Sherman leaves Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

This year is a little odd. Not a lot of star power at the top with the cream already skimmed off and a lot of similar talent between 4 and about 25-30. I have a guy at 5 who many would not have in their top 20. After that there is a fair drop off but there is a lot of depth. There are probably another 60 or so players who could be selected anywhere from 30 to 90 and no-one would really blink an eyelid.

With the picks we have we can get some very nice players if we draft well. They might also address needs and improve our team.

might be a little of better the devil you know in using Risky's pick this year. Next year with be GWS's turn and if we're looking at the year after for a compensation pick then other teams like Geelong (if ablett goes), adelaide, hawks and anyone else may be using theirs as well which could push us lower as well. Add in the 2 other teams and the start of the second round falls at pick 19 anyway.

guess it depends on how people assess the depth of that draft is in that pick bracket. Hopefully we're putting in a bit of effort assessing this as part of our overall strategy.

Not all that shocked/disappointed, but thanks Shermo for perhaps one of my top 10 lions memories - namely, popping one through on the run and raising his arms in a victory celebration, nicely timed with an F1-11 doing a dump and burn over the gabba as Riverfire was on the same night.

Also remember this. I am thinking St Kilda.

It may have been Vossy and Chris Scott's last game IIRC.

As hideously overrated I think Armitage is around these parts, I raised the possibility of this trade in another thread earlier today. Sherman seems a perfect fit for the Saints as he would give them the same sort of outside pace and carry they recruited Lovett for.

I think the club will want a pick though, especially for the salary cap space.

Another good announcement for the club IMO, just another that has failed to deliver & it's as simple as that.

Knew this old chestnut would rear it's head.

Suprised another Queenslander has not been mentioned. If Fev goes & given reports of Sydneys interest in Sherman, I thought Jesse Whites name would have been thrown up at some stage. Personally I would prefer the picks but he would not be the worst result.

Media keep reporting salary cap issues, but take away Rischa, Brennan, & Sherman thats got to free up a lot (not even considering Fev). I think people are concentrating too much on salary cap & perhaps this decision is mutual with form playing a large part from the Clubs perspective.

Pick 13 (Brennan)
Pick 27 (Rischa comp)
Pick 30 (Sherman)

I would rather have the players

Brennan >700K or pick 7 - 15
Rischa >500K or pick 17 (next year)-27
Sherman >400K or pick 30

minus 2 inconsistent players

give me the picks and 1.6 mil

Wow, I can certainly see why Lions supporters can get frustrated with Shermo with the lack of a left foot etc but gee whiz this guy is 23,100 games and with two top 5 best and fairest results- one of which was a runner up when you missed finals. Hardly sounds like a down hill skier to me.
Must admit I thought it was odd that he finished top 5 last year playing as basically a permanent mid size forward- mainly half forward. Yet this year the only times he played that role was in his hundredth againt port- 4 goals 20ish disposals and against the cats where he kicked 3.4
Runner up B n F season played half back.
Bad year or a year wasted out of position? Simple fact he is not and never will be a midfielder.
Good luck to whoever gets him, would prefer him over Byrnes at the Cattery

Disappointed to see him go, an in form Sherman is a massive asset. Definitely inconsistent, and has been given an entire season of chances to regain form. Happy with a round 2 pick in Hadley's capable hands.

Will not miss his lack of footy smarts however- can't recall the amount of games when we've been down a couple of goals with 10 minutes left on the clock and he gives the 'slow the game down' gesture. Aaargh!

Yeah I have always gone into bat for Shermo, especially when people have called him a cocky, arrogant player.

Upon meeting him, you realise he is self-critical to a fault, and makes you realise the on-field persona is largely a front.

Not hard to grasp the possibility that his mental fragility is the reason for his incredibly erratic formlines. He is so bound by his own form that instead of being a week-to-week proposition, he is almost a season-to-season proposition.

If his new team can get him up and about on a consistent basis, he is clearly worth a first rounder. If they can't, he is worth a third rounder at best. Therefore a second rounder seems pretty fair on average.

Have always had a cult-hero liking for him though and he will be missed. I won't miss some of those incredibly bad hospital handballs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club will want a pick though, especially for the salary cap space.

Even still and with what is left, I can't believe we would still be close to salary cap breaking point. What is more staggering is that regardless of the overall result the club achieved this year, be it premiers, finalists or where we finished, this exodus was inevitable. One still wonders why would offer multiple year deals to newcomers Raines, Buchanan and Clarke.

There will be some very short pain to get through.

If that is the case, how Richmond-esq have we become. After the glory run from 99-04, we should have been a force again by about 08-09 for another crack. To think that from 05-14, the club may only play finals once (09) is just not good enough and will be highly detrimental to the overall sustainability of the club in a non-AFL market.

This loss of "prime-aged" players + Black and Power on their last legs (not derogatory) + contracted spuds like Raines, Buchanan, Charman, Stiller + an influx of teenagers will make the '11 Lions the weakest list we have ever had.

I'm usually against a team "rebuilding" - particularly as we can't afford the 2-3 years it takes at the bottom of the pile to do it properly, but we now have no other choice.

It's a bit concerning we have all these mid-range draft picks in a year not especially packed with outstanding young talent (by most reports). I hope we keep that Rischitelli compo pick for down the track.

Gubby Allen and Michael Voss along with a couple of others have created this mess. It worries me that Voss is on his last year of his contract needing to improve the side with all these tasty draft picks floating about. If he goes after recycled scum again this year on a SuperCoach trading spree to save face it will be the final straw for me.

Couldn't agree more with your whole post Warwick, but the section in bold has literally brought this great club to its knees (although I would throw Bowers' name in as well).

Hey guys, I come in peace (fellow northerner) I hope we get Sherman think he will do well at our club but i gotta say lay off Amon Buchanan, with a good preseason he will shine for you next year, was really disapointed when he left.

Hey guys, I come in peace (fellow northerner) I hope we get Sherman think he will do well at our club but i gotta say lay off Amon Buchanan, with a good preseason he will shine for you next year, was really disapointed when he left.

Don't know about shine, but I do agree Monty could play a valuable role in our midfield rotations still, or at worst be a great depth player.

A 2nd rounder for Sherman would be superb IMO. We could be well on the way to rebuilding if we can get a fair few quality picks in the first and second round... I just love watching the young kids develop into quality footballers.

Good Side
With all these guy's leaving the picks we might get will give us a decent young side to look forward to.

Bad Side
The big 3 as I like to call them hope it don't become the 8 that's been said and that was after the Rischtelli GC move.

Even still and with what is left, I can't believe we would still be close to salary cap breaking point. What is more staggering is that regardless of the overall result the club achieved this year, be it premiers, finalists or where we finished, this exodus was inevitable. One still wonders why would offer multiple year deals to newcomers Raines, Buchanan and Clarke.

If that is the case, how Richmond-esq have we become. After the glory run from 99-04, we should have been a force again by about 08-09 for another crack. To think that from 05-14, the club may only play finals once (09) is just not good enough and will be highly detrimental to the overall sustainability of the club in a non-AFL market.

Couldn't agree more with your whole post Warwick, but the section in bold has literally brought this great club to its knees (although I would throw Bowers' name in as well).
If the Lions are indeed going to post the 2m loss as has been whispered they might be intending to put their hand out to the AFL for some money. This being the case they usually have to bring their salary down to 92% of the cap and are trying to cut salaries now to do that. So we might not be that close to exceeding the cap but rather our cap trouble is that Bowers has done such a crap job that we need help and are not going to be able to pay everybody.

Ridiculous, Raines is the worst on the list and should be the first to go, not Selwood.

Really? WORST on the list? And that is based on what... your professional opinion as an internet forum contributor? How do you separate his performances from, say, Sheldon's? Collier's?
I like Selwood as much as the next guy, probably more than most to be honest. I was sad to see him go. That said, it's so easy to get on this forum and slag off players because you don't like them.

In Raines' 10 games this year he averaged:

19.3 Disposals (8th highest avg for the Lions)
9.9 Handballs (6th highest avg for the Lions)
9.4 Kicks (13th highest avg for the Lions)

In some of the stats he was definitely on the lower end of the list. That said, he has shown he can get the footy and had some really good passages of play early in the season. Coming from Richmond and their stellar development system, he might aswell be considered a rookie. If the Lions staff believe he may come good with a little development, let's trust in their professional footballing opinions.

In some of the stats he was definitely on the lower end of the list. That said, he has shown he can get the footy and had some really good passages of play early in the season. Coming from Richmond and their stellar development system, he might aswell be considered a rookie. If the Lions staff believe he may come good with a little development, let's trust in their professional footballing opinions.

In saying that our development team might want to pick up the slack a little themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sherman leaves Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back