Discussion Silver Lining

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic thread Punter. The doomsdayers have been writing us off for years with talk of 'closed windows'. I think we're in a better position now than the same time last season, with youngsters ready to make an impact.

Well, let's say better position than last year + 2 weeks :eek:

the problem with getting Fev, is that one F*ck up and its all over the meida once again about how bad the saints are! and the mdeia circius would continue!. not sure the saints corporates would be able to handle another off season filled drama club!

the problem with getting Fev, is that one F*ck up and its all over the meida once again about how bad the saints are! and the mdeia circius would continue!. not sure the saints corporates would be able to handle another off season filled drama club!

Yes, there's got to be someone else out there, surely. It just seems a bit lazy to just bring up Fevola's name again and again.

I'm still a firm believer that Fevola's pros far outweigh his cons. To make it simple, just look at the extremes.
  • Best case scenario, he could lead us to the flag next year, and maybe even the year after. It's not all too unlikely. Age isn't an issue either, with our core group of players only 2-3 years younger than him.
  • Worst case scenario is that he screws up again. We kick him out straight away, costs us nothing and we can continue our season as usual. A bonus factor is that the club would be expecting it in a way, with some sort of contigency plan for our Full Forward position should Fevola be kicked.
Would you risk a relatively minor off field issue (which we are practically immune to by now) for a much better chance at the flag?

I know what I would do.

I'm still a firm believer that Fevola's pros far outweigh his cons. To make it simple, just look at the extremes.
  • Best case scenario, he could lead us to the flag next year, and maybe even the year after. It's not all too unlikely. Age isn't an issue either, with our core group of players only 2-3 years younger than him.
  • Worst case scenario is that he screws up again. We kick him out straight away, costs us nothing and we can continue our season as usual. A bonus factor is that the club would be expecting it in a way, with some sort of contigency plan for our Full Forward position should Fevola be kicked.
Would you risk a relatively minor off field issue (which we are practically immune to by now) for a much better chance at the flag?

I know what I would do.

Well, what I would do is consult the player leadership group. See how they feel about it. If they want him, then possibly. If not, then no way. I mean, what was in the minds of the club when they recruted Lovett. There's no way he was going to fit in given Nick's altercation with him on the field. It boggled my mind then, it boggles my mind still.

By the way, I don't think we are as immune to off field altercations as you think. As minor and trivial as it may seem to you and me, you can guarantee that the media will blow it out of all proportion - the proverbial mountain out of a mole hill.

I know what I would do.

To say it costs nothing is a bit naive I think. Sponsors would baulk at the mention of him, and this is a time when we need their dollars more than ever.

To say it costs nothing is a bit naive I think. Sponsors would baulk at the mention of him, and this is a time when we need their dollars more than ever.

Opens new doors. ( Jeld Wen of course ).
that mob that do the "day rehab " ( cant remember their name , they need to raise their profile ).
Ritalin marketing. ( A.D.D drug for those who haven't had the pleasure - highly reccomended you will never look back and your pre-teen will have a chance of getting to puberty without being strangled by parents ).
"Claytons" could make a comeback to the market.
Government anti drinking campaigns.

The silver lining is the large amount of coin you're going to save, not just on appointing a new coach on less $$$.

You saved yourselves a hefty severance payout as well because you would have sacked Ross Lyon by about round 12 next year anyway.

The silver lining is the large amount of coin you're going to save, not just on appointing a new coach on less $$$.

You saved yourselves a hefty severance payout as well because you would have sacked Ross Lyon by about round 12 next year anyway.

Yeah, that's a good way of looking at things. Thanks.

The fallout is continuing at St Kilda following the Lyon departure – but it's not all bad. Think back to the early part of the year when Jack Steven and Zac Dawson landed in trouble for breaking a curfew during the New Zealand training camp. Both were disciplined by the club and it seems that Steven's parents weren't happy with the club, and more specifically Lyon, over their son's treatment and recommended that he look elsewhere once his contract expired at the end of the season. Apparently Collingwood was sniffing around and a couple of other clubs also showed interest in the emerging midfielder. But lo and behold, Lyon leaves the club and five days later we are told that Steven has signed a new contract. At least that is one positive to emerge for the Saints from the Lyon saga. While the Steven clan may have forgiven and forgotten, Steven Baker hasn't. The 200-gamer and former best-and-fairest winner (oddly enough he shared it with Ball) was "retired" by Lyon after St Kilda's elimination final loss to Sydney. Even though the man who announced it on his behalf has gone, Baker is still steaming and won't be attending the Saints' best-and-fairest night. That's a sad exit for a man who has given everything for the club as a real trench fighter.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/crackers.html

I know Ross has brunt a few bridges in his time and the timing if the re-signings intrigued me, but I really hope this is usual Crackers shit. Especially about Bakes.

Rest of the article though. Drawn GF hero my ass. Wow he runs faster, big deal. Im still seeing the same player with the same issues, just hidden better amongst the C'wood midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bakes story better be bullshit. He's been too good of a player for us to be left with a bitter taste in the mouth over something like this.

Besides, his posting on Twitter seems to be continuing as normal, so he doesn't seem too angry. Then again, he hasn't posted about the Saints.

Silver lining suits me.

Long break for guys like Roo and BJ to really recover, two grand final campaigns and short breaks would of taken it's toll surely.

Armo into the midfield please.

Walsh to debut.

Let's take a Geelong like approach to rotating our senior guys in 2012, keeping them fresh, and also keeping kids hungry when they get a crack.

Geelong has shown us that it is the players, not the coach, that wins premierships. We essentially still have the players that gave us our record-breaking 19 wins, that took us to the GF in consecutive years, that matched it or bettered the best that the competition could throw at us for several seasons.

The silver lining is that all we really need is our belief back.

Geelong has shown us that it is the players, not the coach, that wins premierships. We essentially still have the players that gave us our record-breaking 19 wins, that took us to the GF in consecutive years, that matched it or bettered the best that the competition could throw at us for several seasons.

The silver lining is that all we really need is our belief back.

it would have been nice if Lyon had kept some of the new players in the team rather then going back to the same old same old, unlike geelong, or collingwood. and also resting some players eg rewoldt, unlike geelong and collingwood!

Fear of the unknown. But what is past is past.

I honestly think at $11 for the flag next year we are too short. But I excited about what it too come.

Can we win a flag without a youthful contribution to the level of Menzel, Christiansen & Duncan like the Cats this year?

Do we need a better performance from our bottom six ... better than Maxwell, Blair, Fasolo, Toovey, Didak & Wellingham could muster on Saturday?

Or are the Hawks and Eagles about to power by us (and the Grand Finalists)?

Hawks are interesting as they still do not have a solid backline, and probably over achieved this year with what they had. Amazing effort when they were one kick from a GF. West coast seem to be a better balanced team. We showed that we can match them though, at least this year anyway. Next year ???

Fear of the unknown. But what is past is past.

I honestly think at $11 for the flag next year we are too short. But I excited about what it too come.

Can we win a flag without a youthful contribution to the level of Menzel, Christiansen & Duncan like the Cats this year?

I honestly think we can get that sort of contribution from our young players next year. The cats players were exceptional this year, but I see no reason why we shouldn't be heading into the preseason with similar output expectations from guys like Cripps, Ledger, Winmar, Siposs etc, and whoever we draft this year. Few of those guys showed signs of being very handy players this year, with another preseason under the belt they should be starting to show that weekly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Silver Lining

Remove this Banner Ad

Back