Should the Gold Coast consider trading Ablett back to a Vic Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's pretty fair.

There has to be a point in any contest where you accept you're getting hurt, level things up by clamping down and then starting again.

It's crucial particularly when every young bloke is looking and learning from you.

IMO opinion that almost sends a message that it's ok to get beaten as long as you win a heap of the ball and the stats look good.

It has to be a worry.

Most people would look at the stat sheet and say he's won his battle, but his opponent had 32 and kicked 3.

That's not accountability even if you rack in 50+ posses.

Who has helped their side more?

match the other 21 head to head and see how those comparisons fare.

Ablett is the Captain and one of if not the most experienced player out there for the GC.

He has to set the tone both offensively and defensively.

When your man kicks 3 from the middle ands gets over 30 losses, in any event, you probably need to re-think your approach.

Ablett is the Captain and one of if not the most experienced player out there for the GC.

He has to set the tone both offensively and defensively.

When your man kicks 3 from the middle ands gets over 30 losses, in any event, you probably need to re-think your approach.

maybe the coach needs to coach to his teams strengths and allow a lesser player to rum with Thomas leaving ablett to take care of the 4th or 5th best middy

Ablett average disposals in wins = 24.33 disposals a game (73 in 3)
Ablett average disposals in losses = 33 disposals a game (832 in 25)

Gold Coast average losing margin with Ablett = 57 points
Gold Coast average losing margin without Ablett = 70 points (including a 150 point loss to a team that won by 186 the week before - take that out and average losing margin is 43 points)

I just wanted to post this because it's quite interesting.

Anyone can play this game.

Maybe GC should do a direct swap for Franklin, a midfielder who gets too many possessions for a forward who kicks too many goals.

Hawks look for Buddy way too often going inside 50, to the detriment of the team. Plus he is too selfish, always going himself and never passing off to teammates in better position. Stifling the rest of our forward line.

Hawthorn's winning % since 2010 with Franklin = 63%
Without Franklin = 71%

Clearly we'd be better off without him, as GC would without Ablett :rolleyes:

There is a hint of stats-consciousness about Ablett's play. Perhaps it's a similar situation to the story recounted in the paper last week about a junior game at which recruiters asked for Cotchin to be benched after 10 minutes because they weren't getting to see the other kids show their wares.

Over the last month, in losing to three opponents ranked 13th-17th (plus Collingwood), they've fielded teams old enough to win AFL matches. In recent seasons, struggling Melbourne, Richmond and West Coast teams have won games with younger line-ups. Without hitting the panic button, it's fair to assume that the Suns' development this year has not progressed as well as the AFL would've planned.

0-10...whatever the new, secret criteria for being awarded a priority pick, they must be on track.

Ablett is a legend of the game, Collingwood truly are the Manchester Utd of the AFL (West Coast being the Real Madrid), Gold Coast are going to get smashed for a few years, but they'll be good in his twilight years as a fwd pocket.

... Collingwood truly are the Manchester Utd of the AFL (West Coast being the Real Madrid), Gold Coast are going to get smashed for a few years, but they'll be good in his twilight years as a fwd pocket.

rofl.png

Although... by that logic Geelong is Barcelona. They have won the most trophies in recent history and play the most attractive style of football... I give you a retrospective thumbs up :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I think the Gold Coast's problem is the other "oldies" they drafted. They aren't very good, to be honest, aside from Bock (who is missing) and Rischitelli. Harbrow is OK and Brennan is a liability quite frankly. The GWS have done it perfectly to my mind. You have the young kids and the olds. Then you have this "in-between" group (Ward et al) that can hold each line together so you don't end up with Bock, Ablett, whoever being surrounded by n00bs on their respectively line.

The GWS have a midfield group that if need be can go win some contests/clearances (as a group, not just relying on one player). Power, Ward, J-Mac then Palmer/Scully if you need it. All GCFC have is Ablett and Rischitelli. Add Swallow but then it falls away rather quickly.

Moreover they seem to be a "team" rather than Ablett and a bunch of other blokes. In terms of identity which I'm sure at some level plays on the Gold Coast boys minds.

Plus they have "The Chad".

I fall in the camp that Gold Coast plays a bit better without Ablett. Not that I think its his fault or because his selfish or anything.

Its just I feel as a young Gold Coast player there would always be that thought, that they can and possibly should let Gary do something, whereas when he's not there they have to be the ones who step up.

He is an enabler he allows the other members of the team to play poorly when he is there.

Yeah if that is what they are worried about, him taking away disposals from youngsters in the middle...but they will always do this later in his career...remember Gray Ablett has Tuck blood in him, he will be around for quite a long time to come.
No he doesn't, he has no Tuck blood in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should the Gold Coast consider trading Ablett back to a Vic Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back