Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

she was adamant we’d need another secondary market outside of Melbourne after Hobart.
If, like Jen said, it’s essential for the club to establish a new secondary market outside of Melbourne
I don't recall her saying that.

JW: [Tasmania] is a big financial return for the club, so we will need to find something, and that probably doesn't look like just bringing four games back to Marvel. There'll be something, and we're exploring those options meaningfully now.
ABC: Can you give us some locations that you're looking at?
JW: We are open minded... We're not afraid of [travelling, playing home games in secondary markets], but it'll be what's best for the club, and we're exploring all options now.

The former General Manager of Commercial Operations and Partnerships for the MCC is probably aware we would've made so much more money this year by playing the Good Friday game and R16 v Collingwood at the MCG.

Her answer about post-Tasmania doesn't suggest we aren't looking across town as an option for the "something", even if it is a tall order.

Not a bad idea but only 2 games, let’s see if it’s got legs, finding a stadium that can be converted to AFL might be an issue (where is Olympic stadium?) plus the Japanese would go nuts for all the kangaroo Merch overall “sir your sword will kill” 👍
Would need to find an open space as Soccer and Baseball grounds are too small plus a massive backer from Japan too fall in love with the NMFC

I don't recall her saying that.

The former General Manager of Commercial Operations and Partnerships for the MCC is probably aware we would've made so much more money this year by playing the Good Friday game and R16 v Collingwood at the MCG.

Her answer about post-Tasmania doesn't suggest we aren't looking across town as an option for the "something", even if it is a tall order.

Isn't it the case that playing a home game against Collinwood at the MCG means getting shit seats and function rooms due to the fact that they take everything as the priority tenant club?

Would need to find an open space as Soccer and Baseball grounds are too small plus a massive backer from Japan too fall in love with the NMFC
The Tokyo Olympic stadium.......erm ever heard of a car manufacturer called Mazda??? They could be a driving force in making it happen.

1720087894138.png

Last edited:
Where ever we land on this....I hope the players or at least the leadership group has the nerve to voice their opinion on the matter to the board.

Because (and I've mentioned this multiple times before) if they spoke truthfully about traveling to Hobart 4 times a year....they would tell you that they would rather not get on a plane & sleep in a hotel room. Those guys wanna sleep in their own bed and drive to the venue on game day.

We'll never really know but I've often wondered how much our presence down in Hobart has impacted our chances 'trade wise' over the years.
ie - Why come to this club when all these other clubs in Melbourne travel only 2-3 times a year?

There's no way it would have helped our cause in that regard.

We will suffer short-term financial pain if we stop selling games.

We will suffer long-term financial pain if we continue to sell games.

There is an opportunity cost to not playing all our home games in Melbourne that is easy to overlook, it is an intangible that doesn't show up in a spreadsheet or in your accounts.

The target is to be able to get 40-50k people at home games at Docklands against teams like GC, Fremantle, Port, GWS, etc. This means it will push people into the higher tiers of seating and membership packages, we will make a lot more from catering and alcohol sales, get a lot more from sponsorship and advertising revenue. Our new stadium deal is a great deal to make money, but you need to get more people through the door consistently.

What is the best way to increase the critical mass of supporters who want to attend games? Is it by playing home games here sporadically and forcing supporters to attend games with away game seating restrictions or is to to play every home game here and try and build the culture of going to the football every week, including away games? We play at the MCG fewer times than some interstate teams, it is because we don't have a supporter base that has been conditioned to going to the football. We've had a lot of weekends with no game to go to and people found something else to do with their time and when that happens they stop going to games when they are here. I've seen it a lot with North family and friends over the years.

We were ahead of Saints and Bulldogs for local support for a long time and now we are dead last, by a significant margin. That damage has been self-inflicted. The Wyndham association has been a great boon for our club but that was an AFL initiative, we have had a lack of proactive investment in Melbourne initiated by us and followed through by us. If we think we are going places with Clarkson and this new batch of talent, the time is right to bring the games home and put the focus on the other growth regions of Melbourne. We need to replicate what we are doing in Wyndham in these other areas.

It is never going to just happen. It has to be something we work for.

It's 6-7 interstate games for the least travelling Victorian teams btw. If making an extra 3-4 short trips per year results in bad Melbourne crowds and poor recruitment, I guess somebody forgot to tell Hawthorn.

The NMFC players and supporter base are far less precious, and the admin has been far more proactive in the past 15 years, than what some of you are making out.

The reason any club would ideally not want to rely on these home game deals with governments is simply because it's delusional to think they can last. But relying on drawing 50k supporters vs GWS is just as delusional.

Isn't it the case that playing a home game against Collinwood at the MCG means getting shit seats and function rooms due to the fact that they take everything as the priority tenant club?
I dont see why that has to be the case. The MCG has more than enough seats and function rooms for the 25k NMFC members that would show up.

I like the idea of selling a couple home games to Collingwood & the Tigs each year if it covers the Tassie nut. We get to see the boys live, would get similar seating to our Marvel home games, and the boys get more exposure playing to big crowds & the G.

It's 6-7 interstate games for the least travelling Victorian teams btw. If making an extra 3-4 short trips per year results in bad Melbourne crowds and poor recruitment, I guess somebody forgot to tell Hawthorn.

The NMFC players and supporter base are far less precious, and the admin has been far more proactive in the past 15 years, than what some of you are making out.

The reason any club would ideally not want to rely on these home game deals with governments is simply because it's delusional to think they can last. But relying on drawing 50k supporters vs GWS is just as delusional.
Does watching shitty teenage romcom shows like teen wolf give you telepathy powers?

Your hawthorn comparison is apple & oranges…………btw.

Speaking of which…..Jas Garner & Dunstall?!?!?!?! And he’d be able to play midfield in todays game? Guys!!! Lockett would dominate in Sydney’s midfield if he was playing today. Nothing says elite like having a hotdog and taking a drag during the halftime break.

Go back to your rants about this place not supporting women’s footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like this is a bit short sighted by the club by pawning ourselves off to new, irrelevant markets. I don't see there really being much to gain out of this NT move and I certainly don't see it being very cost effective.

With all the residential planning around Arden St, we should be focussing on our home. Add to that, once we start winning games on a far more regular basis, which I don't think is too far away, North fans are going to be flooding back to the footy after everything they've endured over the last 5 years.

I feel like this is a bit short sighted by the club by pawning ourselves off to new, irrelevant markets. I don't see there really being much to gain out of this NT move and I certainly don't see it being very cost effective.

With all the residential planning around Arden St, we should be focussing on our home. Add to that, once we start winning games on a far more regular basis, which I don't think is too far away, North fans are going to be flooding back to the footy after everything they've endured over the last 5 years.
Additional trips to the NT are a totally different prospect than 70 minute flights to Hobart as well. Playing in those conditions up North mid season would probably impact the players’ recovery for the following game as well. Would be madness to lock our players into this level of disadvantage, right when (as you said), they should be performing better and winning more games.

Does watching shitty teenage romcom shows like teen wolf give you telepathy powers?

Your hawthorn comparison is apple & oranges…………btw.

Speaking of which…..Jas Garner & Dunstall?!?!?!?! And he’d be able to play midfield in todays game? Guys!!! Lockett would dominate in Sydney’s midfield if he was playing today. Nothing says elite like having a hotdog and taking a drag during the halftime break.

Go back to your rants about this place not supporting women’s footy.
Telepathy wasn't required to anticipate your off-topic tantrum, which is indicative of an intellectually challenged sore loser who (once again) can't adequately defend his original claim.

Nobody expected you could come up with a factual list of "reasons why the four-game Tasmania deals have had dramatically different effects for each club" (which would've been the only valid response). And it looks like we were all correct.

Where ever we land on this....I hope the players or at least the leadership group has the nerve to voice their opinion on the matter to the board.

Because (and I've mentioned this multiple times before) if they spoke truthfully about traveling to Hobart 4 times a year....they would tell you that they would rather not get on a plane & sleep in a hotel room. Those guys wanna sleep in their own bed and drive to the venue on game day.

We'll never really know but I've often wondered how much our presence down in Hobart has impacted our chances 'trade wise' over the years.
ie - Why come to this club when all these other clubs in Melbourne travel only 2-3 times a year?

There's no way it would have helped our cause in that regard.

Yes it probably cost Hawthorn several premierships. :rolleyes:

Telepathy wasn't required to anticipate your off-topic tantrum, which is indicative of an intellectually challenged sore loser who (once again) can't adequately defend his original claim.

Nobody expected you could come up with a factual list of "reasons why the four-game Tasmania deals have had dramatically different effects for each club" (which would've been the only valid response). And it looks like we were all correct.
Intellectually challenged sore loser.....over what...your content?

Please....you're a hollow north supporter who over compensates pushing the women's agenda.

You wanted a side by side list of comparisons with Hawthorn/North re tassie. Perhaps you've missed the bigger picture.....we've been the traveling Kangaroos since the early 2000's and we've been all the poorer for it in a multitude of ways. Thankfully others have already raised this point.

And who's this 'we'? Since when did you post on the behalf of others?

Just out of interest when you watch that show....do you imagine yourself as the damsel in distress? Does the guy turn into a werewolf by conventional terms ie full moon?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the genre......I remember watching a Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer movie called Wolf many years ago.....great movie.

But this looks like a bag of dog sh!t...
teen-wolf-cast_320x240-d06cc0e13fdb463db2c069602228b2f8.jpg

I'd rather watch 2 homeless guys ****ing each other than watch ^that^.

I don't think we should be pursuing a "secondary market" if that means deluding ourselves that we will turn Cairns let alone some part of regional Victoria into a stronghold that generates us members.

That argument is dead and buried imo.

We certainly need $$$ to replace the Tassie money bit we can go a fair way to replacing that simply by selling games to the highest bidder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back