Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
Sheedy urges fans to keep the faith

Monday, 2 May 2005
Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy has told Bomber fans to keep the faith as the club continues to shape and develop its young playing list. Essendon was soundly beaten by Brisbane on Saturday night but Sheedy has urged to supporters not to lose sight of the positives.

"We didn’t play well on Saturday night but fans should look at where a few of our players have got to in terms of there development," Sheedy said. "Jason Laycock has made terrific improvement in the ruck, Kepler Bradley has been very good at centre half back despite missing the last couple and the tap dancer Andrew Lovett gives us a real excitement."

"So to this stage of the season I would say we have found three players – we need to find another four players and then we have seven that we can work with. Those players need to come from the likes of Angus Monfries, Jobe Watson, Jason Winderlich, Tristan Cartledge and so on.

"And if Courtney Johns can continue to improve fitness-wise he might just give us something as well. He might play full forward with Matthew Lloyd at centre half forward. There are others as well.

"I think most fans understand where we are at – we need to re-build our list and plan for the next era. I am not going to make any apologies for that and nor should we. That is the responsibility we have to our fans."

The last qutoe from him saysa it all. Weren't we supposed to be playing finals and not making up the numbers. Wasn't he supposed to have re-built the list without anyone knowing?

He can't make the team play as a team anymore, he can;'t get them motivated week in week out. He is conservative beyond belief.

Time to go Mr. sheedy (although we know he won;t as the board loves him to death :( )

Pevers-Legend said:
Time to go Mr. sheedy (although we know he won;t as the board loves him to death :( )

Not sure about that. He has had the backing of presidents. There always seems to be elements of the board against. From what you read and hear. Not sure how this makes him a hypocrite. Non walk up starters not mentioned in his words here are on the way out is about all you would take from it.

notenoughteams said:
Not sure about that. He has had the backing of presidents. There always seems to be elements of the board against. From what you read and hear. Not sure how this makes him a hypocrite. Non walk up starters not mentioned in his words here are on the way out is about all you would take from it.

My problem is that as soon as it gets even remotley tough - he brings out the rebuilding word. well considering our last 3 seasons - surely they were the rebuilding - or were we just intentioanlly treading water? He is the king of excuses. Look no further than your own back yeard for the problems.

as I stated- he is just using an easy out to deflect from his poor coaching, and it is in total contrast to his earlier statements about writing us off at your own peril. sounds like he is a defeated man. Matthews biatch!!

gandaal said:
Drop your best player when you still have 10 or so hacks running around in an Essendon jumper each week?

You'll be getting Hill and Allan back this week so that'll help out.

Allan will play this week, Hille still needs a couple of weeks.

On the point re: Lloyd..I'll accept he's struggling a fair bit and is lacking confidence as a result of that.

Pevers-Legend said:
My problem is that as soon as it gets even remotley tough - he brings out the rebuilding word. well considering our last 3 seasons - surely they were the rebuilding - or were we just intentioanlly treading water? He is the king of excuses. Look no further than your own back yeard for the problems.

as I stated- he is just using an easy out to deflect from his poor coaching, and it is in total contrast to his earlier statements about writing us off at your own peril. sounds like he is a defeated man. Matthews biatch!!

No where you are coming from. But do you think he wants the club languishing. His crime would be misjudging where his list is at over the last period. Which is poor coaching if you like. But when the club is languishing like it is now, his job is to provide stability.
I would say his frame of mind would be about where it was post the days when Tim Watson revealed that the Kangaroos thought Essendon were soft. See what happens in the next period.

Lloyd was fantastic two weeks ago against Geelong.
Had 8 or so shots at goal.

Has had absolutely no help from team-mates and the delivery has been disgusting. Thought he lifted marginally in the second half against Brisbane.

pazza said:
Allan will play this week, Hille still needs a couple of weeks.

On the point re: Lloyd..I'll accept he's struggling a fair bit and is lacking confidence as a result of that.
Your wrong. I saw Hille running around for the Bendigo bombers and he looked more than ready to get back into the side. I was surprised he wasn't already playing seniors actually. You've got to play your top players if their even semi-fit, especially if your a bottom four side.

gandaal said:
Your wrong. I saw Hille running around for the Bendigo bombers and he looked more than ready to get back into the side. I was surprised he wasn't already playing seniors actually. You've got to play your top players if their even semi-fit, especially if your a bottom four side.

It was Dave's first game back for the year, after a major problem initially with an ankle injury and then a strained calf muscle. Allan's already had 2 games back so would be a lot closer.

Even though Henneman has been servicable in getting a lot of tap-outs this year (to his credit), having the experienced ruckwork of Allan will help us at least for the next 4 weeks.

gandaal said:
yep, a half fit hille > 5 hennemans.

and a half fit hille isn't even that good.
:(

notenoughteams said:
No where you are coming from. But do you think he wants the club languishing. His crime would be misjudging where his list is at over the last period. Which is poor coaching if you like. But when the club is languishing like it is now, his job is to provide stability.
I would say his frame of mind would be about where it was post the days when Tim Watson revealed that the Kangaroos thought Essendon were soft. See what happens in the next period.

But was it he who lifted them out of the doldrums or was it Harvey, Terry Daniher and Robert Shaw who did it?

Can you honestly tell me we have great team work? We have not had good team work for years - Sheedy has relied on our top tier of players and now that some have moved on, he is starting to get exposed quite badly.

Explain to me why he presists wwith players who have failed time and time again? Why has our forward line not worked for 2-3 years? Take out Lloyd and we are a rabble, but even with him there we are far too predictable.

What are solomons and Boltons positions in the team? how has McVeigh advanced? Why was Ramma playing in the back pocket when everyone could see he was sturggling out of position? Why do he insist on Rucking Henneman when he is not a ruckman and ruckmen are now available - Allan, Hille and Cartledge played in the magoos. Why does he always give so little game time to the younger players and never gives em a shot in the heat of battle i.e. the centre?

Why does he always bench a young player after 2-3 weeks and then drop them the next week? Why don;t we play the kids we recruit to play midfield, to actually play there?

Why do we always play one good and then one bad match? Can;t he keep the team motivated?

Why does he seem to always bring in players and play them in the wrong spots i.e. Reynolds plays well on a HBF and he plays him on a HFF? why?

have said he should have gone at the end of 97. and still maintain that he should go. he has lost his hardness, that is what made him a good coach but he seems to look old, and tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gandaal said:

As much of a Hille lover that i am, do you really think he is going to much of a difference? When he did play good footy last year, it wasnt that great, he played (i think) every game last year and out of 22 rounds, he played maybe 3-5 rounds of good footy, the rest were not up to scratch.
Sheeds dont have much to work with and he is playing the wrong players sometimes, teddy should have come off whe he kept mucking up, but was left on, why? i dont get it, we have some really good youngish players and they are left to play for bendigo, maybe we should play the bendigo list against sydney next week.

gandaal said:
Your wrong. I saw Hille running around for the Bendigo bombers and he looked more than ready to get back into the side.

You think so? I thought he looked slow, unfit, and like he didn't really want to be playing football.

Incidentally, isn't it funny hearing people yell at Sheedy for being conservative?

Maybe Sheeds would like a job as Mark Williams' assistant. Just kidding. I have a lot of respect for Sheedy. He is the elder statesman of footy. He has seen it all and been through it all. I think that he will walk before he is pushed and I am sure that is the way that Essendon would arrange for it to happen. He has survived so many of these periods in his career that he may just keep on going.

Pevers-Legend said:
Why does he always give so little game time to the younger players and never gives em a shot in the heat of battle i.e. the centre?
Why does he always bench a young player after 2-3 weeks and then drop them the next week? Why don;t we play the kids we recruit to play midfield, to actually play there?
This is one arguement I don't agree with.
He has consistently blooded young players, if they are up to it. Rama, McPhee, Cupido, Hille, Welsh, Laycock, the Johnsons, Solomon, Bradley, Rioli. All came into the side as young players and stayed there, form permitting.
If they aren't ready, he won't play them. Take no issue with that. Dyson, Stanton, Winderlich, Monfries...these guys have been given a taste, but the fact is they haven't been up to playing full games in the middle of the ground. The ones who have had the body and the form to handle the workload of AFL football have been played. If they aren't ready he doesn't push them.

Pevers-Legend said:
Why does he seem to always bring in players and play them in the wrong spots i.e. Reynolds plays well on a HBF and he plays him on a HFF? why?
Reynolds was drafted as a wingman/HF. It has only been in the past three weeks he has played in the backline and that was only because Bendigo have a plethora of half forwards.
He played there on Sat nite and Power carved him.

hille is sexy said:
As much of a Hille lover that i am, do you really think he is going to much of a difference? When he did play good footy last year, it wasnt that great, he played (i think) every game last year and out of 22 rounds, he played maybe 3-5 rounds of good footy, the rest were not up to scratch.
Sheeds dont have much to work with and he is playing the wrong players sometimes, teddy should have come off whe he kept mucking up, but was left on, why? i dont get it, we have some really good youngish players and they are left to play for bendigo, maybe we should play the bendigo list against sydney next week.
With Allan coming back Hille won't have to play full time ruck so it's likely he'll be in the forward line a lot, where he seems to do his best work. The benefits of that are obvious. Having a guy like Hill providing another forward target will take the pressure off Lloyd, freeing him up and giving him more opportunities to damage the opposition. It's not what Hille will do exactly but the flow on effect his presence will have on others.

We're currently having the same problem in our backline with Luke Livingston. He's not a greatest full back in the league by a long way but having him there allows us to put Thornton up the ground and Teague free to play his natural game.

nonchalance said:
You think so? I thought he looked slow, unfit, and like he didn't really want to be playing football.
If he's been recovering from an injured ankle I think on the evidence of that last snap goal his kicked, where he twisted around on the spot and put it through on an angle 40 meters out, he's now fully fit.

Shove him in the forward line or play him off the bench. He couldn't do much worse than some of the others currently in the side surely?

Pevers-Legend said:
But was it he who lifted them out of the doldrums or was it Harvey, Terry Daniher and Robert Shaw who did it?

Can you honestly tell me we have great team work? We have not had good team work for years - Sheedy has relied on our top tier of players and now that some have moved on, he is starting to get exposed quite badly.

Explain to me why he presists wwith players who have failed time and time again? Why has our forward line not worked for 2-3 years? Take out Lloyd and we are a rabble, but even with him there we are far too predictable.

What are solomons and Boltons positions in the team? how has McVeigh advanced? Why was Ramma playing in the back pocket when everyone could see he was sturggling out of position? Why do he insist on Rucking Henneman when he is not a ruckman and ruckmen are now available - Allan, Hille and Cartledge played in the magoos. Why does he always give so little game time to the younger players and never gives em a shot in the heat of battle i.e. the centre?

Why do we always play one good and then one bad match? Can;t he keep the team motivated?

have said he should have gone at the end of 97. and still maintain that he should go. he has lost his hardness, that is what made him a good coach but he seems to look old, and tired.

Shaw and Harvey are still there. If they get credit for lifting us out of the doldrums, they are in the mix if we are back in them.

Team work or lack thereof is where you hit the spot. To see Brisbane get there's back on Saturday night was something else again.

You exercise a doubt as to whether Sheedy has the capabilty to develop a group that teams together again. Perhaps I do to. But with two years of his contract left am willing to see what happens.
For the moment, in naming Lovett and Bradley as players to build a future team around, am happy with where he is at. Probably Laycock to. If Justin Madden can play 300, that bloke can play 200 at least. You would have to think, anyway.

Longy413 said:
This is one arguement I don't agree with.
He has consistently blooded young players, if they are up to it. Rama, McPhee, Cupido, Hille, Welsh, Laycock, the Johnsons, Solomon, Bradley, Rioli. All came into the side as young players and stayed there, form permitting.
If they aren't ready, he won't play them. Take no issue with that. Dyson, Stanton, Winderlich, Monfries...these guys have been given a taste, but the fact is they haven't been up to playing full games in the middle of the ground. The ones who have had the body and the form to handle the workload of AFL football have been played. If they aren't ready he doesn't push them.

Reynolds was drafted as a wingman/HF. It has only been in the past three weeks he has played in the backline and that was only because Bendigo have a plethora of half forwards.
He played there on Sat nite and Power carved him.

disagree - wacth how he plays the younger players - always in short bursts and never in the postion they are meant for. Reynolds may have played a few minutes down back, but for the bulk of his game time he played on a HFF. Regardless of where we recruit him for the position he should play, surely if you pick a guy on form playing the back half then thats where he should play. An initial early fumble can be devastating to a young player and if they feel out of positon this will only exacerbate it.

he dropped Monfries due to a lack of game time - yet where was he playing him and why did he not play him for longer? And if you say he is not big enough, well he was playing SANFL last year and there are plenty of big boys there - put him in the middle and play him there. he doesn't have to play a lto there, but give him game time there.

The last midfielder we had who only played in the middle when being brought through was JJ and suprise, we have no other quality midfielders because he won;t play em there.

notenoughteams said:
Shaw and Harvey are still there. If they get credit for lifting us out of the doldrums, they are in the mix if we are back in them.

Team work or lack thereof is where you hit the spot. To see Brisbane get there's back on Saturday night was something else again.

You exercise a doubt as to whether Sheedy has the capabilty to develop a group that teams together again. Perhaps I do to. But with two years of his contract left am willing to see what happens.
For the moment, in naming Lovett and Bradley as players to build a future team around, am happy with where he is at. Probably Laycock to. If Justin Madden can play 300, that bloke can play 200 at least. You would have to think, anyway.

It think Harvey has gone stale there, don;t know about Shaw. Think he does a pretty good job.

I agree with focusing on the kids, but don;t jsut say it, do it. He said it last year that he would and he didn;t. he is conservative in his selection. How else can you explain Bullen and Haynes coming in so often when we know VFL form counts for naught with them (unfortunatley).

gandaal said:
You'll be getting Hill and Allan back this week so that'll help out.

it will help out the opposition. If they are the future of the club God help them

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheedy = Hypocrite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back