Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo mids are also no slouches for speed as well. My prediction is that no matter what Richmond gets in trade value, because he isnt the number 1 target by oppo teams, Richmond will look to get shafted in the deal. Without being looked at so much, he will be able to play with freedom.

Freo supporters just need to used t the 25 - 30% conversion rate.
Did you watch the 2nd quarter on the weekend? We're already used to it.

I'm probably in the minority but he is one I am not too worried about losing given our list position. Different story if we were in premiership or finals contention and he's a difference maker, but in a rebuild he's the perfect guy to cash in on for good picks.

He's not really the standard driver in a bottom team nor is he the guy who puts in 100% every minute of every game to drive those standards rain, hail or shine. Dan Rioli is a different story as he is the guy who does the above.

Bolton I think needs a good team for him to be fully invested, he's the perfect cherry on top to an existing good list, that can be a match winner and take them to the next level, but he isn't the guy you build around.

Disagree. Firstly you can place bids, and one of those movements could be a Saints compo pick, who is definitely available. Secondly however you arrive at that point you are getting (theoretically say) the 11th best as opposed to the 9th best.

Finally, the clubs would be very aware of where the picks are likely to end up when trading, and would definitely consider it in their thinking and negotiations. Would be utterly incompetent otherwise.

Who cares about placing a bid. They’re going to match regardless.
Saints compo yeah, that makes a diff.

Clubs know the academy and father sons aren’t gonna be available, so they’re still only considering those same players. So apart from the saints compo, the pick moves aren’t really relevant

Who cares about placing a bid. They’re going to match regardless.
Saints compo yeah, that makes a diff.

Clubs know the academy and father sons aren’t gonna be available, so they’re still only considering those same players. So apart from the saints compo, the pick moves aren’t really relevant
Finally, the clubs would be very aware of where the picks are likely to end up when trading, and would definitely consider it in their thinking and negotiations. Would be utterly incompetent otherwise.

They also know what players they can’t pick. They have their draft board & the kids they want. If the picks still land them those kids, they don’t really care if it’s 9/10 or 11/12 do they?

They also know what players they can’t pick. They have their draft board & the kids they want. If the picks still land them those kids, they don’t really care if it’s 9/10 or 11/12 do they?
If you have pick 10 you don't really worry about the players you think will go between 1 and 7. If one of them slips you snap them up sure, but thats not your focus. I imagine you would have a list of the next 3 players that meet your needs and hope you get the one you rate highest. If you move from 10 to 12 you have a much greater chance of missing that player.

After the draft if the player you want at 10 falls to 12 sure, you don't care either way. But if they go at 11 you'd be spitting. It matters, and clubs will consider that.

I don't think we will stand in Shai's way IF Freo come to the table with a reasonable deal.

We will likely still ask for 9 and 10 as part of a deal BUT if Kosi requests to move to Freo then this won't happen. Whilst I think we'd push for 9 and 10 if only Bolton was going, if Kosi is heading there too, then they won't both be on the table.

When you look at it as 2 deals.

Deal 1 - Pick 9 and 17
Deal 2 - Pick 10 and F1 (assume 16)

For both deals the points value is very similar, 2494 vs 2462 so the offers aren't unreasonable IMO, they are in the ballpark, even though the picks probably aren't what Richmond and Melbourne want.

Likely Freo would come to the table with throwing in a player as steak knives that isn't in their best 22. I think they'd be open to this, as their focus will be on their best 22. The players that probably come to mind for Melbourne might be Switkowski as a direct replacement for Neal-Bullen. For the Tigers, maybe 1 of the players drafted last year Cooper Simpson or Ollie Murphy, or maybe even Liam Reidy who looked ok in the ruck in the games he played.

They might even throw in their 2nd to Richmond and 1 of our 3rds goes back and that goes to Melbourne.

If there is a chance to get Bolton and Pickett, Freo will be open to anything that doesn't include a best 22 in 2025 player.

I don't think we will stand in Shai's way IF Freo come to the table with a reasonable deal.

We will likely still ask for 9 and 10 as part of a deal BUT if Kosi requests to move to Freo then this won't happen. Whilst I think we'd push for 9 and 10 if only Bolton was going, if Kosi is heading there too, then they won't both be on the table.

Deal 1 - Pick 9 and 17

For both deals the points value is very similar, 2494 vs 2462 so the offers aren't unreasonable IMO, they are in the ballpark, even though the picks probably aren't what Richmond and Melbourne want.

Likely Freo would come to the table with throwing in a player as steak knives that isn't in their best 22. I think they'd be open to this, as their focus will be on their best 22. The players that probably come to mind for Melbourne might be Switkowski as a direct replacement for Neal-Bullen. For the Tigers, maybe 1 of the players drafted last year Cooper Simpson or Ollie Murphy, or maybe even Liam Reidy who looked ok in the ruck in the games he played.

They might even throw in their 2nd to Richmond and 1 of our 3rds goes back and that goes to Melbourne.

If there is a chance to get Bolton and Pickett, Freo will be open to anything that doesn't include a best 22 in 2025 player.

Yes to all of that…except Simpson.
He’d hurt a bit.

Everything else is good for both of us.

Deal 1 - Pick 9 and 17

Not trying to be funny with this, but I think Karl Worner would be decent steak knives.

2x Firsts + R2 + Worner for Bolton & 2x R3's

Hard trainer, Half back that can rotate to wing. Can be a bridge between the old and new. Will put his body on the line and help with standards. Is behind Chapman, Clark, Wagner here, and probably Aish as well.

Murphy I think would be a good get as well. Think Simpson is off the table. Reidy def would be available I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not trying to be funny with this, but I think Karl Worner would be decent steak knives.

2x Firsts + R2 + Worner for Bolton & 2x R3's

Hard trainer, Half back that can rotate to wing. Can be a bridge between the old and new. Will put his body on the line and help with standards. Is behind Chapman, Clark, Wagner here, and probably Aish as well.

Murphy I think would be a good get as well. Think Simpson is off the table. Reidy def would be available I think.

I don't think I've ever seen Worner player so I wouldn't know if he's good, we could do with an extra wing, though it depends where we plan to play Ross. If we pushed for Simpson though, whilst Freo might not like it, I don't think they'd stand in the way of a trade like that, but yeah I could see a deal like you suggest work.

I reckon we'll make it work for Shai, he has a real and human reason for leaving and generally we have been good as a club when these things happen, and that builds the culture of the club but also builds a reputation of players wanting to play for you knowing that the club will look after you.

Now Dan Rioli, thats a different scenario. I don't see us playing any sort of nice guy in that trade possibility.

He is worth 2 first round picks…

Freo mids are also no slouches for speed as well. My prediction is that no matter what Richmond gets in trade value, because he isnt the number 1 target by oppo teams, Richmond will look to get shafted in the deal. Without being looked at so much, he will be able to play with freedom.

Freo supporters just need to used t the 25 - 30% conversion rate.

You won't get screwed IMO, he is contracted so they have to pay above market to get it done. Its just what is the market value that is the sticking point. I don't see two first rounders as being fair bit wait and see I guess.

Wouldn't that mean you'd just have to trade in another to take the first round picks you need?
Probably,
There are some highly rated academy kids coming through though.

Honestly though, if Bolton & Koz come in, Warner can wait for free agency.

I don't think I've ever seen Worner player so I wouldn't know if he's good, we could do with an extra wing, though it depends where we plan to play Ross. If we pushed for Simpson though, whilst Freo might not like it, I don't think they'd stand in the way of a trade like that, but yeah I could see a deal like you suggest work.

I reckon we'll make it work for Shai, he has a real and human reason for leaving and generally we have been good as a club when these things happen, and that builds the culture of the club but also builds a reputation of players wanting to play for you knowing that the club will look after you.

Now Dan Rioli, thats a different scenario. I don't see us playing any sort of nice guy in that trade possibility.
100% agree here, I think GC will need to pony up plenty to make this a reality.

I think the Shai trade will get done without too much fuss.

I'm probably in the minority but he is one I am not too worried about losing given our list position. Different story if we were in premiership or finals contention and he's a difference maker, but in a rebuild he's the perfect guy to cash in on for good picks.

He's not really the standard driver in a bottom team nor is he the guy who puts in 100% every minute of every game to drive those standards rain, hail or shine. Dan Rioli is a different story as he is the guy who does the above.

Bolton I think needs a good team for him to be fully invested, he's the perfect cherry on top to an existing good list, that can be a match winner and take them to the next level, but he isn't the guy you build around.
Agreed, that's why i want him at Carlton 😭😭😭

What picks will Freo have for Chad Warner next year if all this years firsts are spent?
Bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Both Bolton and Pickett will increase Fremantle.

If was Warner, I would sign with the Swans for two years which takes him into free agency.

In three years, he has a bidding war for his services.

There is no guarantee that Warner will come to the Dockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back