Shorter quarters YES or NO

Remove this Banner Ad

Graeme Cook

Senior List
May 15, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some in the media ( G.Lyon) are pumping for shorter quarters.
But in my opinion we don't need to anyone over 50 can remember the days of 25 minute quarters plus time on.
Now correct me if I'm wrong back then did the time clock keep running and only stopped during a quarter when a goal was scored or a serious injury occurred.
From memory 30 minutes was about as long as a quarter went unless it was high scoring.
Make life easier for umpires no time off time on calls.
When did it change to 20 minutes and time stops for boundary throw ins and ball ups.
Cheers Me.

I think that until it's perfect, there can always be a discussion for having a more efficient game, but we can leave the quarters at the length they are.

What I do think we can do to achieve a more efficient product is:
  • More efficient goal umpire reviews (I'm hugely in favour of removing hit the posts and touches from the game - I understand that's a controversial one not many agree with - but it essentially removes the need for goal umpires completely)
  • Removing the need for ruck nominations (just throw it up and penalize a team that has more than one player go up)
  • Remove the centre bounce in favor of a throw up.
  • Punish players for wasting time - this has been done slightly but nowhere near enough.

Last edited:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Clocks continually ran into the 35 minute mark and more during ‘time on’ in the old ‘100 minutes of football’ (25minutes a quarter) era. To shorten game like others have said -no ruck nominations, -less time between goals, - 15 minutes tops at half time, maybe 12?, -quicker score reviews.
Do not shorten play time at all!

No
Keep the Q the same but change the overall fixture

Every club should play once and then clubs have rival rounds

So we would have Swans, Saints and GWS

Garry Lyon and his ilk are just a loose cannon extension of the AFL mentality that the game is their little laboratory or engineering workshop that they can tinker with as much and as often as they like.

The best thing any of them can do is leave the friggin' game alone for 5 minutes. The sooner they all realise that the better. They are destroying what used to be a good game.

And Garry Lyon can FRO.

I want no more effin changes. There is no other elite sport that literally changes the rules every effin year. You can spend years building a list around the rules of the game including endurance and depth, then suddenly bang short burst players are way more suited. Like 3rd man up suddenly ****ing us cause we planned around the rules and didn't invest in rucks.

Remember the goal at the 40 minute and 8 second mark of the West Coast v Lions round 23 game that cost us top 4 in 2021? That was a laugh riot.

The longest qtr of the whole year in the last round…fabulous stuff, and included a timekeeper error… just how much of an error I still question to this day

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove boundary umpires waiting 30 seconds to throw it in. As soon as they get the ball, launch it back into play

There's 2-4 minutes a quarter saved right there

Goal line cameras that are better than a 2010 Nokia, removing ruck nominations, umpires who can actually bounce the ball to stop having to recall it

Plenty of ways to save time

Clocks continually ran into the 35 minute mark and more during ‘time on’ in the old ‘100 minutes of football’ (25minutes a quarter) era. To shorten game like others have said -no ruck nominations, -less time between goals, - 15 minutes tops at half time, maybe 12?, -quicker score reviews.
Do not shorten play time at all!

They could shorten the half time break. Goes forever, never used to be that long.

I remember back when we’d be drenched and frozen at the “Western Oval”, Windy Hill, Waverley, Moorabbin, etc when I’d pray that they’d just change ends at half time and keep playing so we could go home. Get into our cars and fog up the windows as our clothes started to dry out a bit with the heater on. Arrive home, have a hot shower, have some winter comfort food, get the late Herald with final scores in the margin and the Sporting Globe then wait for the replay to come on. We might even be on it if we’re really lucky.

Then watch the trots on The Penthouse Club with Mike Williamson, Mary Hardy, Smacka Fitzgibbon, Shirlene Clancy, etc (so awful, just for those old people 😁).

That was a long day at the footy freezing and soaked after watching the reserves as well. We loved it and did it all over again the next week.

That was a true test of endurance 🤪

More to the point, no to shorter quarters and actual playing time 😉

I agree with many of the suggestions above on how to cut time wastage out of the game. However, I do not want quarters shortened. The game already has structures to keep the game moving and allow for players to sustain performance throughout the 4 quarters, particularly with the 4 interchange and the sub. The game should remain a contest of fitness and endurance and not be manipulated to suit players' and the AFL's vested interests. We are the ones paying for the product so it needs to represent our preferences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shorter quarters YES or NO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back