Remove this Banner Ad

achancely

Club Legend
Suspended
Dec 21, 2007
Glenelg
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's all well and good that he scored a lot of runs this season.

So did Michael Bevan. So did Darren Lehmann. They didn't get their spots back.

Katich is 32 going on 33, is a short-term option only and has shown in previous international stints that he is slow, inconsistent and lacks self-belief at Test level. The only thing he did consistently was drain our side of momentum.

David Hussey was a perfect option - a big season, and has been waiting in the wings for a while.

Why didn't Katich deserve the same treatment as Bevo and Boof?

record breaking year helps.

looking back there has been heaps of examples of players making a stack of runs but missed out for whatever reason (usually because incumbants couldn't be moved) - siddons, law (1 test?), boof, bevan to an extent etc

depends on the selectors mood really. if the team is seen to be aging they pick someone young - casson. the inclusion of katich? well he's done well this year but to me he wont get a game. otherwise i ask if the selectors are looking for youth why go for katich?

The problem is if you don't pick a guy who's performances clearly warrant it, players may lose heart. At 32 he's not too old for the short-term if there are injuries in the Windies. He can fill the breach and would be expected to perform well against them. Marsh has got the nod for the one dayers and gets a chance, as others have in the past, to ease his way into the system. Hussey and Gilly got the nods relatively late; they demanded it. We could easily have gone with a younger keeper who could have given us 10-12 years but didn't.

This board never ceases to amaze, me, should Katich have been picked?, of course he should have, his the best backup batsmen in the country by a mile.

Most people on these boards have ____ all idea about cricket and let there state bias and petty jealously of certain players cloud their thoughts and views.

Mcgain is probably a decent bowler, but anyone who thinks he should have been picked is either a Victorian or deleuded. We need a spinner for the future, mcgain is not the answer, casson may or may not be. You vics need to put up or shut up.

Mcgain is probably a decent bowler, but anyone who thinks he should have been picked is either a Victorian or deleuded. We need a spinner for the future, mcgain is not the answer, casson may or may not be. You vics need to put up or shut up.

We need batsmen for the future - Katich is not the answer.
BTW,this thread was started by a South Australian,so don't go slagging off Vics for it.

just because katich isnt as flashy as the other aussie batsmen he isnt really liked by the general cricket public. hes a run scorer and you cant ignore that form. i thought he should've been in earlier, we kept persisting with guys that were proven yet in very bad form.

good to see him get a go.

Katich definately deserves his spot in the squad. his form probably deserves selection in the starting XI. I have no problem with the Katich selection at all. BUT the decision to have Beau Casson in the squad is a joke. Would not be in the best 10 spinners in the country.

Problem for Kat is that he'll need an injury to get into the side, unless they use him as an opener when Hayden and/or Jacques fail (as they will).

Ponting and Clarke will never be dropped, Hussey is a god, and Symonds is the all rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two wrongs doesn't make one right though. In the end, they all probably deserved more chances back in their time. Katich scored his runs and he deserves his spot, and luckily he was selected, and rightly so

Dave Hussey probably deserves an opportunity but there are only so many spots in the squad (Besides, NSW players get priority anyway as we all know :D ). If he keeps scoring runs then eventually the selectors can't possibly deny him

We need batsmen for the future - Katich is not the answer.
BTW,this thread was started by a South Australian,so don't go slagging off Vics for it.

We have batsmen everywhere coming up through the ranks, batting will not be a problem for us into the future.

Spin bowling will be, that is undeniable.

That is why Mcgain wasn't picked, Katich could still give us 2 - 3 years of service if his required for Australian duties, that is a lot of time for younger batsmen to build there game at FC level.

Casson is a left-field and smart selection, picking Mcgain was only ever going to happen if Macgill wasn't fit, Casson would then have been picked with Mcgain.

There is no point taking Macgill and McGain, that is a selection bushranger would be happy with but not people who know cricket.

I feel confident our batting stocks are good as well as our bowling stocks, however, the spin bowling department is a concern.

The selectors are trying to address this.

Chappelli was just on radio and said that none of the youngsters were knocking on the selection door with the performances with the bat this summer. He thinks with most of the best bowlers on test duty, good batsmen should be able to make heaps of runs over the course of the season with Katich showing how it should be done. He also believes now that extras don't get tour matches, you might as well take your best team for the present, unlike years ago when you could blood youngsters in the tour games.

Bevo and Boofs non reselections were mistakes, along with Hayden coming back to the 1 day team this makes up for it a little. I dont care if they are 45 yrs old, pick whoevers making lotsa runs

It's all well and good that he scored a lot of runs this season.

Katich is 32 going on 33, is a short-term option only and has shown in previous international stints that he is slow, inconsistent and lacks self-belief at Test level. The only thing he did consistently was drain our side of momentum.

David Hussey was a perfect option - a big season, and has been waiting in the wings for a while.

Why didn't Katich deserve the same treatment as Bevo and Boof?
Michael Bevan was a long way gone from the Test frame when he had that season and Boof was a fair bit older than Katich is now. I'm not sure Boof was even available for Australia at that stage.

Those players' situations were different to Katich's. Hence the different outcome.

I don't see how anyone can whinge about Katich's selection.

He's been picked as the reserve batsman for a three-Test series. Big deal. He probably won't even play a match.

But his past domestic season totally justifies that call.

If they're looking to the future,which is the excuse for Casson's selection over McGain,then pick a young guy like Shaun Marsh.
Why do we have to take the same approach to picking spinners that we've taken to picking batsmen?

They're different parts of the team and there are different levels of talent available.

Besides, we're still taking 37-year-old MacGill, so you can't exactly say, "we've punted on youth with the spinners."

And what has Shaun Marsh done to justify a spot in the Test squad?

This whole "looking to the future" line is a bit overcooked. We're still trying to pick the best side available to us at the moment. The fact that we have zero emerging spinners means that we have to take a bit of a risk in that department.

When it comes to the batting, we don't need to take that kind of risk, because we've got such solid back-up that we may as well use it.

Michael Bevan was a long way gone from the Test frame when he had that season and Boof was a fair bit older than Katich is now. I'm not sure Boof was even available for Australia at that stage.

Those players' situations were different to Katich's. Hence the different outcome.

I don't see how anyone can whinge about Katich's selection.

He's been picked as the reserve batsman for a three-Test series. Big deal. He probably won't even play a match.

But his past domestic season totally justifies that call.

Katich has been out of the side for quite a while.

Lehmann was not picked (before his eventual recall at 33) after several record-breaking seasons.

My point was whether a record-breaking season really means that much, and, given the age of our side, whether it wouldn't have been better to blood a younger or more game-turning batsman (ie Hussey).

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Katich have been picked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back