Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Neale went for a top ten pick, a end of first round pick and a second round coming back. He was also under contract.

It's kind of the going rate for talent being traded. Two firsts with a second coming back.
2nd coming back won't be 21. Maybe 30, but in saying that pick 30 was Freo's 2nd rounder from last year I think, so not sure we'd be keen to give that back as well.

Interesting times

No chance we're going after Warner and throw away 3 first round picks for Bolton

Think a fair trade is two of them (most likely the first and last pick with some late exchanges) and we trade off our other pick into next year to gear up for the Chad
Bolton seems pretty flaky to me. I think if Sydney win, they might trade Chad.

Two options. (not mutually exclusive)

1) He's covering his ass.
He'd like to go, but doesn't know if the deal can be done, so is giving himself an out if he has to stay.

2) He's genuinely happy to stay, but would prefer to go, so let the club know he was available if they wanted to make a trade.

I'm guessing option 1 is more likely.

Either way, as Richmond, I'd be pushing the line that "We want him to stay", and act like that's the end of the story from their POV, but (more quietly) let it be known that it's up to the WA clubs to offer enough to convince them to change their minds.

Actually, a 3rd idea....
He doesn't want to go, but his missus/family are pushing him, so he wants to make it look like he's tried in order to keep them happy.

Nah you'd be in the top 4 right now if you had him. He is a brilliant player when your team is established, he isn't a player you build a team around though. His 2020 grand final was fantastic, however it gets over shadowed by one of the games greatest big game performers.

My personal take is he will get us 2 first rounders, some Richmond fans will feel ripped off, some Freo fans who don't know how good he really is will think they paid overs.
When both parties are somewhat disappointed with the deal, that usually means the correct price has been struck

Lachie Neale went for a top ten pick, a end of first round pick and a second round coming back. He was also under contract.

It's kind of the going rate for talent being traded. Two firsts with a second coming back.
You got pick 6 in the Neale trade, and he only had a year to run on his deal.

The earliest pick you have at the moment is looking like being pick 9 or 10 at best.

You got pick 6 in the Neale trade, and he only had a year to run on his deal.

The earliest pick you have at the moment is looking like being pick 9 or 10 at best.
Barrack for the Dees this week. Then it will be pick 8. You can get behind Essington for a crack at 7 if you like but I feel like that might be a waste of your time.

Barrack for the Dees this week. Then it will be pick 8. You can get behind Essington for a crack at 7 if you like but I feel like that might be a waste of your time.
Pick 7 will move though. Ashcroft definitely gets a bid before then, Battle is looking like triggering band one compo and Lombard is probably 50/50 to get a bid.

That's where I got pick 9 or 10 from as best case.

Bolton would be perfect for this Fremantle side IMO.

They have an elite midfield core, two quality KPF's and a solid backline. They just really need some talented smalls forward of centre that will help with their scoring issues.
correct.. off all the teams out there Freo is the ideal team where Bolton will take a spot and own it.
Freo will have to pay up to get, but the on field pay back will benefit them immensely.

Pick 7 will move though. Ashcroft definitely gets a bid before then, Battle is looking like triggering band one compo and Lombard is probably 50/50 to get a bid.

That's where I got pick 9 or 10 from as best case.

Won’t matter. Players you have available at that pick will still be the same anyway

Won’t matter. Players you have available at that pick will still be the same anyway
It does matter. We're not going to give up Shai Bolton for the 10th best kid and the 21st best kid in the draft. The deal is going to have to be better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does matter. We're not going to give up Shai Bolton for the 10th best kid and the 21st best kid in the draft. The deal is going to have to be better than that.
I think that’s what the deal will be.

Super even draft year. If you want more tigers will have to pay $$$$ contract.

Tigers get picks before TAS join.

I think that’s what the deal will be.

Super even draft year. If you want more tigers will have to pay $$$$ contract.

Tigers get picks before TAS join.
We will have cap room coming out of our eyeballs next year. Dusty is gone, Graham may leave as a FA, Baker may go, Rioli may go, Bolton's large contract would be lowered as we wouldn't be paying 100% of it, but we probably easily could afford to.

I couldn't see Richmond having any issues with paying some contract for a better pick next year, we simply don't need the cap room right now.

We will have cap room coming out of our eyeballs next year. Dusty is gone, Graham may leave as a FA, Baker may go, Rioli may go, Bolton's large contract would be lowered as we wouldn't be paying 100% of it, but we probably easily could afford to.

I couldn't see Richmond having any issues with paying some contract for a better pick next year, we simply don't need the cap room right now.
Agreed that’s what I would do if I was them as well.

Freo would be desperate to as well as it keeps the dream of Bolton and Warner “alive” in their mind….

But they still have to re-sign Bradshaw and get Warner to commit so I’m less convicted TPP will stretch that far….0

It’s gunna be funny reading this thread after the trade period is over

Freo is gunna fail in the finals if they make it and they are gunna bend over and then we will say no thanks lol

Very silly idea for Richmond to refuse a trade request for an indigenous player with a young family wanting to return home.

Really bad look.

And next season he cruises along not happy that he and his partners wishes were ingnored. Player isn't fully committed and the club is paying him top, top dollar.

Everyone loses.

Or Richmond could fleece Freo for plenty and turbo boost its rebuild.

Very silly idea for Richmond to refuse a trade request for an indigenous player with a young family wanting to return home.

Really bad look.

And next season he cruises along not happy that he and his partners wishes were ingnored. Player isn't fully committed and the club is paying him top, top dollar.

Everyone loses.

Or Richmond could fleece Freo for plenty and turbo boost its rebuild.
Would you give up Harley Reid for unders just because he was homesick?

You won't be getting unders.

Partner and kids a big factor.

Do you want to trade a disgruntled player in 12 months who has had an average season and who's value has fallen?
We won't have to trade him in 12 months either. Contracted until 2028.

Why don't people get that we're not going to give up our best player for **** all when he's contract for the next four years?

His manager has even said he's happy to stay if we can't get a deal worth taking.

We won't be accepting unders. We won't even be accepting fair value. If Freo or WC really want him they're going to have to pay up the same way GC is for Rioli.

Would you give up Harley Reid for unders just because he was homesick?

Absolutely not. You don’t move Harley Reid just because he’s homesick unless someone’s offering a king’s ransom. Reid’s a once-in-a-generation talent, and you only consider trading him if the deal is off the charts. Homesickness? That’s something you can manage. Now, compare that to Bolton—he’s a valuable player, no doubt, but his trade value doesn’t come close to Reid’s. If it’s Reid we’re talking about, you hold firm unless it’s an offer you simply can’t refuse. Let’s not confuse a top-tier prospect with a solid player; Reid’s in a league of his own.

Absolutely not. You don’t move Harley Reid just because he’s homesick unless someone’s offering a king’s ransom. Reid’s a once-in-a-generation talent, and you only consider trading him if the deal is off the charts. Homesickness? That’s something you can manage. Now, compare that to Bolton—he’s a valuable player, no doubt, but his trade value doesn’t come close to Reid’s. If it’s Reid we’re talking about, you hold firm unless it’s an offer you simply can’t refuse. Let’s not confuse a top-tier prospect with a solid player; Reid’s in a league of his own.
I'm not saying has anywhere the ceiling of Reid. Not many players do.

But he is currently the best player on Richmond's list and a star in his own right.

You can dream all you like about getting him cheap, but it's just not going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back