• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm sure there'd be lots of people here with a side hustle, either a legitimate business or a hobby that makes money on the side, drop shipping, flipping cars, restoring furniture, selling artwork, gardening, day trading financial instruments, being a handy man, pet sitting, cutting hair, doing make up, dog walking, buying and selling collectibles, etc.

The point is these are outside of your day job or regular income and not the sole focus of your time.

What do you do? Does it make money? How much time do you spend on it? Is it more for money or for enjoyment?

Let's hear them!

I do Uber and Uber Eats. About 5 - 10 hours a week. Gives me a few hundred dollars a week to spend so I can put aside most of my salary (after my mortgage has come out).

Usually between 5 and 10 bucks. Then you have bonuses such as an extra $30 if you do 5 deliveries for the week.
so if you did an hours of deliveries what would you estimate your hourly pay rate to be?

Between $30 - 40.
What are your expenses like?
Uber’s cut
Petrol
Car maintenance / servicing
Car cleaning
Income tax
GST
Insurance
Superannuation
Toll roads
Fines (ie speeding or parking)

Good on you for finding ways to finance some fun as well as paying off the mortgage etc.

What are your expenses like?
Uber’s cut
Petrol
Car maintenance / servicing
Car cleaning
Income tax
GST
Insurance
Superannuation
Toll roads
Fines (ie speeding or parking)

Good on you for finding ways to finance some fun as well as paying off the mortgage etc.

Apart from tax really only petrol which is tax deductible. I guess depreciation on the car too but I have a novated lease on my car and I'm meant to be doing 15km a year which without Uber I was struggling to do as I live 5 min drive from work. From what I hear doing it in a big city wouldn't be as profitable but for my regional Queensland city it's perfect.

I am considering leasing out a large workshop on my property but I am unsure on council regulations and I'll probably need liability insurance etc. And I'm unsure about facilities. I can make some good coin on it for something that I don't really need right now but it's everything else that comes with it that is a concern.

Pick up the odd bartending shift 2-3 times a month for a bit of spare cash. While the cash isn't superb ($31-$47 hr) it's more enjoying being on my feet instead of sitting in an office chair, the steady flow of a busy bar and the interaction with people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have spent some time as an artist, halted by parenting. i've had numerous exhibitions, sold work and reproductions. after becoming a parent my abn was cancelled through inactivity. the last 6 months have started putting more time into creation and thrown my work into open entry exhibitions. it's very hard maintaining a relationship, job, being a parent, and beginning creative enterprises while lacking discipline and perhaps wasting things on time like video games - they are my one real weakness. i've grown to hate watching tv or streaming of any kind, it makes me die inside.

in the last couple of months have managed to spreadsheet out my world domination now that i've found some more time. i've itemised my return to an arts career, but as a part of what i want to attempt to achieve. mapped out the physical stuff and the social media attack.
i'm in the process of hopefully leveraging my collection of a particular film studio (not pr0n..) into paying for itself. movie blogging is a labour of love, but if i can muster the time youtube may begin to financially compensate. the films i'd cover are too niche to gain too much traction.
where real money is, is youtube content dedicated for children. have some plans here. would be more job-like than covering movies and have to push myself into it. have the requisite skills and means for video editing.
parents will sit their kids in front of the most inane crap on youtube... i know first-hand.

longer term stuff like learning guitar and returning to music. long way off this, but it's all in the spreadsheet.

Met a bloke who pulls in about $2k extra a month (probably less after his costs) by going to markets / garage sales / etc , buying cheap undervalued stuff and flipping it on eBay or Facebook.

He does put a fair bit of time into it though.
Can't stand this shit.

Became really big in covid with people going to op shops and flipping stuff on depop.

What happened was people with an eye for a bargain who could get their own steals for 5 bucks ended up selling the stuff they weren't that keen on for 30 bucks, which made the op shops charge 20 bucks for those same items. and then they started hiring people full time to identify valuable items and that's why you now walk in and it's $300 for a bang average Seiko ('it's vintage') and any old Russell Athletic jumper from 2004 to be 75 bucks with a dye tag.

Genuinely ****ed.

We have a few side hustles going on here.

Stream gaming on Twitch / YouTube / Tiktok
New YouTube Channel started up for our family vlogs and adventures
Home Graze box / Graze table business
Etsy store with editable birthday invites etc.

My streaming and youtube was just for a bit of fun and while it does make money i never push for that or ask people to subscribe, but always very thankful if they do. So far I've made about $80 on Youtube (just from Videos being watched), $60 on tiktok (from tik tok live bits), About $900 on twitch.

Our family youtube we literally launched earlier this week so wont be making money off that for a while unless we boom to 1k subscribers quickly!

The Graze box / table / gift business we launched during COVID (not by design) and was a passion of my wifes. Because we could still do contactless delivery COVID year was still by far our biggest year doing about $60-70k worth of sales. we have got no where near that ever since with graze boxes probably more of a luxury item not at the top of the list with cost of living.

The Etsy store we also just launched a month ago. My wife is also super creative and has created a lot of birthday invites for our kids parties and friends kids parties. I finally convinced her to upload these as digital files, cause you just never know who might like them. the works already been done. so far we have made about $60 in sales, which I think is pretty good given the amount of other birthday invites on there.

Unfortunately none have fully gone boom on a consistent level but it has definitely help fund a few different things along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Business & Finance Side hustles for money

Back