North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Here's the problem;-

Start PC
XP screen starts
User screen comes up, select myself.
Desktop & icons come up.

Then the hour glass comes up and it takes about 5 minutes for it to cease and for me to take control of the PC.

I have Norton updates, run Adaware, Spyware and been to numerous sites from MS XP support etctec and still this delay occurs.

It seems like a program that I deleted (Spyguard) is trying to run.

Any ideas (besides reinstalling XP)?

Gaso

NAV is ... well pretty crap, even though I have it installed, I hate it (I paid for it, so might as well use it). NAV definitely slows down your login. So if you have a slow computer its going to be worse. 5 mins is a long time, what type of computer do you have? Do you have a large list of task to load up? (start -> run -> msconfig -> startup; Startup folder in Programs, their are others)

Gasometer said:
Here's the problem;-

Start PC
XP screen starts
User screen comes up, select myself.
Desktop & icons come up.

Then the hour glass comes up and it takes about 5 minutes for it to cease and for me to take control of the PC.

I have Norton updates, run Adaware, Spyware and been to numerous sites from MS XP support etctec and still this delay occurs.

It seems like a program that I deleted (Spyguard) is trying to run.

Any ideas (besides reinstalling XP)?

Gaso

Is this since the new SP pack 2?

I tweaked a few things in custom mode...and had a similar problem..I went back and restored to Microsoft settings and seems to have worked.

Unless someone knows different

System pack 2 collides/clashes with all antivirus programs and stuff causing ur com to slow down and also u may need to do a defragmentation of ur disk or if u hav sumthin like kazaa with lots of adware & spyware itll take ages. i got rid of kazaa and it sped up to wot it used to be wen i first bought it

ok, delete all temp files, defragment, that should tell you how much memory you have available. Once it gets below 50% most computers begin running susbstantially slower.

If it is, go through your computer and delte/uninstall any files or programs that you dont use or need anymore. If you have a lot of music/video files, copy them to cd's and delete them from your computer.

I wouldnt stick with NAV myself either. I have AVG at present and its doing just fine. Run Spybot and make sure you run adawre with the settings modified to scan deep.

Also do this and see if it not only helps speed your pc up, but also rid it of any unwanted bugs.

1. Visit Windows Update:
Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for your operating system and IE. The first defense against infection is a properly patched OS.
a. Windows Update: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

2. Adjust your security settings for ActiveX:
Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet, press 'default level', then OK.
Now press "Custom Level."
In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to 'prompt', and 'Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" to 'disable'.

3. Keep your antivirus software and firewall software up to date.

With AdAware - PLEASE CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS AND PROCESS AS FOLLOWS:

1. Download and Install AdAware 6, keeping the default options. However you will need to change some of the settings before your first scan.
2. Go to Start > Programs > Lavasoft and click on AdAware 6 to open the program
3. Look at the icons on the top right of the page and click on the ‘world’ and let AdAware update the spyware reference list
4. Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window
5. In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected:
Automatically save log-file
Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
6. Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select :
Scan Within Archives
Scan Active Processes
Scan Registry
Deep Scan Registry
Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
Scan my Hosts file
Under ‘Click here to select drives + folders’, choose:
All of your hard drives
7. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select:
Include additional process information
Include additional file information
Include environment information
Include additional object details
8. Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select:
Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
Unload recognized processes during scanning
Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
9. Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.
10. Click ‘Start’ and on the next screen choose ‘Activate in-depth Scan’ at the bottom of the page and then choose: Use Custom Scanning Options
11. Click ‘Next’ and AdAware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected (steps 4 through 8 ).
12. If it finds "bad" files and registry keys, press "Next" again.
13. Right-click in that pane and choose "select all" to "tick" all the bad items found.
14. Press "next".
15. When asked to remove all checked items, Press "OK".
16. You may now exit out of Ad-Aware.
17. Reboot

AFTER you've done all these things, please download this program:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155

This will give you an idea of what is going on with your pc. After you've freshly ran Adaware, your antivirus, and Spyware S/D, please REBOOT and then run this "Hijack This" program and post the log at this site:

http://hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english

You can post it by copying and pasting your log or by simply uploading your saved log to the site. It will list all the dangerous files and processes on your pc. Fix the items that are dangers and if you have questions on suggested items, ask for help.

You should first try defragging your hard drive.
It is unlikely spyware is causing a slow boot process, unless you have hundreds of processes starting up on startup.
Defrag to start off with, and also get ad-aware from lavasoft, and spybot search & destroy.

Re-installing windows come help sometimes also.

Billy Hunt said:
Go to: Start / Run and type in Msconfig
Under the startup tab, see how many programs are running.
The only one you need is your anti-virus.

Are you serious? There are a lot of critical system processes in there that need to start, including many for networking.

As billy hunt said, go to msconfig, then servies..
I know there may be heaps, but list all the services in there and let us know what they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PAFC2004 said:
Are you serious? There are a lot of critical system processes in there that need to start, including many for networking.

As billy hunt said, go to msconfig, then servies..
I know there may be heaps, but list all the services in there and let us know what they are.
Not in the startup tab. They are non os critical apps (at least most at worst). Services tab on the other hand, is a bit different.

i dont like to mess with msconfig. I think its easier to go through services.msc and you can stop individual processes from there and see what effect it has. Then if you know you dont need it, select start manually instead of automatically.

I had 18 programs in there including: messenger. bearshare, kodak easyshare, nero.........the list goes on.
They all want to load to the task bar and all want to conect to the internet, all at the same time and it gave me the screaming sh*ts.

My puter loads up in 30 seconds now ;)

Trust me!

Billy Hunt said:
I had 18 programs in there including: messenger. bearshare, kodak easyshare, nero.........the list goes on.
They all want to load to the task bar and all want to conect to the internet, all at the same time and it gave me the screaming sh*ts.

My puter loads up in 30 seconds now ;)

Trust me!

Koday easyshare and a whole of lot of drivers are annoying because they all want to search for the latest update (including Windows) - which is fine if it does it once a month, but the prick programs do it every time you load up, which only serves to slow your computer down to snail-pace. Either reconfigure them so that they do not automatically search for updates or delete them from your start-up menu (or directory). This should help initially. Then do the predicatable stuff like run defrag and disk cleanup to free up hard disk and system memory.

Press Alt+tab+delete and select the processes tab to see what is absorbing system memory and work out if you need it or not. If not, can it or modify it.

Norton Anti-Virus does a good job or slowing things down but its a devil I live with.

I haven't tried running msconfig but it seems a good option too.

F#$#^&^ Microsoft!

Thanks all.

I have done a print out of my start up programs and there are a few I dont need on review.

I also remembered turning on the MS firewall a few weeks back in the 'Security Centre'. I have turned that off now and am about to restart to see if that has any effect.

What a ridiculous issue this is.

Gaso

Playing with msconfig is not that bad if you know what you are doing.
And saying that the only thing you need in there is the anti virus is stupid.

PAFC2004 said:
Playing with msconfig is not that bad if you know what you are doing.
Unticking boxes in MSCONFIG -> Startup is very safe, you are not going to do system wide damage, the other tabs sure, I would say be careful, and make sure you know what your doing.

And saying that the only thing you need in there is the anti virus is stupid.
He is referring to MSCONFIG -> Startup

You are not going to do anything dangerous their. I have unticked a number of boxes in their that I did not want running by default, nothing happen, I can even untick all and I have no doubt it will boot up normally, actually I will do it in a sec.

--
did it, no problems, os re-ticked two boxes, everything was fine.

it wont do any damage but half the time you wouldnt know what you are turning off. Through the services window you at least know what all of the processes are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Slow boot with XP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back