Certified Legendary Thread Shhhhhh Shhhhh Shhhhh Shhhhhhh

Remove this Banner Ad

Shhhhh can tell you that James Worpel has recently signed a 3yr extension, removing him from the list of 2025 free agents.

Wow surprised he took on such a short deal. Would have thought he would have had some big offers next year.

Very loyal to the club.

Wow surprised he took on such a short deal. Would have thought he would have had some big offers next year.

Very loyal to the club.
Not really a short deal. It takes him to the end of ‘28

But I agree some clubs would’ve offered decent coin if he remained unsigned

Not really a short deal. It takes him to the end of ‘28

But I agree some clubs would’ve offered decent coin if he remained unsigned

Pretty short compared to the likes offered to Perryman and Cumming. Nash had 5 years on the table from elsewhere before he signed with us.

I'm sure someone would have thrown 5-6 years at Worpel.

Pretty short compared to the likes offered to Perryman and Cumming. Nash had 5 years on the table from elsewhere before he signed with us.

I'm sure someone would have thrown 5-6 years at Worpel.
5-6 years would take him to his early 30's where chances are unless he's gone up another level or two and isn't starting to show decline he'll be on rolling 1 year deals.

With a 3 year deal he'll be coming out of contract as a 28 year old and as an UFA. Good chance he can still snag a 5 year deal from someone at that point, or at least get another 3 from Hawthorn after further cap increases.

3 years is good for him and the club I reckon.

5-6 years would take him to his early 30's where chances are unless he's gone up another level or two and isn't starting to show decline he'll be on rolling 1 year deals.

With a 3 year deal he'll be coming out of contract as a 28 year old and as an UFA. Good chance he can still snag a 5 year deal from someone at that point, or at least get another 3 from Hawthorn after further cap increases.

I also get the feeling that Worps is the kind of guy who needs the impetus that a short deal brings compared to a long deal to bring out his best.

So much of his game is based on effort and pure grunt, having a shorter deal ensures he is always pushing himself to play on the edge.l which is where he thrives.

Unbelievable that he has gone from finding his way at an AFL footballer at senior level to a critical signing in a few years. Vital for the way we play tough, smart, and like his coach ended up doing, is turning into a very skillful player and finisher as well. Very under-rated.

Pretty sure it’s a 3 yr extension meaning it’s 4 more yrs in total.
That will make him 29, almost 30 by seasons end.
Bday in Jan

Worpel is an under appreciated player, within and outside the club. Having said that, strong possibility the club would have rewarded him over and above financially over the last few years when we were struggling to make the base cap payments.

I've only heard this news about Worps mentioned here so i'm not counting any chickens yet.
Surely it would have been on some kind of twitterfeed at least by now.

I've only heard this news about Worps mentioned here so i'm not counting any chickens yet.
It's happened quite a few times that players put pen to paper, but for whatever reason the club doesn't announce it straight away. I'd trust it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's your call. But those in the know.....know.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Shhhhhh Shhhhh Shhhhh Shhhhhhh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back