News Monkhurst and Otten leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

Monkey leaving is important. From my info he was paid very little... he did the job for the love of being a part of helping young ruckmen

I am sad to see him leave.

There'll be other ruck coaches.

I'm starting to wonder how comfortable Cyril would have felt having a bloke around the club who racially vilified his uncle

I guess you haven't lived long enough, your good reasons suck.

View attachment 1522150

View attachment 1522151

There's some absolutely fine examples - but there are far more cautionary tales when it comes to appointing favourite sons as coaches.

Voss, Leppitsch, Ratten, Hird, Primus all recent examples of it going not so well. I have faith in Sammy to buck the trend though.

There's some absolutely fine examples - but there are far more cautionary tales when it comes to appointing favourite sons as coaches.

Voss, Leppitsch, Ratten, Hird, Primus all recent examples of it going not so well. I have faith in Sammy to buck the trend though.
Voss and Hird jumped in without doing the hard yards as an assistant.
Voss did ok got them to finals and then made bad decisions at the trade table.
Hird got his players to take performance enhancing drugs.
Ratten did ok and was pushed out for the messiah coach Malthouse.
Primus was just there after a decent era ended and didn't work out

I guess you haven't lived long enough, your good reasons suck.

View attachment 1522150

View attachment 1522160
You’re overlooking Knights, Judge and Schwab.

Personally I think the way football has transformed from a 2 night training - match day commitment of 10 - 15 hours in the 1960s to full time professionalism means the above comparison is moot.

Tactics, strategy, coaching defensive / offensive method, etc. these are things Kennedy would never have had to do in any depth, and Parkin only a fraction in the 70s.

What most clubs get through acquiring coaches who didn’t play there is extensive / broad football IP from other programs. Players coaching elsewhere than the clubs they played for are the norm now, and for good reason.

Thompson, Malthouse, C. Scott, Clarkson, Longmire, Beveridge, Hardwick, Simpson and Goodwin are the last 9 premiership coaches. Only Beveridge played for the club they took to the flag, and he played for 3 seasons in between Melb and St Kilda. More importantly, he never coached at the Dogs. There’s a pretty strong theme here don’t you think?

Last edited:

Personally I think the way football has transformed from a 2 night training - match day commitment of 10 - 15 hours in the 1960s to full time professionalism means the above comparison is moot.

Tactics, strategy, coaching defensive / offensive method, etc. these are things Kennedy would never have had to do in any depth, and Parkin only a fraction in the 70s.

What most clubs get through acquiring coaches who didn’t play there is extensive / broad football IP from other programs. Players coaching elsewhere than the clubs they played for are the norm now, and for good reason.

Thompson, Malthouse, C. Scott, Clarkson, Longmire, Beveridge, Hardwick, Simpson and Goodwin are the last 9 premiership coaches. Only Beveridge played for the club they took to the flag, and he played for 3 seasons in between Melb and St Kilda. More importantly, he never coached at the Dogs. There’s a pretty strong theme here don’t you think?

You pick and choose who you like to, I'll do the same.
My response isn't that you must ALWAYS pick the fella that played at your Club to one day lead you to coaching success, but that it isn't a good reason to ALWAYS decide it's a bad idea.

pagan.jpg

Worsfold.jpg

paul roos.jpg

In my very humble opinion, as greater numbers of players move from their days of kicking the Sherrin as a pro athlete to going through coaching courses and learning under various other senior coaches/mentors, we will see ever increasing numbers of players who find their way back to their original Club and taste the ultimate success with them.

I take it you are not backing Sam in to do the job for us.
I most definitely am.

Last edited:

How many coaches have coached the teams at which they played?

The theme is that coaches generally coach at clubs other than where they played purely because there are ~17 other clubs to coach at. If you look at Wooden Spoons since 2000, there's only Worsfold (who also won a flag coaching the club he played at) and Grant Thomas who won the spoon. The rest are all from different clubs! Pretty strong theme don't you think? :p

You pick and choose who you like to, I'll do the same.
My response isn't that you must ALWAYS pick the fella that played at your Club to one day lead you to coaching success, but that it isn't a good reason to ALWAYS decide it's a bad idea.

View attachment 1522453

View attachment 1522468

View attachment 1522469

In my very humble opinion, as greater numbers of players move from their days of kicking the Sherrin as a pro athlete to going through coaching courses and learning under various other senior coaches/mentors, we will see ever increasing numbers of players who find their way back to their original Club and taste the ultimate success with them.

I take it you are not backing Sam in to do the job for us.
I most definitely am.
Not entirely.

I felt we should have considered McRae (who was on our staff) more seriously for the job ahead of Sam in 2020 as he had so much experience at several clubs / roles. I thought our “succession” plan had a touch of nepotism in it.

Having said that I think he has started well, and hope Sam does a great job for years to come. 👍

To be frank, the examples you have shown are all premiership coaches from 16 - 22 years ago. Football has changed immensely since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Monkhurst and Otten leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

Back