Traded Shannon Byrnes (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: No.17 Shannon Byrnes

Byrnes has played 8 games this year with an average of 16.5 disposals which is the 11th highest on average over these games. Heres a challenge average out the disposals of all players across the games they have played and see how Byrnesy shapes up? Keep going Byrnesy there is a heap of us out here that love watching you play.

Byrnes has played 8 games this year with an average of 16.5 disposals which is the 11th highest on average over these games. Heres a challenge average out the disposals of all players across the games they have played and see how Byrnesy shapes up? Keep going Byrnesy there is a heap of us out here that love watching you play.

Two points on your disposals stat - first, the team as a whole averages 17.4 disposals a game this year, and while that includes Bartel, Corey and GAJ it also includes Blake/King, Egan and N Ablett. So 16.5 is not really that impressive for a midfielder/small forward. Probably the only two blokes with a similar role right now are Dog, Kelly and Stokes - Dog gets more of the ball AND kicks more goals, Kelly gets more of the ball and kicks the same number of goals per game, Stokes gets about the same amount of the balls and kicks THREE TIMES as many goals per game. All of them (and Varcoe too - see further down) have him covered.

Second, disposals aren't everything - more important is what you do with them, and that is one of the areas where young Byrnesy falls down.

Yes, 16 goals and 35 behinds is correct for his career, and includes 4.8 from 8 games this year. And that doesn't include the out of bounds.

I think Byrnes should go, and here's why:

(1) For a bloke who is apparently quick, he doesn't use it. Rarely does he outrun a pursuer, and even more rarely does he run someone down from behind. Why? Woja does it. Varcoe does it. Yet Byrnes is supposed to be quicker than both of them. The answer I think is that he spends most of his time at 3/4 pace, which is a waste.

(2) He is too short. Height-wise he is the smallest bloke on our list, and it shows when the ball is in the air. Doesn't get near it. When you are that short everything else needs to be great (see Kerr, Wirrpanda, Harvey), and with him its not.

(3) He is too light, and has the shocking habit of jumping in the air when about to be tackled, which costs him all his leverage and as a result he gets body slammed every time. He needs to watch continuous video tape of G Ablett in the tackle.

(4) He doesn't kick enough goals, which is a bit of a problem when you play largely as a small forward. 41 games for 16.35 is dismal. Varcoe gets a lot of heat for not being as dangerous offensively as he is defensively, and his haul is 17 games for 15.7. Stokes has 25.10 from 17 games. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

(5) Field disposal - his left foot is OK, sometimes good, but he doesn't have a right side and his handballing is awful, especially under pressure. Three or four times against Port his handballs under pressure did not hit their targets, and that is not acceptable at this level. He tends to panic when about to be tackled and the ball more often than not goes straight up in the air or straight to ground.

On the positive side he works hard, is good on the lead and does get a bit of the ball. But that is not enough. In our forward line S Johnson, Stokes, Varcoe and Kelly all have him comfortably covered, and I suspect it won't be long before the likes of Gamble, Djerrkura, Hogan, Davenport and Owen do too.

Overall he is just not up to the level in terms of size, skills and presence. Sorry, but he's just not.

Reg Hickey - a good summation of a disappointing player. Agree that he has not used his speed to his advantage. He's in the last page of my book of approval of Geelong players but I doubt that they will persist with him now. I was always waiting for the game which would redeem him but I think he's missed the boat now. Always had the feeling that he needed to prove himself as a little man and so went one step too far, tried the spectacular option rather than the safe one, and shot to ribbons the direct kick from within the 50m. He hasn't been a disaster by any means but he has not realised the potential so many saw in him.

Two points on your disposals stat - first, the team as a whole averages 17.4 disposals a game this year, and while that includes Bartel, Corey and GAJ it also includes Blake/King, Egan and N Ablett. So 16.5 is not really that impressive for a midfielder/small forward. Probably the only two blokes with a similar role right now are Dog, Kelly and Stokes - Dog gets more of the ball AND kicks more goals, Kelly gets more of the ball and kicks the same number of goals per game, Stokes gets about the same amount of the balls and kicks THREE TIMES as many goals per game. All of them (and Varcoe too - see further down) have him covered.

Second, disposals aren't everything - more important is what you do with them, and that is one of the areas where young Byrnesy falls down.

Yes, 16 goals and 35 behinds is correct for his career, and includes 4.8 from 8 games this year. And that doesn't include the out of bounds.

I think Byrnes should go, and here's why:

(1) For a bloke who is apparently quick, he doesn't use it. Rarely does he outrun a pursuer, and even more rarely does he run someone down from behind. Why? Woja does it. Varcoe does it. Yet Byrnes is supposed to be quicker than both of them. The answer I think is that he spends most of his time at 3/4 pace, which is a waste.

(2) He is too short. Height-wise he is the smallest bloke on our list, and it shows when the ball is in the air. Doesn't get near it. When you are that short everything else needs to be great (see Kerr, Wirrpanda, Harvey), and with him its not.

(3) He is too light, and has the shocking habit of jumping in the air when about to be tackled, which costs him all his leverage and as a result he gets body slammed every time. He needs to watch continuous video tape of G Ablett in the tackle.

(4) He doesn't kick enough goals, which is a bit of a problem when you play largely as a small forward. 41 games for 16.35 is dismal. Varcoe gets a lot of heat for not being as dangerous offensively as he is defensively, and his haul is 17 games for 15.7. Stokes has 25.10 from 17 games. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

(5) Field disposal - his left foot is OK, sometimes good, but he doesn't have a right side and his handballing is awful, especially under pressure. Three or four times against Port his handballs under pressure did not hit their targets, and that is not acceptable at this level. He tends to panic when about to be tackled and the ball more often than not goes straight up in the air or straight to ground.

On the positive side he works hard, is good on the lead and does get a bit of the ball. But that is not enough. In our forward line S Johnson, Stokes, Varcoe and Kelly all have him comfortably covered, and I suspect it won't be long before the likes of Gamble, Djerrkura, Hogan, Davenport and Owen do too.

Overall he is just not up to the level in terms of size, skills and presence. Sorry, but he's just not.

Great summary. You don't have to apologise. He is clearly not up to it.

(1) For a bloke who is apparently quick, he doesn't use it. Rarely does he outrun a pursuer, and even more rarely does he run someone down from behind. Why? Woja does it. Varcoe does it. Yet Byrnes is supposed to be quicker than both of them.

Disagree with this bit.
Against Port, in I think the 3rd qtr (or maybe 4th) he absolutely bolted, perfect example of why being able to run fast is important.

FTW, if this stat is true, as TTC says, it is very damning for someone who predominatly plays as a forward.
He shouldn't be playing forward. We could use him better running of a wing. Exept we allready have a strong midfield so he ends up going forward in the ones. This is half the problem.

Disagree with this bit.
Against Port, in I think the 3rd quater (or maybe 4th) he absolutely bolted, perfect example of why being able to run fast is important.
Yes it was in the 4th and the player was Brenden Lade twice!!:eek::eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with this bit.
Against Port, in I think the 3rd qtr (or maybe 4th) he absolutely bolted, perfect example of why being able to run fast is important.

That's why I said "rarely" rather than "never". That was one of the very, very few times I've seen him do it, and I have seen pretty much all of his 41 games.

Shannon had a good gaaaaaaame tonight.
Ner ner ner ner ner!
:D

C'mon compared to how he usually plays he had a good game.
Compared to say Enright or Ottens he didn't, but guys, it's Shannon Byrnes! For him that was a good game IMO.

Credit where it's due, boys. He was really effective last night. Zippy without trying to do too much and coming unstuck. A very good game.:thumbsu:

Credit where it's due, boys. He was really effective last night. Zippy without trying to do too much and coming unstuck. A very good game.:thumbsu:

Its good to see your fair comments Byrnesy had a good night in my home town of Bris Vegas. The cats were impressive and it was only through the efforts of a magnificent player in Jonathan Brown that the Lions hung in there. I was there it was a great night and the crowd loved it.

Even I have to admit that last night was one of his better efforts. Two goals, got a bit of the ball, won some hard ones and generally used it OK. I reckon I've seen just about all of his 42 games and that would have been easily in his top 10.

That said, I still believe he is a very average footballer with no future in the AFL. He still makes a lot of poor errors and seriously sh!ts himself when under pressure. Those of you who have the tape, have a look at a piece of play with a bit over 6 minutes to go in the third (from memory). Shannon gets himself into trouble on the flank but has Kelly in support, but instead of feeding a flat handpass to him he stacks his dacks and flips it up in the air, Kelly has to move towards him to get it, and by the time it comes down is surrounded by three Lions and it is turned over. That to me is symptomatic of what is wrong with S Byrnes as an AFL footballer.

But anyway, credit where credit is due, he did OK last night.

Byrnesy played well on Saturday. He got a fair bit of the ball, he was exciting, and his ball use was efficient. He also managed to nail 2 goals from set shots.

Maybe now people might get off his back?

Keep wishing!

Like I said, people moan about how he misses set shots, and when he gets them, "oh, he should be getting them anyway so we shouldn't be giving him any credit". :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Keep wishing!

Like I said, people moan about how he misses set shots, and when he gets them, "oh, he should be getting them anyway so we shouldn't be giving him any credit". :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

well, he should be getting them, i dont understand.

because he slots a few in one game after failing to do so numerous times he is now a star?

he played well, but is still a fringe player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back