Glitch

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
One of the biggest weaknesses IMHO is small defender.

The normal list of small defenders dont cut it
- King - just to short to be able to spoil
- Newman - short arms and often out of position due to his attacking style.
- Raines - decent in the air - may improve - looked to have stopped being caught from behind before injury set in. Jury out.

So.....

I was thinking that one player who may be able to play small is Daniel Jackson. He has the fitness, the quickness and the overhaed strength to be a huge assett deep in the back line. But does he have the agility? Does he have the right mindset? Would he give away to many free kicks?

If he does have the ability, gees he would put the fear of god into some of the smaller players and be a real assett to the defensive group as he could more easily cover some of the bigger players if say thursfield has run off and the ball rebounds quickly.

He is going to struggle for a game with our midfield depth, so maybe its worth a shot?

I also like tambling down there. Quick, agile, accountable and reasonable overhead. Has become a man and quite gutsy as well. Bling it on.

Is Andy Collins being groomed for the role? Is he up to it?

I think McGuanne could play small as well very effectively if we brought in Rance.

What other options do we have?

as the original post suggested, we have forever had a problem with small forwards tearing us new ones, tried many options and failed, and I am tipping the problem was dealt with at the draft. ;)
hislop,tambling,raines and newman rotating from the backline into the midfield would be pretty good. aslong as they have presure from the players in coburg. its going to be a pretty good year

Polo: At the top of my list. Would be ideal imo. I remember he completely shut down Shannon Grant for a whole half. Not that it made a difference to the game, but it showed he is accountable and still able to get the ball himself.

Raines: Would be one of the ready-made options as such. I don't like how everyone's fell off the Rainesy bandwagon.

Newman: Obvious choice, although I'd rather him play the Joel Bowden role more.

Hislop: Could be an option. Although not so long Wallace said he might be tried as a forward pocket, so watch that space.

King: Not so sure about his accountability.

White: Could be an option?

Tambling: HAS to play the whole year off half-back.

There's probably a few more, but we do have the options it's just about finding the IDEAL back six and keeping it settled.

i never thought about jackson going in defence. may pay off. but lets see if our current crop of backmen do the job.
I'd get a little nervous with Jacko in defense. Too slow when making a decision, wouldn't suit our run out of defense.

Jacko started as a backman, playing his first few games at full back. I fully expected him to be our next key defender for a while, but he stopped growing at 188cm and is now much better suited to the midfield.

Polo: At the top of my list. Would be ideal imo. I remember he completely shut down Shannon Grant for a whole half. Not that it made a difference to the game, but it showed he is accountable and still able to get the ball himself.

when you have that type of player you use him where you really hurt the opposition. On one of their prime movers in the guts. You shut him down and you hurt them the other way too. That is how you tag when you are a top unit. We cant just have a negative player taking someone out of the game, while taking himself out of the game. Because when you sacrifice a player to a oure tagging job, you open yourself up to playing with 17 on the field and if the tag ****s up, then its part the cheeks time, because you end up with a player running around chasing shadows while his opponent is partying with his teamates because there are loose men all over the field, playing against 17.
e.g Hyde on Goodes.....Goodes was partying, Hyde running up and down on the one spot chasing around the field, and doing JS else. That move was one of your greatest TW. How much do they pay you for your expertise? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raines: Would be one of the ready-made options as such. I don't like how everyone's fell off the Rainesy bandwagon.

Newman: Obvious choice, although I'd rather him play the Joel Bowden role more.

Hislop: Could be an option. Although not so long Wallace said he might be tried as a forward pocket, so watch that space.

King: Not so sure about his accountability.

White: Could be an option?

Tambling: HAS to play the whole year off half-back.

There's probably a few more, but we do have the options it's just about finding the IDEAL back six and keeping it settled.

Oh cotch, dear oh dear.

Polo first choice??

The main reason he hasn't been a regular is his lack of pace. He would get eaten alive by the small forwards.

Interesting you bring up his game on Grant...perhaps the only man in the league slower than Polo!!

Oh cotch, dear oh dear.

Polo first choice??

The main reason he hasn't been a regular is his lack of pace. He would get eaten alive by the small forwards.

Interesting you bring up his game on Grant...perhaps the only man in the league slower than Polo!!
Not those small forwards. I'm talking the O'Keefes, Williams, Johnson, Didak, Medhurst........those types of guys.

We've always struggled to keep those guys at bay. Polo has the height and he knows a thing or two about accountability.

They're not excactly fast either.

Not those small forwards. I'm talking the O'Keefes, Williams, Johnson, Didak, Medhurst........those types of guys.

We've always struggled to keep those guys at bay. Polo has the height and he knows a thing or two about accountability.

They're not excactly fast either.

Well, then you are talking about medium forwards.

the name of the thread is small defender options, so I assuem they would play on small forwards

Well, then you are talking about medium forwards.

the name of the thread is small defender options, so I assuem they would play on small forwards
I wouldn't call those players medium forwards but that's getting technical. Fact is we need to cover those areas and I think Polo can.

Hislop, as said in the op there's too much competition for spots in the midfield, he might be better suited down back?

I liked Rainseys dash out of defence before he did his knee, hard at the pill, and spoils well.

there the 2 best for me

i think we are fine, tambling to play on the HFF's, newman to take the small forward and moore can also play on anyone between small forward and KPP... actually he can do both :thumbsu:

Raines, king and mcmahon just lack to much on the defensive traits and also often very sloppy with their disposal.

if i was to liken it to hawthorn our defence should set up like

Hodge - Bowden ( spare man cutting off leads and distributing)
Birchall - Tambling ( rebounding half back)
Guerra - Newman (lock down on small forward)

Raines, king and mcmahon just lack to much on the defensive traits and also often very sloppy with their disposal.
if these guys want a game this year they will have to work on there disposal under presure. also i would not have McMahon in there he is often a good kick. and will not get droped unless hislop,raines and polo put presure on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Small Defender Options

Remove this Banner Ad

Back