Remove this Banner Ad

Mojo

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey guys and Madam Roughie,

This might be a little early to have this discussion since the Hawks just won the premiership, but have you given any thought on the decision Crawf has to make in the next month on possible retirement or to play on in 2009?

My feeling is, it's up to Crawford. I think AC mentioned something about his decision and his endeavor to continue, if that's what he wants, will be a big factor.

His knee/s aren't degenerative, and need 1-2 months of solid rest to properly/adequately (I don't know) mend themselves, which implies he can continue.

However, due to his on-going injury this season he fell kinda short on his overall performances compared to last season. I'm afraid that another injury at his age or a re-occurance of his knee troubles could cause more trouble than it's worth. Will he be able to renew his '07 form or even maintain his '08 shape?

Public scrutiny on the topic, 'knowing when to quit' kinda thing, sucks and I don't really want to see Crawf go through that.

In addition, the abundance of youth cracking the side this season is only going to grow ten-fold in '09.. will Crawf be more of an influence or a hinderance - witholding a position from a future Hawks player?

Absolutely love crawf. and up to him when he retires and I'd love to see him run around again, but what a great finish to his career it would be.
I guess there is always the risk that if he goes on next year of continuing injury or a drop off in form. I think is always best to go out on top.

Crawf is a superstar.

If I were him, I'd strongly consider it.
He has got his Brownlow Medal & Premiership Medallion, what else does he have to achieve?
A perfect way to hang up the boots just after a sweet premiership victory.

Can be played sparingly, only has to play 12-15 games

We can be ultra-careful with him, if he was too play on considering we have such good depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If his knee is okay and he is able to play 20 games next year, he is still very much in our best 22. I guess the problem Crawf has is the same one all greats like him have, he is virtually guaranteed a game, however players over thirty can slide very quickly. He's a proud man and I can't see him hanging around if he cannot contribute.

I'll trust Crawf to make the right decision.

I have a feeling that if the result had gone a different way yesterday, he would have definately played on. He has stated, for the last year or so, that the only reason he is/was still playing was for a premiership, he's got that now. I hope he goes around again, and becomes a dual premiership player.

I'm just happy he now takes his place amungst other Hawthorn greats as a premiership player.

He should retire. A premiership win after 17 years is the best ending one could hope for, there's not much more he could do in the game and I'd hate to see him struggle.

I think yes....

I love Crawf.

He has done it all now.

Captain....

Brownlow....

Premiership.....

Retire, and take the eternal respect of every HFC fan with you, on the best note of your career.

Let Tuck....Morton....Stokes.... get the same glory you have enjoyed.

Why would he retire if he didn't need to?

He more than justifed his position yesterday so as an elite midfielder who I notice is so popular amongst the playing group there is no reason that he couldn't play another season or 2 if he can fully get over his tendonitis.

I think he would be a very handy as an impact player who we could use off the bench.

He should retire. A premiership win after 17 years is the best ending one could hope for, there's not much more he could do in the game and I'd hate to see him struggle.

Spot on:thumbsu:

Its about Shane Crawford, not what we want or the club.

Anybody remember Doug Hawkins last year???:eek: Took a lot off the name he had built up.

Crawf is set for a big media career, and he can start by replacing Billy one-eyed Brownless on the footy shows:thumbsu:

I know he wants to play on, so I'm sure he will.

If he can get over his tendonitis he'll be a good player, he's still extremely fit, so if he can shake that problem (which is likely given a period of rest) with his knee why not?

Play on Crawf

Should not retire.

Just because you've won a flag it does not mean you hang up the boots.

You should retire when you are no longer good enough or no longer contributing.

I still believe his leadership is required around the young player group.

the timing seems perfect. it's not often you get the opportunity to retire on such terms. it's pretty clear that his game wasn't up to his usual standard this year, especially the consistency of his disposal. I don't kow how much of that was due to a reduced training capacity, but even so, at times it was not pretty.

on the other hand, if his knees pull up fine after surgery and he feels like he still has it in him then he could definately give it another run without disgracing himself. he's on the vets list, so his salary won't exactly matter, and we have the depth to cover him if he is only available for 10-15 games (quality, not quantity ;)).

he clearly loves playing, and he is finally winning some games. maybe he will play on just for the fun of it??

Im unsure to be honest.

If he retires, he would go out on top, in the best possible way to end your career. But we would lose such a great player.

If he continues playing we could have injury problems and selection problems. We have all these blokes like Stokes and McGlynn who should be playing and I think can be more valuable to the team.

Would love to see Crawf play on but if its best for the team then I hope he ends his career while he is on top! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Crawford retire?

Back