Should we leave a space open?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After the draft, the 'reject' that we were going to use to take as our last pick, we passed on as he had already been taken by another club.

From what was taken, Sav,Pike,Gale,Carroll etc have to say im glad someone spared us the trouble.

Now do we leave a spot open on the list hoping that one of the rookies (S.Tuck,Baird,Malseed or a new one) comes on this next season. Or do we go for another reject? Personally id much prefer the first option. Better to take a risk on a potential youngster imho than some hack whos been cut from another club. Still i dont hold my breath waiting for it.

Cheers.

I have to agree if they were what was in our sights I can't have any of them (Powell a maybe because of our terrible crumbing this year but he went after we finished). I still like Arnott & Orchard as players though obviously they aren't on the table.
I suppose they can invite 5-6 of the players who didn't get the call to train there untilthe draft in the hope of getting a crack.
The Woewodin option of taking a punt on an older player who has been passed up in the draft a couple of times is another option.
Kris Miller from East Freo would be an example of this (20 y.o small forward / midfield can play).
It is however very feasible that we would leave the vacant spot & list 6 rookies who would all therefore be able to be listed without an injury.
GM

One of those mysteries - who was it going to be ? Dermie had said he wanted Rocca but Perhaps Sziller as a midfielder.

And don't worry about a crumber - If aaron is fit he will do nicely - one of the most consistent in the league in terms of if the gets a few split second opportunities near goal - he will kick 2 to 5 goals

And I don't concur with those who say he is not a 'worker' - If you watch a few game videos if he's not near the ball he'll be somewhere harrassing a defender or genarally chucking himself about.

He's abysmal on a st shot 25-35 m out but deadly at other distances - but others can cover that part of the game

Our midfield is a weakness i believe, i agree that an arnott or orchard type would be good, i would prefer arnott as he is very versatile and a very good player, lets not forget i think he came third in geelong b and f in 99

I reckon we did well in the draft!!!
I can't wait till next season, to see how all the younger guys from this year go, like bateman, mcpharlin, johnson and i really wanna see chris obst get a go.

Go the Hawks 2001
Dutchy is a Gun!!!

i also think we have done pretty well out of the draft, although realistically we wont know until the 2003 season is complete.
i was a little disappointed we didnt pick up someone like a tony brown, he's played plenty of good footy with the saints and although he is a little slow he can find the footy and could be a handy midfield backup...

Just a reminder for others, hawthorn is holding their open day at the MCG on sunday, i think its from 10am - 3pm. Went along last year and you can see all the rooms, coaches boxes and facilities of the players, as well as supporter areas available to us hawk supporters....
also you can go on a tour of the 'G' and go into places like the Long room etc in the mcc members area.
So how many will be going along this year....
If for nothing else go along for the great hawthorn playing highlights of the 2000 season playing on the main scoreboard..... if that doesnt fire you up for next season nothing ever will...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back