Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
If we want to get something decent, we need to give up something decent. I know it's a difficult concept to comprehend, but it's fact. I think a lot of clubs rate Goldy because he gets 1000+ hitouts per week. I personally don't rate him highly because he gives so little around the ground - 8 possessions last night. 1 mark. And if I'm not mistaken, he had 8 possessions at 3/4 time!!!! I know 2-3 years ago a lot of guys here were banging on that Goldy was tracking ahead of Cox at the same stage of their careers. How's that looking now?
Hitouts are over-rated - how many actually result in quality clearances per game - 2 to 3? And Kreuzer showed how valuable a ruckman can be when he can effectively become another midfielder.
Goldy has been smashed this year by Tom Nicholls (on debut vs GC), Zac Smith from Freo, Kreuzer last night.........

So we've re-signed Daw. Currie looked good in the pre-season. Has the club got the balls to make a big play for a decent trade-pick or will we continue to offer up scraps in the blind faith that a club is stupid enough out there to accept our trash?

Give me a ruckman who can take a contested mark and dominate around the ground ahead of a ruckman who only manages to impact the contest with tap outs. Tap Outs have to be the most overrated stat in football. So yeah if by trading Goldstein we manage to snare a gun midfielder I'm all for it. Currie could do exactly what Goldy is doing at the moment and that is "tapping the ball". :stern look

Geelong, Hawthorn and Fremantle have all shown this year that you don't need a star ruck - just someone that will compete and contest around the ground.

Still not sure what to do with Goldy though, i am a fan of him and can't see him going. But as has been said - you've got to give something to get something...

I'm in the unenviable position of both liking Goldy, but agreeing with the OP 100%.

I don't want him traded because he gives his all. And yet, he doesn't provide a good target forward. He does not take many contested marks around the ground. All he seems to have people swanning, fawning (and foeling) over, is his ability to jump slightly, and tap the ball down, to our advantage AT BEST 30% of the time.

Why is tapping the ball down from one 50/50 contest to create another rated so highly?

I would gladly go in with two bit-part primarily forwards/part time ruckmen, who are nimble and capable of both getting the ball at ground level and taking contested pack marks to lift the team when required.

I do not see the sense in playing one knackered tall guy who simply taps the ball down to a contested situation. What is the point of this? Why not let the other ruckman toil against someone not quite as good, get another midfielder in there, and win the 50/50 anyway?

Why not?

It'd be so easy to address some of our problems by tricking other teams into biting, and trading for our lumbering ruckman (who, incidentally, lowered his colours to Kruezer last night). We could then perhaps get one or two quick defenders, or a silky midfielder, or another Currie-type.

I just don't see the value in ruckmen who tap the ball but don't do much else. Sorry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for North to return to the days of the big swagger, when it comes to bringing players in to the club.
The huge 70s swagger. Trade our way up to a flag.

Dale Thomas as a free agent and Ryan Griffen in trade? I likey very much! But is Hot curry really any good? And do the Dogs give up their best player to snare someone who may be the greatest forward since Lockett or do his knee (ala Patton) and maybe never make it.

Dale Thomas as a free agent and Ryan Griffen in trade? I likey very much! But is Hot curry really any good? And do the Dogs really need another plodding ruckman (they already have Minson).

Ask the dumb ****s on here and Currie is Gary Dempsey reincarnated.

Trade Goldy just like we traded Hansen and how we haven't missed him because Pederson has dominated, oh wait.

Ask the dumb ****s on here and Currie is Gary Dempsey reincarnated.

Trade Goldy just like we traded Hansen and how we haven't missed him because Pederson has dominated, oh wait.

Fair enough. But play along - assume North were committed to trading in quality from another club. Who would you target and what would you put on the table?

I'm in the unenviable position of both liking Goldy, but agreeing with the OP 100%.

I don't want him traded because he gives his all. And yet, he doesn't provide a good target forward. He does not take many contested marks around the ground. All he seems to have people swanning, fawning (and foeling) over, is his ability to jump slightly, and tap the ball down, to our advantage AT BEST 30% of the time.

Why is tapping the ball down from one 50/50 contest to create another rated so highly?

I would gladly go in with two bit-part primarily forwards/part time ruckmen, who are nimble and capable of both getting the ball at ground level and taking contested pack marks to lift the team when required.

I do not see the sense in playing one knackered tall guy who simply taps the ball down to a contested situation. What is the point of this? Why not let the other ruckman toil against someone not quite as good, get another midfielder in there, and win the 50/50 anyway?

Why not?

It'd be so easy to address some of our problems by tricking other teams into biting, and trading for our lumbering ruckman (who, incidentally, lowered his colours to Kruezer last night). We could then perhaps get one or two quick defenders, or a silky midfielder, or another Currie-type.

I just don't see the value in ruckmen who tap the ball but don't do much else. Sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back