Simon Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Decision making for sure. Just seemed unsure of himself. Fair enough too, first game up, different gameplan from seniors to VFL, a bit slow to decide what to do with the ball.

It might have been fair enough if we hadn't seen the exact same thing from him at Melbourne, then in the couple of praccy matches he had last year, and then during a good chunk of his VFL games (where perhaps his mindless hoofing doesn't stand out quite as much).

He may have been a serviceable player in 1995 as he's quick and he can boot it long and indiscriminately, but in 2010 a player of his type really hurts the team. As FIGJAM said above, he really doesn't have any redeeming attribute to justify carrying his turnovers.

He put in a decent performance, some of his disposal was iffy, but who cares, it's the NAB Cup. hopefully this will be weeded out over the next few games

It might have been fair enough if we hadn't seen the exact same thing from him at Melbourne.

I dont give a rats about what players did at previous clubs, especially shit clubs with horrible coaches. If MM and the recruiting staff had attitudes like that we'd never have touched Leigh Brown or Andrew Krakouer or Paul Medhurst. They might have thought twice about Ball. Good recruiters see the positives players can bring to a club and then work with them on their negatives.

I hold out hope that Buckley can make the grade. He'll have to work his guts out though because along with Leon Davis his name is near the top of the list for delistment.

I dont give a rats about what players did at previous clubs, especially shit clubs with horrible coaches. If MM and the recruiting staff had attitudes like that we'd never have touched Leigh Brown or Andrew Krakouer or Paul Medhurst. They might have thought twice about Ball. Good recruiters see the positives players can bring to a club and then work with them on their negatives.

Leigh Brown and Paul Medhurst both came in with a proven ability to play high level AFL football, their main problem was that they were playing overweight and as a result inconsistently. Both were abundantly talented, as any Freo or North supporter would attest. Krakeour I haven't seen enough of, but all the WAFL watchers run out of superlatives when describing him.

Buckley, otoh, has never displayed anything that would suggest he could play at a high level. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but he's a lot more Matthew Lokan than Leigh Brown.

The difference between Buckley and guys like Brown and Medhurst is that with those two we were able to eradicate some of their bad attributes whereas Buckley on the other hand looks as though he is exactly the same footballer he was before he joined.

Fair enough. My final point - Buckley was only a youngster at Melbourne, a team that was at the time tanking for draft picks.

We'll know more about his progress (or lack of) as the season rolls on.

Or Corrie / Cook like from last year.

I'd wager Buckley is closer to Corrie than Tooves. Tooves at least has a strength, which is extremely good pace, resulting in a human blanket effect. We can put up with his OOF's and turnovers if he's stopping goal scorers from doing their job.

Buckley has no redeeming features. Just genuinely uncomfortable when he has the ball in his hands and he plays very loose at the best of times.
Oh well we need a new whipping boy now that Tooves and Leroy are premiership players and some of the deadwood has been cleared out.

But he is not completely without redeeming features, speed is more than handy and his attacking side is quite good, would have been a nice goal if he hadn't hit the post.

Average the other night but it was a pre season game ffs, I reckon the guy can play good footy and sudden improvement in players at Collingwood is a regular occurance.

We lose a running defender and in my opinion he could be next in line, also agree with BEEG about the club punishing him for his indiscretion, i have heard the same thing.

Fair enough. My final point - Buckley was only a youngster at Melbourne, a team that was at the time tanking for draft picks.

We'll know more about his progress (or lack of) as the season rolls on.
we won 12 OUT OF 66 games, thats not tanking, we were shit,pendles and thomas say hello, and pendles has been offered massive coin, i work with his mum, shes on 45GRAND a yr.

The difference between Buckley and guys like Brown and Medhurst is that with those two we were able to eradicate some of their bad attributes whereas Buckley on the other hand looks as though he is exactly the same footballer he was before he joined.

The difference is actually about 6 years.

For all those muppets out there that dont actually play footy, or u might play but are seriously hopeless, whilst his disposal wasnt amazing, its the first real game of the season. Not everyones kicking is going to be spot on, thats what NAB cup and practice matches are for, ONE: getting urself match fit, and TWO: getting ur skill right in a high pressured games. They might be AFL players, but they are human!! Even pendlebury missed targets, but I dont see you guys bag him. (I mean why woukd we bag pendlebury, he is a star)
The huge positive for Buckley was that he found the football, he had more tocuhes than alot of other key players in our side, and I for one applaud his efforts.

Is he in our best 22? No he isnt.
Is he capable of pushing into the side? Absolutely. He has the fitness, I believe he could be a good tagger as he does have a good engine. He always did as a junior!

BUT.....I do undersand people have an opinion, and I respect that. BUt to come out and call him a 'DUD'....seriously guys, pull ur heads in!!! Show some respect!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh well i also thought he played alright... Missed a few targets but got plenty of it. I'm surprised at how harshly he is being judged actually. Oh well, i don't like to bash anyone on our list... Even if i didn't think he was much chop he wears black and white so he's "one of us", therefore I don't feel the need to bag him out over a pre season game.

Luckily i remember what Big Footy is like and know that early last season there was a fair bit of Leeroy Brown bashing going on and even a little Travis Cloke Bashing so I can sleep easy knowing the team is in Mick's hands...

we won 12 OUT OF 66 games, thats not tanking, we were shit,pendles and thomas say hello, and pendles has been offered massive coin, i work with his mum, shes on 45GRAND a yr.
To be fair if he wrote "they were shit" another Dee's poster would on in a shot with "but we were Tanking".

I commented after the game that I thought he was decent, not great, but decent. Others seem hell bent on making him the new Tooves. Go and have a look about the comments about Tooves just 18 months ago.

Tooves got developed into a decent footballer (he's still only just that). This Buckley guy finds the footy. He just needs to improve his decision making. I think people are being way too harsh.

Well he'll be out of contract at the end of the year, maybe GWS can take him as their uncontracted Collingwood player... ;)

Fantastic idea, people are talking about corrie'ing him, but we really need to Prismal him

Awesome complete player that just can't crack the seniors because we are just that good

I honestly can't see what the fuss is. I've watched both games, twice and he certainly was not either hopeless nor very good.
His first hit-out for the season and making your mind up based on one NAB Cup hitout for Buckley seems as silly as for Krakouer or Fasolo et al.

Too early.

See how all these blokes scrub up after a couple of full length games against one side for the full 120 minutes.

Seconded.

Too early to tell. He looks fantastic going to meet the ball / with ball in hand. Good size and great mover. The real worrying thing is that the problems people are identifying (his poor decisions and disposal) are not unique to that game, they are the same problems he had at Melbourne.

He has enough to work with athletically too be a servicable role player he certainly isn't so bad you need to cut him right now just to be sure his shitness doesn't spread to the rest of the team.

I'm not overly concerned at this stage about his apparent poor disposal. That's fairly common to younger players until they get a bit of confidence. What seems to be lacking from my perspective is awareness and decision making ability. Yes those things too tend to improve but I reckon he'd be wanting to show that a bit more and pretty soon if he wants to stay at Collingwood. No I'm not canning him yet, just stating the bleeding obvious. He's been with us now for long enough that he needs to be starting to make better decisions when he's given opportunities or they'll start drying up pretty fast.

This will be his last year, a good VFL player but thats it. His only identifiable strengths to me are that he can kick the ball a long way, other than that he is decidely average in every way.

The position he would be looking at is a half back flanker. I just don't think he reads the play well enough to do this, he can probably break the lines, run & carry OK, but he is nowhere near replacing anyone on that half back line.

If there is some injuries he may get a chance & hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Too early to tell. He looks fantastic going to meet the ball / with ball in hand. Good size and great mover. The real worrying thing is that the problems people are identifying (his poor decisions and disposal) are not unique to that game, they are the same problems he had at Melbourne.

He has enough to work with athletically too be a servicable role player he certainly isn't so bad you need to cut him right now just to be sure his shitness doesn't spread to the rest of the team.
This is spot on.

I was at the game & I saw in Buckley what I saw in the VFL games I attended last year. He gets enough of the ball & moves nicely, but tends to bomb it indiscriminantly and/or turn it over at the end of his runs, much like Jaxson Barham in that respect. Given that was an identified weakness in his game last year, unless he improves substantially this year, I can't see him being on our list in 2012. He may well play a few games in the seniors this year, but there's not much point getting a lot of the ball if you turn it over much of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back