Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll end up trading 14 for a haul of picks like we did last time we had an Ashcroft. In 2022 we traded pick 15 and Tom Berry for picks 21, 36, 38, 55, 56 + Geelong's FR2 and FR4. We could've kept trading down 21 for more points, but it went to Bulldogs for Dunkley.

And you will trade with us and we’ll be nice and not bid on Ashcroft.

FFS I’ve had it up to here with the Richmond bunch on here.

In no way shape or form will Bolton be playing for Tigers in 2025. He Cleary didn’t give an F in the back half of the season blind Freddy could see he’s checked out, he’s asked for a trade request and Richmond will be licking their lips getting him off the books and getting the rebuild started with pick 9 and 17 or 27. Personally feel like Richmond should be asking 9 and Erasmus who’s young enough but has game under his belt.

We won’t be bending over backwards and though, especially as potentially Pickett could come in.

But just remember the press/footy shows mentioning Boltons demeanour in the last bit of the season. You can’t keep a guy like that against his will. You have a new coach trying to build a club, with now a new CEO and you need a start over…. You don’t want to become a mess like Melbourne.

Freo's midfield A team - Serong,Brayshaw,Young B team - Fyfe, Omeara C team -Johnston, Erasmus, Switta, Brodie.

I rate Bolton as a B for both midfield and B as a forward. I would not rate him as elite and worth over a $M when compared to our A team.

Chad Warner is definitely A team.

Baker is a good footballer when in a good team. We have enough B and C category midfielders. We have elite half backs also.

We need to keep our 1st rounders for the strong midfield crop coming through this year, instead of selling the farm for mid career B graders.

Bolton for 9 & 10 should get it done!
Enjoy playing Finals next season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
9 & 10 isn't happening

Yeah I know that. What is your point?
My point is 1 year is nothing, if you guys chasing a guy 1 year younger you should apply that same thinking.

Baker also was a rookie, so Bolton actually started playing against AFL bodies first.
So take that into account Bolton has more miles on the clock.

I see them both in the game as long as one another going forward as long neither comes down with a serious injury.

Last edited:
My point is 1 year is nothing, if you guys chasing a guy 1 year younger you should apply that same thinking.

Baker also was a rookie, so Bolton actually started playing against AFL bodies first.
So take that into account Bolton has more miles on the clock.

I see them both in the game as long as one another going forward as long neither comes down with a serious injury.
West coast list demographics v Fremantle list demographics is why he was being short with you. So you've written an answer but it has no relevance to the l point of concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In no way shape or form will Bolton be playing for Tigers in 2025. He Cleary didn’t give an F in the back half of the season blind Freddy could see he’s checked out, he’s asked for a trade request and Richmond will be licking their lips getting him off the books and getting the rebuild started with pick 9 and 17 or 27. Personally feel like Richmond should be asking 9 and Erasmus who’s young enough but has game under his belt.

We won’t be bending over backwards and though, especially as potentially Pickett could come in.

But just remember the press/footy shows mentioning Boltons demeanour in the last bit of the season. You can’t keep a guy like that against his will. You have a new coach trying to build a club, with now a new CEO and you need a start over…. You don’t want to become a mess like Melbourne.

9 & 10 are already likely to move to 11 and 12, and 17 could easily move to 20. I don’t think 11 and 20 get it done.

IMO the deal will be (9) 11, (10) 12 and salary, allowing Freo to target Warner next year and be seen by both teams as a win-win.

Pickett is the potential fly in the ointment, but not sure if Melbourne will pony up salary to allow Warner to be targeted.

As far as attitude, I think you’re grasping for excuses to cheapen the deal. I doubt either team will factor it in given how the request has been publicly phrased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that you Peter B?

9 & 10 are already likely to move to 11 and 12, and 17 could easily move to 20. I don’t think 11 and 20 get it done.

IMO the deal will be (9) 11, (10) 12 and salary, allowing Freo to target Warner next year and be seen by both teams as a win-win.

Pickett is the potential fly in the ointment, but not sure if Melbourne will pony up salary to allow Warner to be targeted.

As far as attitude, I think you’re grasping for excuses to cheapen the deal. I doubt either team will factor it in given how the request has been publicly phrased.

No excuses. He doesn’t want to be there anymore. Pretty much every sensible journalist including one eyed Caroline Wilson says he ain’t worth two firsts. At worst for us its 9 & 17, but could be 9,27 and Erasmus who is a solid young inside bull at 189cm.

Richmond wants to clear the air for Yze and the new administration. You will find there is no way the club has intentions to hold him, despite the rhetoric publicly.

No excuses. He doesn’t want to be there anymore. Pretty much every sensible journalist including one eyed Caroline Wilson says he ain’t worth two firsts. At worst for us its 9 & 17, but could be 9,27 and Erasmus who is a solid young inside bull at 189cm.

Richmond wants to clear the air for Yze and the new administration. You will find there is no way the club has intentions to hold him, despite the rhetoric publicly.

He is worth 2 first round picks…

It doesn’t matter what the picks move to, you can’t get the players bid for anyways.
Same players available

He and his manager would understand a trade has to be made given the 4 years to run on his contract. And it's not like he cant stand Richmond, it would just be better for him family-wise to move to WA. They said discussions were ongoing through the year, read between the lines and it sounds like they are all quite clear eyed: Bolton gets to go home and a chance at more success, as long as the Tigers get good (not adequate) compensation.

With 4 years on his contract he's also definitely worth 2 firsts, the value of those is the only topic of negotiation which is where the salary comes in (the value of which I notice you ignored in your response). Not sure if we would or would not be interested in Erasmus.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter what the picks move to, you can’t get the players bid for anyways.
Same players available
Disagree. Firstly you can place bids, and one of those movements could be a Saints compo pick, who is definitely available. Secondly however you arrive at that point you are getting (theoretically say) the 11th best as opposed to the 9th best.

Finally, the clubs would be very aware of where the picks are likely to end up when trading, and would definitely consider it in their thinking and negotiations. Would be utterly incompetent otherwise.

IMO, he is exactly what the Dockers need to take the next step. A line breaking mid who can kick goals. Would work well with the other Freo mids who are more accumulator/hard ball types.

I think that this will be a line in the sand for Richmond and the AFL to be honest. Honestly, when was the last time a player requested a trade that was both;
1 - Seen by public and media as the top rated player in the club
2 - On a Long term contract.

I think the first ask will be all 3 firsts and we pay 20 or 25% of his contract for the rest of it.

Then I believe that we will work our way to a three way trade that could benefit maybe all clubs

Richmond:
Out: Bolton (75% of contract) + 29
IN: 9 + 10 + Erasmus

Fremantle
OUT: 9 + 10 + 27 + Erasmus
IN: Bolton (75% contract) + 14

Brisbane
Out: 14
IN: 29 + 27

I think that Richmond end up slightly ahead of Freo. Brisbane with these picks (and their others) would be able to match a bid on Ashcroft at pick 4 (maybe a risk?). Freo get Bolton at a 25% contract discount, and still get a decent enough First rounder back. Though I guess this is really how much Freo value Erasmus and his place in the side.

It is really interesting for Richmond as this draft seems to be a deep Mids draft but you could argue that Richmond need to lose a slow mid from our list to be able to get rotations to come through. Though we do need that young player who is sub 21 and has played about 30ish games that can be part of that kid midfield rotation through the season.

IMO, he is exactly what the Dockers need to take the next step. A line breaking mid who can kick goals. Would work well with the other Freo mids who are more accumulator/hard ball types.
Freo mids are also no slouches for speed as well. My prediction is that no matter what Richmond gets in trade value, because he isnt the number 1 target by oppo teams, Richmond will look to get shafted in the deal. Without being looked at so much, he will be able to play with freedom.

Freo supporters just need to used t the 25 - 30% conversion rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back