Traded Shaun Higgins (#919)

Remove this Banner Ad

#7: Shaun Higgins (AKA Missy)

DSC00642_1.JPG

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name] (With Ball in hand)

DOB: 4th March, 1988

Drafted: Pick 11, 2005 AFL Draft (recruited from Geelong Falcons U18)

Height: 184cm Weight: 90kg

2011 Review:

Games: 18
Goals: 12
Subsituted: r9 (off), r24 (on)
Best and Fairest: Equal 10th (42 votes)
Dreamteam: 1518 points; $318,900 (-$22,100)
Supercoach: 1486 points; $341,900 (-$37,300)

Contract status: End of 2014

Stats history: Shaun Higgins (AFL Tables)

After a 2010 season ruined by thyroid problems, Shaun Higgins was expected by many to come of age in 2011. He began the season strongly on the half forward line, starring in the demolitions of Brisbane (23 touches, 3 goals) and the Gold Coast (32 touches, 1.4).

Missing rounds 6 to 8 took the wind out of his sails, and this coincided with a decline in the fortunes of the team. He was moved to the half back line mid season and for the most part, stayed there.

One of the more maligned players at the Bulldogs, Higgins is considered by critics to have underachieved. His best season was 2009 (20 games, 32 goals).

A selection of past threads about Shaun:

Time to trade Higgins (2011)

Shaun Higgins (2011)

Is Higgins the most overrated player to play for us? (2010)

Re: Shaun Higgins 'Time To Deliver'

Might be a bit of de ja vu, but I'm fairly certain I've seen pretty much the same article come out at this time for the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Not sure where I prefer him to be playing... Down back seemed to work for periods last season.

Just wish this bloke could string a couple of decent seasons together. He'll probably never be the elite mid/hff most people were hoping him to be.

Might be a bit of de ja vu, but
Just wish this bloke could string a couple of decent seasons together. He'll probably never be the elite mid/hff most people were hoping him to be.

sadly, i agree.

but keep in mind the same type of things were said about the blues' andrew walker. 'over-rateded', 'injury riddled', 'trade-bait'. last year he got his body right, some confidence up, played every game, topped their goal kickers, top half dozen in B&F and stood on people's heads regularly.

i'm pretty sure we'd take an equivalent season from higgins. fingers crossed.

Higgins was mentioned on Footy Classified last night - Matthew Lloyd said McCartney was right to start him as the sub and that "Higgins has to work harder".

Higgins was mentioned on Footy Classified last night - Matthew Lloyd said McCartney was right to start him as the sub and that "Higgins has to work harder".

Saw that, and it made me glad people in the media aren't still seeing the Higgins from a few years ago.
I was glad Higgins was sub, and even happier with his performance when he came on. He was very good I thought.

He was very effective as the sub imo had 10touches in that quarter and is a smart forward.. would not mind seeing that most weeks

i'm pretty sure we'd take an equivalent season from higgins. fingers crossed.

Good call. One thing is the talent is definitely there in Higgins, as it was always there in Walker.

Can they find a way of extracting it and using it consistently...? Some guys never do. I hope Higgo does.

Re: Missy's tank

Is anyone concerned with Missy's ability to run out a game? He seems to be half paced by the last quarters. Wonder if he's a bit crook or something still
Well getting smashed and then disoriented doesn't help anyone. But then again Doggies supporters think he's "soft". Doesn't matter if he gets crunched and gets up, he didn't get up fast enough!

Higgins had a great game today was a good leading forward, as for running out the game, didn't really notice him. I don't know if that's good or bad. I could have noticed if he did something bad!

DEX

I don't know how many times he turned the ball over for us in the forward line, and North took it forward for scoring opportunities. Still needs to do more imo. Just doesn't provide enough forward defensive pressure, one thing he has to improve on, or he will be traded at season's end.

If you watched Ayce Cordy and Dickson today, when the ball was at ground level, they tackled and harrassed to try to keep the ball in there. Higgins has to convert goals also, just misses way too many that he should kick.

Well getting smashed and then disoriented doesn't help anyone. But then again Doggies supporters think he's "soft". Doesn't matter if he gets crunched and gets up, he didn't get up fast enough!

Higgins had a great game today was a good leading forward, as for running out the game, didn't really notice him. I don't know if that's good or bad. I could have noticed if he did something bad!

DEX

Is the Dex sign ofF thing your trademark? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its called living in reality. He is not going to be a Judd or a Cooney which early
on in his first year seemed possible. He is going to be a smart ( and will get smarter year by year) forward in the gia/johnno mould who is a reliable kick
for goal and will make a valuable contribution. it is up to the coaches to find
the right role for him and make the most of his talents.

1. He is slow, like Gia.
2. He is called 'soft 'by many of our supporters .
3. It took gia 10 years to throw off the 'soft' label....hopefully it doesn't take
missy quite as long.
4.He is a great kick for goal like Gia. But Gia won't be around for ever...
although he is getting smarter year by year.

A great coach once said "well if you aint that fast to begin with you aint got
much to loose!" i reckon this applies to both gia and higgins . We are slowly,
frustratingly, building a new, damaging forward line. but there will always be
room down there for a gia or a higgins .

cheers

Its called living in reality. He is not going to be a Judd or a Cooney which early
on in his first year seemed possible. He is going to be a smart ( and will get smarter year by year) forward in the gia/johnno mould who is a reliable kick
for goal and will make a valuable contribution. it is up to the coaches to find
the right role for him and make the most of his talents.

1. He is slow, like Gia.
2. He is called 'soft 'by many of our supporters .
3. It took gia 10 years to throw off the 'soft' label....hopefully it doesn't take
missy quite as long.
4.He is a great kick for goal like Gia. But Gia won't be around for ever...
although he is getting smarter year by year.

A great coach once said "well if you aint that fast to begin with you aint got
much to loose!" i reckon this applies to both gia and higgins . We are slowly,
frustratingly, building a new, damaging forward line. but there will always be
room down there for a gia or a higgins .

cheers

Did you watch the same game today pal? How many times did he stuff up plays, drop chest marks??

Tory Dickson went past him today and he's played his 3rd game for us. Wake up mate. Jesus :(

Did you watch the same game today pal? How many times did he stuff up plays, drop chest marks??

Tory Dickson went past him today and he's played his 3rd game for us. Wake up mate. Jesus :(

Everyone makes mistakes.... I watched the game, i also watched last week... I saw Bob Murphy give two goals to the pies in the last quarter attempting a 50-60 m pass which he would later on afl 360 admit it was a tired kick and he should have gone the shorter option, yet does it again tonight resulting in a kangas goal....

By your logic, Vespa has passed murph tonight.

How many mistakes did Higgins make today that resulted directly in Roos shots on goal??? I counted at least 4.

Not by a long shot. Higgins is still easily the better player.

Higgins does a lot more good than bad for the team. He's been kicking goals, setting them up, hitting contests hard.

or he will be traded at season's end.

You must be Brendan or Jason Macartney, or an assistant coach to be so certain of that, or is that just a Big Footy opinion, much like mine and everyone else's on here, which carries no weight on club decisions??

When I watch the reply, I reckon I'll be able to find more than 4. Look overall, here is a guy who is one of the most overrated players in the league. He kicked one goal in the first quarter, got an easy over the top handball after good work from Gia that got him a goal in the 2nd quarter, then missed goals in the third, goals he should be kicking for a forward.

His defensive pressure is shit, and like Grant, shirks far too many contests.

In this way i think the comparisons to Gia are very accurate. He is getting
harder at the contest...week by week. we are not all born a picken or a ward
or a cross who does not know the meaning of personal safety.

A team needs all types. I was a higgins critic but admit he is slowly convincing me he will make it as a very damaging forward.
Make of that what you will tony dean, I'm not here to pick a fight i just think if ayce and dickson and maybe jones
and grant come on like we hope there will still be room for a strait shooter
to kick 20/30 goals a year and keep at least one decent opposition defender
occupied.

You have to admit higgins has some class and if you put a spud on
him he will kick 4 goals a week in week out.

cheers x

I'm still trying to work out if tonydean is just a master troll, or really is just a bitter self righteous "supporter".

Regardless, Higgins played another solid game and is slowly starting to do the hard things that people have been asking of him over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

As for his tank, he seemed to run the game out at the same pace as everyone else. Buggered haha

I'm still trying to work out if tonydean is just a master troll, or really is just a bitter self righteous "supporter".

Regardless, Higgins played another solid game and is slowly starting to do the hard things that people have been asking of him over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

As for his tank, he seemed to run the game out at the same pace as everyone else. Buggered haha

I guess one difference between those that support Higgins and those that criticise him is our perception of a 'solid game'.

I'm not sure I'd call 10 posessions and three free kicks against a solid game. 2 goals 2 is a contribution but against a side that's struggling to make the eight, I don't get too excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back