Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
Is he really as good a coach as West Adelaide's improvement suggests he is? Has he turned them around with his coaching ability or is it just that they were ready to come good regardless?

If he is then the Crows should possibly get him as an assistant before another club does.

It's funny I never saw Shaun Rehn as an on-field leader in his time with Adelaide. He doesn't strike me as the most intelligent or inspiring bloke either. So I wouldn't have rated him coaching material, but he's certainly got the runs on the board so far.

Originally posted by DaveW
It's funny I never saw Shaun Rehn as an on-field leader in his time with Adelaide. He doesn't strike me as the most intelligent or inspiring bloke either. So I wouldn't have rated him coaching material, but he's certainly got the runs on the board so far.
Gee DaveW, I would have tought he was definetly one of the leaders. I wouldn't call him most inspirational but he certainly knows how to inspire those around him. Who could forget that moment when he took of his knee brace in that final, virtually lifting the whole team. I think he is smart enough to be a good coach but his most important assett is the respect that he is shown. He is footy smart and there is not a player there that doesn't show a GREAT dela respect for the big puss.

I think he is a good coach and has had a lot to do in turning Westies around. He has had a positive impact around the place and the players go out there to play for him, which shows on the ground.

Anyone who comes back from 3 knee reconstructions and continues to play at a high level with a great deal of success is inspirational in my book.;)

You have to give the coach atleast some of the credit although I do think West were ready to take the step that they have taken, they still needed someone to direct them to it. Rehn's test as a coach will come later in the season around finals time, although I think he has to thank Port for Cassisi and Koulouriotis, they're both playing very good footy at the moment ;)

Originally posted by Zombie
Rehn's test as a coach will come later in the season around finals time, although I think he has to thank Port for Cassisi and Koulouriotis, they're both playing very good footy at the moment ;)
Don't you think Port should be thanking Rehn for hetting Cassisi & Koula to play decent football! ;) He is treating Port players much better than the Crows, with Welsh, Schuback & Jericho stuck in the reserves...

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Don't you think Port should be thanking Rehn for hetting Cassisi & Koula to play decent football! ;) He is treating Port players much better than the Crows, with Welsh, Schuback & Jericho stuck in the reserves...
And Rutten to join them once he gets back from injury.:(

It is West Adelaide club policy that if you are not a regular member of the team and you come back from injury you prove yourself in the B's.

Welsh - hasn't played for 2 months.
Schuback - was injured, starting to play well in the B's.
Jericho - only a young fella, we have a competent A grade forward line atm.
Rutten - should come straight back, maybe get a game in the B's depending on how his hand is.

Rehn has got the right mix in the team and as such we are winning.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin

And I see Welshy's been named in the Crows side this week... Schuby's been in brilliant form in the reserves, Jezza's still a young bloke making his way through the world and doing rather well at it.

I'm delighted to see both Roo and Koula running into great form, however I think that Rehnny deserves to be congratulated on getting West to function as a team and developing them into a premiership contender after one preseason, rather than the efforts of a couple of individual players.

Shaun Rehn is a champion as Stiffy said anyone who comes back from three knee reconstructions is an outright champion:D

I was sooooooooooooooo disapointed when he left Adelaide, but was happy about what he said after he retired last year about the AFC (read Stiffy's quote:D )

Thats why I have a picture of him in my lounge room:D :D

He gave soooooo much to AFC and he played so well and was a leader on the feild in soooooo many ways he inspired the playing group gave them that extra lift when it was needed:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see how Westies go next year before making an assesment of Rehn as a coach. I was at Unley last weekend, and although West were outplayed, they were also unlucky in that everything (bounce of the ball and umpiring, and Sturt being red hot) was against them. West did outscore Sturt after half time (but too late by then.

:D

Anyway he's from Arno Bay and people from that neck of the woods don't talk much.

Speaking of West - where did that Ablett guy come from?

Two losses in a row - wonder whether Rehnny can get them back ontrack! - good test of a coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Rehn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back