade players, high speed, high damage. He doesn't do it as consistently well as Neale does his craft, but he's a lot more unique as a player type and skillset, even if he needs to build that consistency.

I’ve missed no points, nor have I compared Bolton to Neale. I just said there wasn’t 20 better than him

I dont really mind, players come, players go. We should be well compensated here. It's when we lose or trade them for unders that I get annoyed.

Hasn't been his best year for sure, but with his talent and experience he should be the dominant player in the current Tigers side.
That's his problem, between the ears. Bolton is a freak talent, there's not many who can do everything he does, but he's also lazy, laconical, undisciplined, at times selfish on the field, drifts in and out of games and can often look like he doesn't give a shit when the side isn't playing well and he just cruises around to get 16 possessions and a goal. Stark difference to someone like Dan Rioli who while less talented, gives 110% every game win lose or draw and is one of the best performers on the training track. If you swapped their attitudes and workrates Bolton would win a Brownlow.

But in a winning side, and with the crowds and home support and carrot of another flag and finals opportunities, I think he will absolutely tear it up at Freo and become the star he has shown us before.

Freo won't regret the trade even if they pay overs, Bolton is the guy where if his head is in the right place and he's working hard on the track, he will flourish.

If Brisbane think Neale will get them a flag they will pay up.
Neale was and is a massively superior player to Bolton. I don’t think anyone can disagree with that. Two, possibly three Brownlows later…

So far superior player to Bolton cost 6 and 19 and 55 for Neale and 30.

So a pick very slightly higher than the current first we have available, a first round pick worse than every first we have available and a 25 pick upgrade.

In what world is Bolton costing us more than Neale cost Brisbane?
Top picks in the 2018 draft where an absolute premium that year

He's a the type of player we need. But we shouldn't overpay for him. Richmond are going to want as many first round draft picks as they can get before Tassie enters. I don't think the bargaining power is all one way.

No? But rich from freo fans after making everyone overpay for their own contracted players.

They will take the top 2 first rounders you have as a minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are in a unique situation where we should have plenty of wriggle room in our salary cap with the retirements of Cotch, Jack and Dusty.
We have the money but we need the picks. In saying that I’d prefer we do the below for Rioli to GC (given his age and he’s at his ceiling) and it becomes a win win all round.

Realistically Lynch and Bolton would probably be our two highest earners as I believe Lynch’s deal was heavily back ended.

For Freo, how invaluable does Shai Bolton become for them if Richmond paid 50% of his salary as part of the contract (for say 3 years)?

I understand that any supporter doesn’t want to overpay its future by giving up prized draft picks but this could be an opportunity where they get a free hit on a “cherry on top” type of player who honestly could get them a flag whilst not putting a salary cap squeeze on its current list so they can retain their stars.

Edit: Richmond fans saw first hand how valuable rolling the dice was for Prestia. There was uproar at the time that we overpaid on picks for an injury prone slow mid and all the rest of it but when the whips were cracking in finals his hardness around the contest was a key pillar to our 3 flags.
Ditto for Lynch. We don’t win the 2019 flag without him and he was one of the main reasons we came back in the PF and made the Grand Final.

Last edited:
Richmond are in a unique situation where we should have plenty of wriggle room in our salary cap with the retirements of Cotch, Jack and Dusty.
We have the money but we need the picks. In saying that I’d prefer we do the below for Rioli to GC (given his age and he’s at his ceiling) and it becomes a win win all round.

Realistically Lynch and Bolton would probably be our two highest earners as I believe Lynch’s deal was heavily back ended.

For Freo, how invaluable does Shai Bolton become for them if Richmond paid 50% of his salary as part of the contract (for say 3 years)?

I understand that any supporter doesn’t want to overpay its future by giving up prized draft picks but this could be an opportunity where they get a free hit on a “cherry on top” type of player who honestly could get them a flag whilst not putting a salary cap squeeze on its current list so they can retain their stars.

Edit: Richmond fans saw first hand how valuable rolling the dice was for Prestia. There was uproar at the time that we overpaid on picks for an injury prone slow mid and all the rest of it but when the whips were cracking in finals his hardness around the contest was a key pillar to our 3 flags.
Ditto for Lynch. We don’t win the 2019 flag without him and he was one of the main reasons we came back in the PF and made the Grand Final.
I still remember Round 1 2017 and him barely being able to hit his foot with the ball and thinking we had another decade of pain 🤣🤣🤣

General half forwards? Yes there are. The below have all kicked 20+ goals this season at an average of 1.5 a game like Bolton and that's in a position there's generally only 2-3 of in each side opposed to midfielders where you have 7+ to compare against:

Bayley Fritsch
Izak Rankine
Tyson Stengle
Toby Greene
Sam Sturt
Cody Weightman
Jack Higgins
Kysaiah Pickett
Willie Rioli
Tom Papley
Ben Long
Charlie Cameron
Jamie Elliot
Will Hayward
Oliver Henry
Matthew Owies
Ben Keays
Chad Warner

However, you missed the point that these comparisons are stupid and not actually reflective of what makes an individual player influential. Maybe the Charlie Cameron trade around the similar time as Neale is more accurate?
Jesus

After reading this list I have to say Bolton is worth 4 , 1 st round draft picks

If that is the best you have got god help us

So baker is uncontracted so he worth unders

Bolton has a contract for another 3 years , also unders ?

You freo fans need to make up your minds

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back