Shane Crawford or Ben Cousins?

Who was the Better Player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My dad brought up the question out of the blue when discussing footy. Who do you think was the better player?

Shane Crawford:
305 games
224 goals
22.4 disposals per game
4.5 marks per game
2.8 tackles per game

Best and Fairest winner (1998, 1999, 2002, 2003)
All Australian (1996, 1998, 1999, 2002)
1999 Brownlow Medallist
2008 Premiership player

Ben Cousins:
270 games
217 goals
22.6 disposals per game
3.5 marks per game
1.8 tackles per game

Best and Fairest winner (2001, 2002, 2003, 2005)
All Australian (1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006)
2005 Brownlow Medallist
2006 Premiership player

Crawf did everything, he's a victim of playing his career with a side that struggled on field
Many coaches from his playing days say that he revolutionised the way the game is played, with his ability to keep running

Alan Joyce said crawford was the first player he had seen to train as hard and be as dedicated as crawf

He had elite skills, was super quick, and had great endurance, you could argue as good as cousins

Not saying he was better then cousins, but he certainly wasn't as far behind as many posters on here indicate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I'd say Crawford. Obviously some bias on my side but he played in a poor side for most of his career and carried our midfield through a lot of that time. His stats show just how good he was and more so how consistent he was. Whilst I think Cousins was a great player I think Crawford was marginally better but less decorated. Again I'm sure many will disagree and I acknowledge that I'm probably a bit biased but yea.

Cousins is basically the Eagles best ever player, but I suggest that he probably under performed with regard to his natural talent. In other words, had he been switched on like Crawf, he would have been better by a mile. At the end of the day, as the stats suggest, they were very similar.

Cousins also played in a pretty average side most of his career at the eagles finishing 4th,5th,7th,5th,13th,14th,8th,7th,7th,2nd and 1st in 2006.

Still think 2001 was his best year where he was All Australian and finished 5 votes off the brownlow behind Voss,Mcleod and the winner Akermanis all while West Coast finished 14th on the ladder.

Anyways,both great players but i'm obviously going to say Cousins as i watched more of his career.

The only thing that splits them for me is I watched Cousin's old man play at Geelong and Ben was born in the same hospital as me. I guess a negative against him that he didn't choose Geelong under f/s :mad:

Crawford was a very good footballer who beat Geelong virtually on his own at least a couple of times that I can think of when Hawthorn were terrible and had no right to win.

For players that I've seen, I'd have the pair of them just above Robert Harvey and slightly below the likes of Buckley, Voss and Jnr and well behind Greg Williams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Crawford or Ben Cousins?

Back