Shamateurism

Remove this Banner Ad

In my humble view, as at the middle of December:

1. get an ex-AFL player a job (with an existing club sponsor) for $50K, and you keep him for the following season, if not longer;

2. offer a player $500 per game, and you'll have him for a few weeks until another club trumps the offer.

If Spriggs is committed to playing for OB in 2009, I daresay it'll be due to an employment situation (as per Matty Robbins, David Loats, Steve McKee, etc.) rather than cash being thrown around. That's entirely permitted within the VAFA rules.

Just my opinion though.

Very good post - it is ambitious to consider that the VAFA is a pure Ammo competition with the quality of players running around, considering that there is so much cash floating around in the 5 other Metro competitions, with some clubs having excellent facilities.

What is stopping a club offering a player a $50,000 for a part time cleaners job?? This is why the Ammo's tag is a joke, there is nothing wrong with playing payers or incentives but seriously..

Also people are naive if they don't think that there is some cash going to players secretly in brown paper bags from rich club associates.

The problem is it is very hard to prove that payments are going on, which is why the smart clubs get away with it and use the loopholes.

Rupo is trying to currently build our ability to help players with jobs and contacts etc. Whilst not substantiated these are the type of rumours i hear
A players bathroom renovated
A loan with no interest
21st birthday present or any birthday
Wedding/ Engagement Present (one players been engaged 9 times).
Overpaid kiosk helpers
schooling guaranteed for kids.

Has anyone heard of some other beauties. These would not come under proper guidlines i wouldn't think, if they do please advise!!!!!!

Rupo is trying to currently build our ability to help players with jobs and contacts etc. Whilst not substantiated these are the type of rumours i hear
A loan with no interest
Overpaid kiosk helpers

Has anyone heard of some other beauties. These would not come under proper guidlines i wouldn't think, if they do please advise!!!!!!

Best I know is the use of a company car (petrol etc etc) for the year - not bad for a full time student.

A loan with no interest
Overpaid kiosk helpers

Yes. In their run of premierships, OX allegedly paid one players rent ongoing and offered a player from another club $5,000 to spend on a credit card to come across and play.

Good luck to them if they're smart enough to get away with it!!!

SMD gave all the players a free drink and claimed it was only a Christmas present! Where will this end?

We now have fruit after training, 35 new yellow sherrins, 4 crates of water bottles, a new coach, training singlets that would fit "the rock", we do offer a ham & cheese roll after games at home, we also offer free board to our players who are still at school. In spite of this we are yet to sign that 6'6" CHF ruckman we crave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Robert Harvey & Shane Crawford got a permit to play in the VAFA under the old system (ie permit & reinstatement rules)?

Yes - as they would be stepping down a couple of levels of ability (as opposed to transferring from a league deemed at the same level or below the VAFA).

There were plenty of examples of players coming straight into the VAFA from AFL/VFL footy under the old system (I'll let Brian list them). As long as those players were willing to play for no financial inducement, their prior financial playing history would be deemed irrelevant.

There were plenty of examples of players coming straight into the VAFA from AFL/VFL footy under the old system (I'll let Brian list them). As long as those players were willing to play for no financial inducement, their prior financial playing history would be deemed irrelevant.
The VAFA have changed the rules so many times it's hard to keep up. In the 80's, players moving from the VFL to the VAFA had to stand out for 1 year. Then by some remarkable turn of events that rule was scrapped. 'Amateur' sport may be played on Mars cause it sure aint played here on Earth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shamateurism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back