News Skilled Group relinquishes Kardinia Park naming rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: So, what's the 'big news'?

Well according to the answer to the BigFootyCats account query on twitter, this is the "big news".

Ouch.
The weirdest part of it all is that it's actually potentially bad news (at least until we find a replacement), not something you'd want to tease out and build anticipation for.

Rather puzzling way of approaching it from Diggerson (i assume he controls the club's twitter) and the club.

Ouch.
The weirdest part of it all is that it's actually potentially bad news (at least until we find a replacement), not something you'd want to tease out and build anticipation for.

Rather puzzling way of approaching it from Diggerson (i assume he controls the club's twitter) and the club.
Yeah. And I don't like changing the name as it is. Certainly not great news.

Ouch.

I agree, strange!

If the announcement had been "Naming rights have been sold to Company XYZ for 50 million dollars over 5 years", THAT would have been good news.

Stating that one of our main sponsers is withdrawing money is not good!

Ouch.

Cant see it as bad news. We are an attractive brand at the moment. I would think there would be a fair few suitors wanting their name associated. Highest bidder wins.

Cant see it as bad news. We are an attractive brand at the moment. I would think there would be a fair few suitors wanting their name associated. Highest bidder wins.

I agree hbk.
The club should get a premium price now due to strong performances on and off the field. The brand may not be quite as attractive once we drop into more of a rebuilding phase in the coming years and the results are less "sparkling".

-g

Yeah. And I don't like changing the name as it is. Certainly not great news.

Yep! Not ideal. It would be nice to have a cosy sponsor like Visy to step-up to the plate.;)

You'd think any prospective long term ground sponsor would want the proposed re-development of the KP (stuff 'em I'm not calling it SS from now) to be firmly bedded down and know where the stadium fits into to the Armstrong Creek plans before they committed the sums the club would be seeking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets just hope that in the corporate juggernaut that has become our sporting world that smarter heads prevail and that we can at least have something along the lines of

" Company X field at Kardinia Park..."

The Denver Broncos did a similar thing after the old Mile High stadium was torn down and went with Invesco Field @ Mile High....

Everyone wins....

And lets face it, everyone calls it KP anyway....

and if you were ever to want to attract sponsors, sitting atop the ladder with an unparalled 4 years behind us and the potential more continued success in the future, prospective bidders should be easier to find than say.., Port Adelaide....:D

Go Catters

I can't believe that's the big news. Who cares about the naming rights, it will always be Kardinia Park.

It's what they pay for the rights (which is considerable) and what it does to our bottom line.

xcuse me, my name is spelt with a double L thank you.
Oops!

On a serious note, with all the dosh the oil companies are presently raking in, it wouldn't hurt Shell to return (think they once were) to being a major sponsor of our club.

It that case, it's probably worth describing it as 'big news', when the ink is on the contract. It might not be bad news, but I can't see it as particularly 'good news' that the club is just looking for a company to purchase the naming rights. What a joke...

But I think that was the media pumping it up, wasn't it? The report on the club website is more balanced.

The club took to Twitter yesterday trumpeting 'big news' today, and asking followers what they thought it could be.

The club chose the term 'big news', and chose to build up expectations by teasing it out a day early.

If they had another, more lucrative sponsor secured i could understand their approach, but all this to tell us we're now without a naming rights sponsor? Bizarre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back