Smart Footballers - "Good Football Brain"

Remove this Banner Ad

What's with all the "smart" footballer crap?

Lions want 'smart' Brown

Matthews rejected suggestions that Brown needed anger management counselling and instead called on him to play smarter. "He's a smart, intelligent young man and he realises he's got himself in the wrong place at the wrong time a bit too often recently," the coach said.

Carey to smarten Blues up

"Lance is a pretty smart player, he's got a pretty good football brain. If Wayne Carey could give him his expertise as well, it would make him a hell of a lot sharper and smarter, if that's possible," Pagan said yesterday.

My question is, what defines a smart footballer, or a "good football brain"?

IMO, a smart footballer is a Voss, Buckley, Harvey or Hird. Compare how these players prepare, train and support team-mates, to the so called good football brains in the Fatboy and the Thug. How on earth you could describe a player not smart enough to know you can't play AFL shaped like Homer Simpson or spending half a season on the bench is beyond me.

Quick thinking must help. Watch any footage of Simon Black and see what I mean. He has this uncanny knack for getting the ball to an onpassing Lions player somehow.

From memory, other types include: Greg "Diesel" Williams, Garry "The Flea" Wilson, as the best I've ever seen.

There are players who seem to be able to read the play and do the right thing where the average mortal could not. Like those supercomputers the Bureau of Meterology uses that when told of a band of low pressure over Lithgow predict hail in Perth.
I've seen Lance Whitnall run away from a contest, have a ball spill loose, and pick it up uncontested to run into goal. I've seen Byron Pickett and Darren Jarman do similar stuff. That to me is what a 'football brain' is. Of course without the fitness and follow up skills to go with it it isn't much use

Powerstufff said:
That to me is what a 'football brain' is. Of course without the fitness and follow up skills to go with it it isn't much use
I guess that's my point. Plenty of very talented footballers over the years have shown they can appear "smart" on the field but pretty stupid at other times. And I'm not talking off field indiscretions either.

Someone like Brown or Whitnall aren't smart footballers IMO. Both appear to have plenty of natural ability, and in Whitnall's case, being able to read the play is probably his biggest asset. But this is labelled as being smart. When I look at someone like Hird, who has all the on field attributes, but also has the smarts to prepare and carry himself well, then Whitnall doesn't strike me as too smart. Ditto for Brown.

To my mind, a smart player thinks quick, and knows what to do.

Some fellas are as quick as lightning and can change their mind in a split second. Milne is a fast thinker, he doesn't always decide to do the right thing, but whatever he does is fast.

Richie Cole is a fella who sometimes gets lost in all the possibilities of the moment. He knows his footy, his decision making is good, but he can be caught because he hangs onto it while he works out what to do next.

Brodie Holland is not what you'd call a smart fella in life, but on a footy field he thinks quickly, and usually makes good choices. He's learned the defensive game after starting as a goalsneak (notoriously dumb players), so I'd say he's becoming a smart player.

Bucks Voss and Hird all think quick and make good decisions, but Hird is clearly the best footy brain among them.

Buckley has worked hard on every aspect of his game and thinks very fast now, giving him a wide range of options (he used to bomb long as his first option). He's not a natural but a proffesional.

Voss' brain works fast and well even when he's getting kicked in the head and stepped on as he tunnels the ball out of the pack. Its a fair talent, and he's almost up there with Greg Williams for thinking fast and well under extreme pressure.

However Hird doesn't seem to go through a decision making process-he's almost lining up the kick or handnball before he takes possesion. Usually thats a recipe for disaster (cue photo of Rhys Shaw), but when you combine Hirds great hands with his great knowledge and instinct, you have a very effective player.

I say instinct because it seems like some natural talent he has rather than something learned that costs him an effort. No doubt Hird has worked hard on his game but he makes it look easy.

Tony Shaw was a very smart player. He was slow and short, but he shut blokes down like a bastard. His skills were adequate (and his kicking ridiculously short) but they just didn't crack under pressure. He was the same whether he was 10 yards clear or in the grasp of 5 blokes.

He had that knack of picking the right tactic-he'd tap it on, kick to a lead, handball off just at the right moment. It drove the opposition crazy because he "played ugly" but what he did turned to gold. He was also clever at sledging, he even riled Sheeds one day, to our everlasting delight. He was a smart captain, a very effective leader on the field.

Kernahan was a great leader too, he knew how to inspire his players. You'd see him cheering them on, directing play, and making an inspiring move to get his guys going. He could play key forward, fill in the ruck too, knew when to go hard and had great skills (although his kicking died in the arse eventually). I felt he knew the game inside out, and played very smart footy.

I always felt the Danihar boys had great footy brains-they'd generally do (or try to do) the right thing in any situation. Even TD's notorious hits on Gavin Brown and Starcevitch sort of made sense. The Bombers were going down big time, and he had to do something to turn the game. When all else failed he dropped a couple of blokes. If it won them the game ,he'd be a genius. I suppose you could say at least he tried everything.

Jack Cahill always said that a good coach only gives a footballer one job to do on game day, because that's all most footballers can handle. Obviously there will be exceptions.....

JeffDunne said:

Lions want 'smart' Brown

Matthews rejected suggestions that Brown needed anger management counselling and instead called on him to play smarter. "He's a smart, intelligent young man and he realises he's got himself in the wrong place at the wrong time a bit too often recently," the coach said.

"Lance is a pretty smart player, he's got a pretty good football brain. If Wayne Carey could give him his expertise as well, it would make him a hell of a lot sharper and smarter, if that's possible," Pagan said yesterday.

IMO, a smart footballer is a Voss, Buckley, Harvey or Hird. Compare how these players prepare, train and support team-mates, to the so called good football brains in the Fatboy and the Thug. How on earth you could describe a player not smart enough to know you can't play AFL shaped like Homer Simpson or spending half a season on the bench is beyond me.
Agree completely. When Lance was dominating games regardless of his size, his football brain was to the fore. When he put on a few more pounds, found it hard to get the ball and his opponents were running rings around him, his football brain wasnt smart enough to realise that he needed to work hard because it doesn't come naturally. His brain has only been rebooted (seemingly) under threat of being traded. He is back to square one and needs to prove himself all over again.

JeffDunne said:
Someone like Brown or Whitnall aren't smart footballers IMO. Both appear to have plenty of natural ability, and in Whitnall's case, being able to read the play is probably his biggest asset. But this is labelled as being smart .
You just answered your own question. Is he the smartest going around? Probably not but that doesnt take away the fact that due to his lack of pace he's had to adapt his game in other areas eg. reading the play, running of packs, floating around the ground losing his opponent and creating space etc. Most experts attribute these qualities in a players as a 'smart footballer' and I tend to agree with them.

Hornet said:
You just answered your own question. Is he the smartest going around? Probably not but that doesnt take away the fact that due to his lack of pace he's had to adapt his game in other areas eg. reading the play, running of packs, floating around the ground losing his opponent and creating space etc. Most experts attribute these qualities in a players as a 'smart footballer' and I tend to agree with them.
I agree with that side of it Hornet but I think the point here is that while Whitnall seemingly has many onfield smart qualities, he can't be considered a smart footballer if he has little understanding of the planning and preparation it takes to be a footballer. He has now realised it after 3 years in the wilderness.

By virtue of almost ending his own career due to his fitness problems and the resultant attitude issues (IMO), Lance held himself up as the dumbest smart footballer around. The fact that he has now realised what it takes after getting a big scare during trade week just reinforces how silly he had been prior to that.

Hornet said:
But is it smart? IMO it's merely the ability to read the play.

Other Carlton supporters I know, one in particular, almost puts his foot through the screen everytime Lance is called a 'smart' footballer. Simply because he makes so many errors these days. I'm in no doubt he can read the play well, but his reactions, or lack of at times, means he can overcook a situation. I'll try and find some examples of what I'm talking about. I just think overall to label him as a smart player is stretching the use of the word. But I didn't want to talk about him specifically, more generally what makes a smart footballer and who people consider smart.

JeffDunne said:
But is it smart? IMO it's merely the ability to read the play.

Other Carlton supporters I know, one in particular, almost puts his foot through the screen everytime Lance is called a 'smart' footballer. Simply because he makes so many errors these days. I'm in no doubt he can read the play well, but his reactions, or lack of at times, means he can overcook a situation. I'll try and find some examples of what I'm talking about. I just think overall to label him as a smart player is stretching the use of the word. But I didn't want to talk about him specifically, more generally what makes a smart footballer and who people consider smart.
No need to find examples, they are everywhere of late. When Lance was fit and firing, he got himself in position to utilise his reading of the play. The combination made him smart.

When he lost form and fitness, he couldn't get where he needed to be. He used his brain to try and read the flight of the ball and would hang behind his opponent hoping it would bounce over the top so he could get the crumbs. He would give away heaps of shepherding free kicks because he used his size to push back on his opponent when the ball was miles away, hoping he could get an uncontested mark. He lost the ability to compete by and large because he couldn't get there.

I find his peripheral vision and ability to know when and where the ball has to go is a sign of a good football brain but it doesn't look that way when you are sitting out the back like a log and your opponent goes in there and gets it.

In rugby league, Wally Lewis was known as the King for his ability to instinctively know where to run and where to pass and where to kick. Wally was not overly blessed with speed or size or even stamina. He had a great football brain. Lance is not in the stratosphere as far as his standing in his chosen sport but he does have the same onfield qualities if he can get his body and attitude right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Old Dark Navy's said:
No need to find examples, they are everywhere of late. When Lance was fit and firing, he got himself in position to utilise his reading of the play. The combination made him smart.

When he lost form and fitness, he couldn't get where he needed to be. He used his brain to try and read the flight of the ball and would hang behind his opponent hoping it would bounce over the top so he could get the crumbs. He would give away heaps of shepherding free kicks because he used his size to push back on his opponent when the ball was miles away, hoping he could get an uncontested mark. He lost the ability to compete by and large because he couldn't get there.

I find his peripheral vision and ability to know when and where the ball has to go is a sign of a good football brain but it doesn't look that way when you are sitting out the back like a log and your opponent goes in there and gets it.

In rugby league, Wally Lewis was known as the King for his ability to instinctively know where to run and where to pass and where to kick. Wally was not overly blessed with speed or size or even stamina. He had a great football brain. Lance is not in the stratosphere as far as his standing in his chosen sport but he does have the same onfield qualities if he can get his body and attitude right.
there are a number of "smart" footballers in the AFL, and the majority of them tend to win brownlow medals. for example Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss, Greg williams. James Hird to name just a few . these players when under pressure always seem to choose the correct option and always seem to have time to get the handball and kick away just in time ...it's that "slow motion " syndrome people talk about , i believe it's all about spacial perception and awareness that comes naturally to them during the heat of battle .
i believe Lance has these qualitys and he has displayed them from way back when he first entered the scene as a 17 year old . unfortunately offield he has not had the same awareness and perception .
lets hope for his sake and his clubs sake he has finally been enlightened and has finally turned the corner.

Chris Grant and Scott West have could footballer brains.
West like black always seems to be able to get the ball and get it to a team mate ranning past.
Grant reads he ball and positions hiumself near perfectly.

JeffDunne said:

Lions want 'smart' Brown

I've played with and against guys with bung knees etc who couldnt run out of site on a dark night.
These same players can dominate games and pick up twice the possessions of players twice as fit and nimble.
I seen players who are exceptional physical specimens at 6'3" and run the 100m in 11 seconds.
These same guys cant get a kick to save themselves.

Its all about footy smarts.
You call it the ability to read the play, to me its being a smart player.

Players like Whitnall, Rioli, Phil Matera and McGough have differing impediments from size, pace and discipline and commitment.
But they all are smart players.

shagger said:
I've played with and against guys with bung knees etc who couldnt run out of site on a dark night.
These same players can dominate games and pick up twice the possessions of players twice as fit and nimble.
I seen players who are exceptional physical specimens at 6'3" and run the 100m in 11 seconds.
These same guys cant get a kick to save themselves.

Its all about footy smarts.
You call it the ability to read the play, to me its being a smart player.

Players like Whitnall, Rioli, Phil Matera and McGough have differing impediments from size, pace and discipline and commitment.
But they all are smart players.

i think the point here is that footy smarts apply just as much off the field as they do on it.

from a geelong point of view, cameron ling is a case in point. not a prime physical specimen, but is a great reader of the play. he has become an elite player because he backs it up with impeccable preparation behind the scenes.

all the champs mentioned, hird, voss, buckley, s.black, and past champs like deisel williams, flea wilson (and ill add robbie flower to that) not only had 'footy nous' when they were on the paddock, they understood what it took to get the most out of themselves in what they did when off it. thats what puts them a class above.

sure there are average athletes who can get a kick because they can read the play, and top notch althletes who dont because they cant read the game, but then theres the patch in between.

ive seen guys who could have been football geniuses (one name that springs to mind is the golden greek con gorizides) with their ability to read the play, but just didnt pay any attention to what they did in preparation and went down as a wasted talent. whitnall has had some good years but will go down in that category unless hes doing the smart things at the times when he isnt playing in a match. as a great coach once said 'you cant kick it if you aint got it'. in whitnalls case, hes been exposed because hes been outthought by players and coachs, and hasnt been smart enuff to work out ways to get himself back into it. now is the time to show whether these so called footy smarts are as good as has been pumped up over the years.

there are only a select few (ablett, kekovich, crosswell, van der haar for example) who thru sheer brilliance and physical gifts can get away with playing up off the field, and still produce their best football. even so, these guys had an understanding of what they needed to get themselves up for a game. these are the exception to the rule.

Good post Krisholio. I remember when St Kilda was getting thrashed every week in 2000/2001, I said I don't care how slow, or how fat the kids we recruit are, as long as they know how to play footy. I think that sometimes the recruiters forget that we are playing a game that is played 90% above the shoulders. (btw, welcome Mark Mcgough...)

Football smart to me means reading the play and knowing where to be and when.
You can be football smart while being lazy with your preparation ie Lance Whitnall.

Reading the flight of the ball, knowing when to attack/defend, peripehral vision, positioning, where to run to, knowing when to grab the ball or tap it on to keep it moving, picking right options, coolness under pressure... that's how I tend to define footy smarts.

Haven't taken that much notice of it at opposition clubs but North's best two (in the 24 years I've followed the club) have been Wayne Carey and Mark Roberts.

Darky said:
Reading the flight of the ball, knowing when to attack/defend, peripehral vision, positioning, where to run to, knowing when to grab the ball or tap it on to keep it moving, picking right options, coolness under pressure... that's how I tend to define footy smarts.

Haven't taken that much notice of it at opposition clubs but North's best two (in the 24 years I've followed the club) have been Wayne Carey and Mark Roberts.

Don't know if Mark Roberts was the best reader of the play (but he was a great seller of the power tool.) I think the Werlls will be an awesome player for the Roos more for his brains than ability (and that is saying a lot)

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart Footballers - "Good Football Brain"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back