Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bolton improves them more than Warner despite being the lesser player. Bolton is a huge upgrade on Swikowski and Walter. Warner forces one of Serong, Brayshaw and Young out of the guts. Only a slight upgrade on those slots and devalues them in the process.
Warner would force Fyfe out of the guts, as sad as that is.

We’re not? We lost 7 games by a total of 57 points.

Win three of those 7 and we’re sitting top 3.

I mean port are sitting clear in second.
They got 8 points from us by 23 points total.
You don’t think that Bolton and Baker instead of Freddy, Switta, Walters Aish and O’Meara and Fyfe isn’t enough to get us 2-3 more wins?
Aish played at Peel on Saturday.

Yes? I’m sure he played games we lost through the season though…
He was pretty good actually, but Wagner has gone past him and taken his spot in the 1s. That's what happens when you hit the draft. The young guys push out the older ones and you incrementally improve. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Freo to add Bolton and solve all our problems, but when has that ever worked in the past. As a Freo fan you should know this better than anyone.

He was pretty good actually, but Wagner has gone past him and taken his spot in the 1s. That's what happens when you hit the draft. The young guys push out the older ones and you incrementally improve. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Freo to add Bolton and solve all our problems, but when has that ever worked in the past. As a Freo fan you should know this better than anyone.

Wagner is not a young draftee, and if this was two years ago, I’d agree with you.

We’ve got the core of the team in place now. We need to URGENTLY improve our bottom 6.

We don’t do that with 4 Cooper Simpsons.
If we add Bolton, Baker and Warner over the next two seasons we will be INFINITELY better off, and can then go back to the draft

I do wonder if Bolton is indeed the right sort of player for Fremantle at this time.

Seems he'd be a better fit for a team right on the cusp who just needs that last little boost - like GWS last season for example. Where he can truly be that "elite cream on the cake" type player.

Freo are obviously still a bit further back than that at the moment. Might be best to just keep backing the youth in for another couple of years, and make a serious stab for a Bolton type in 2026-7.

From Robbo at the HS.

3. MUCH OF A MUCHNESS

Jake Stringer has kicked 42.25 from 23 games this year and Mick Malthouse believes the Bombers should flick him. Too inconsistent, Malthouse said. Shai Bolton has kicked 34.26 this year from 22 games and if he officially asks for a trade to Fremantle, Richmond will ask for two first-rounders. It’s out of whack for two players who play forward-mid.

Bolton is a better player than Stringer, and certainly has a better highlight reel, but he also lacks consistency and impact. Two first-rounders for him are way overs and Fremantle point blank should baulk at that asking price. Bolton is no Jeremy Cameron. To get him, the Cats sent a first rounder, two future first round picks and a future fourth rounder to the Giants. Coming back, they got Cameron and two future second round selections.

Bolton is 25 and contracted until the end of 2028, so Richmond apparently holds the cards. But do they really? Every man and his dog says the Tigers need to purge and rebuild, so granting Bolton’s wishes would be wise. But not sure the Dockers giving away the farm for Bolton is equally as wise.

A first and second rounder should be the max offer – take it or leave it. If the Tigers baulk, no worries, keep him, and good luck with the rebuild. Bolton is simply not worth two first-rounders.

From Robbo at the HS.

3. MUCH OF A MUCHNESS

Jake Stringer has kicked 42.25 from 23 games this year and Mick Malthouse believes the Bombers should flick him. Too inconsistent, Malthouse said. Shai Bolton has kicked 34.26 this year from 22 games and if he officially asks for a trade to Fremantle, Richmond will ask for two first-rounders. It’s out of whack for two players who play forward-mid.

Bolton is a better player than Stringer, and certainly has a better highlight reel, but he also lacks consistency and impact. Two first-rounders for him are way overs and Fremantle point blank should baulk at that asking price. Bolton is no Jeremy Cameron. To get him, the Cats sent a first rounder, two future first round picks and a future fourth rounder to the Giants. Coming back, they got Cameron and two future second round selections.

Bolton is 25 and contracted until the end of 2028, so Richmond apparently holds the cards. But do they really? Every man and his dog says the Tigers need to purge and rebuild, so granting Bolton’s wishes would be wise. But not sure the Dockers giving away the farm for Bolton is equally as wise.

A first and second rounder should be the max offer – take it or leave it. If the Tigers baulk, no worries, keep him, and good luck with the rebuild. Bolton is simply not worth two first-rounders.
We're listening to a drunk now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder if Bolton is indeed the right sort of player for Fremantle at this time.

Seems he'd be a better fit for a team right on the cusp who just needs that last little boost - like GWS last season for example. Where he can truly be that "elite cream on the cake" type player.

Freo are obviously still a bit further back than that at the moment. Might be best to just keep backing the youth in for another couple of years, and make a serious stab for a Bolton type in 2026-7.
Conversely, if you have the capital now why not strike? Theres no guarantee a player of his calibre will be available and willing to come to WA in the future. Also, Freo with a healthy list and another year in their kids might be closer to the cusp than you think. They lost a lot of close games this year.

Last edited:
I think somewhere around pick 23 alone should do it TBH.
I'd be looking at Freo's latest 1st rounder over your pick 23 if that's how things eventuate. Remember your pick won't stay at 23. It's likely to be at least 27 by the time all of the F/S and NGA bids come through. Baker is worth more than 27.

Hang on a minute. Freo were battling it out for top 2 until they lost Treacy, Darcy and pearce. They get a decent run at it injury wise, add Bolton and baker and get the growth from the existing young list then they are firmly in Premiership contention. Make no mistake, injuries cruelled this team in the backend of the season.

Hearing this is very much 50/50 on occurring

Completely up to Richmond whether to accept freos offer or not

Shai open to going, but happy to stay with extra support for his young family

Hope he stays, as whatever Freo give, we won't find a player like Shai with the picks offered

Hearing this is very much 50/50 on occurring

Completely up to Richmond whether to accept freos offer or not

Shai open to going, but happy to stay with extra support for his young family

Hope he stays, as whatever Freo give, we won't find a player like Shai with the picks offered
Hope he stays as well

Freo have been so underwhelming for so long the fans are scared to have a real crack at a flag. Have some faith you campaigners.
But we can win the youth rankings every week? That's where the real premierships are at

Freo have been so underwhelming for so long the fans are scared to have a real crack at a flag. Have some faith you campaigners.
Unfortunately we have a group of supporters who would be happy if we went to the draft every single year so we can keep saying we have "so much potential" as we are young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back