so mac os is supposed to be secure

Remove this Banner Ad

OSX isn't meant to be perfect, otherwise I wouldn't ever see this stoopid thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_wait_cursor

And it isn't virus proof, otherwise Apple would stop giving us free Security Updates.

you had to pay for the next generation wireless compatibility.

and anyone who gets a legit copy of there os will get free updates.

as for those millions of security questions for vista, i have it runninng perfectly on mine and a lot faster tha xp pro ever was.

never had any problems with mine, and dont have to deal with 600000 security questions like vista

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

look at me im an individual i own a mac:rolleyes:

remain ignorant about vista like many do about macs and you wouldnt guess the difference:eek:

http://news.com.com/Apple+megapatch+plugs+45+security+holes/2100-1002_3-6166971.html?tag=nl.e433

i dont think so, 45 security hole patch, lets here the excuses.

buy a mac no way.

Dude: You are 1,000,000 times safer on a Mac than a PC if we are talking security here.... many of these issues are simply because of Mac OS-X moving to Intel... Microsoft releases patches like that every week and this is Apple's only one...And more important, this from the article:

"While several of the vulnerabilities repaired by Apple's updates were previously known, it doesn't appear that any attacks that exploited the flaws actually occurred."

Yeah... every OS is vulnerable, but to compare the security between a OS-X and Windows is laughable....

Dude: You are 1,000,000 times safer on a Mac than a PC if we are talking security here.... many of these issues are simply because of Mac OS-X moving to Intel... Microsoft releases patches like that every week and this is Apple's only one...And more important, this from the article:

"While several of the vulnerabilities repaired by Apple's updates were previously known, it doesn't appear that any attacks that exploited the flaws actually occurred."

Yeah... every OS is vulnerable, but to compare the security between a OS-X and Windows is laughable....

When MacOS has the same market penetration as Windows does than we can compare attacks.

The thing that MonkeyMick doesn't seem to realise is that anybody using a Mac professionally for any serious music/art setup (which is what Apple's main target-market has always been) wouldn't have it online anyway..... you'd be an idiot if you did. (and the same can be said for PC's as well)

I run a PC for internet stuff and general everyday PC stuff because PC's do it better with more variety and choices, and I don't run anything "serious" on my PC. (so if it gets a virus and starts acting strangely, not that it ever has, then my life doesn't fall over.)

I run Macs for my music studio setups because Macs do it far better for me.

Nothing to do with being an "individual" and all to do with making an informed choice about which platform does what I need it to do, does it easily, does it faster, and does it better.

Just as many professionals use PC's for the same reason - their software package of choice runs better (or only) on a PC. They'd be idiots to not use a PC in their case.

When will narrowminded fanboy dills like Mick learn that both PC's and Macs have their place?

I mean, wow....a PC-fanboy pointing out that a MAC has security flaws..... now I've really seen it all! :p

Oh and by the way Mick, did you even read Jabber's comment before replying? :p

You dill.

The thing that MonkeyMick doesn't seem to realise is that anybody using a Mac professionally for any serious music/art setup (which is what Apple's main target-market has always been) wouldn't have it online anyway..... you'd be an idiot if you did. (and the same can be said for PC's as well)

I run a PC for internet stuff and general everyday PC stuff because PC's do it better with more variety and choices, and I don't run anything "serious" on my PC. (so if it gets a virus and starts acting strangely, not that it ever has, then my life doesn't fall over.)

I run Macs for my music studio setups because Macs do it far better for me.

Nothing to do with being an "individual" and all to do with making an informed choice about which platform does what I need it to do, does it easily, does it faster, and does it better.

Just as many professionals use PC's for the same reason - their software package of choice runs better (or only) on a PC. They'd be idiots to not use a PC in their case.

When will narrowminded fanboy dills like Mick learn that both PC's and Macs have their place?

I mean, wow....a PC-fanboy pointing out that a MAC has security flaws..... now I've really seen it all! :p

Oh and by the way Mick, did you even read Jabber's comment before replying? :p

You dill.

ooh i own a mac i must be better and smarter than everyone else:rolleyes:

i just love pissing off mac people coz they believe they have it all, if you did you wouldnt bother with dual boot options coz windows sucks:confused:

thats right you need it coz mac doesnt run or have all the software you require:rolleyes:

Dude: You are 1,000,000 times safer on a Mac than a PC if we are talking security here.... many of these issues are simply because of Mac OS-X moving to Intel...
Incorrect on both counts.

Apple has been reporting more security vulnerabilities than Microsoft for a couple of years now. I agree. It is laughable to compare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...using a Mac professionally for any serious music/art setup (which is what Apple's main target-market has always been)...

You may be right there. It is their target market. But there has been absolutely no evidence that Macs have an advantage over PC's in these areas. Speaking from experience I would certainly say its the other way around. Both in a hardware/software compatibility sense and in a usability sense.

If large sums of people buy a product, does that make the product good? No. It just means they know how to market it (at the least).

If large sums of people buy a product, does that make the product good? No. It just means they know how to market it (at the least).

exactly!!

for example. ipods are not the best product out there. they were the first maybe but iriver and creative zen are possibly better units,

But there has been absolutely no evidence that Macs have an advantage over PC's in these areas.

My "evidence" is that fact that I've had the chance to use both Macs and PC's for music production over the past 10+ years and I prefer Macs for many reasons.

And if you took a look at 95% of professional music studios these days (when was the last time you set foot in one? Have you ever actually been to one in your whole life?), one of the first things you'd notice would be all the Macs running Pro Tools.

There's a reason for that. (many, in fact.)

Don't worry, us audio engineer types check out everything. Trust me, WE have a far better idea than you EVER WILL of which computers and pieces of hardware are better for what WE do.

At the same time, many composers prefer to use PC's. They're cheaper, lots of software available, and PC's certainly aren't as bad for music as they were even 5 years ago.... in fact, these days they're great for music production. And that's the entire point - it all comes down to what the user prefers, which is another thing PC-fanboys seem to forget! (although there are certainly exceptions to this rule....eg. Pro Tools - the industry standard recording software/hardware - runs far better and is far more reliable on a Mac, which is one of the reasons why 95% of recording studios run Macs)

I personally prefer Macs, and the software I use (Logic Pro) and have used for 10 years (since the days when PC's SUCKED for audio) and know inside out doesn't exist for PC anymore, unless I want to use an un-supported version from 5 years ago that doesn't have a quarter of the features my current Mac version has.........no thanks!

As for art/video/etc, I can't really comment as I'm not a graphic artist, although I know artists who use Macs and I know artists who use PC's.... and they are all fantastic artists who know far more than you or I ever will about what is best for THEM to use.

Just as I wouldn't dare tell an experienced composer who uses and is comfortable on PC's to switch to Mac - THEY know more than I ever will about what is best for THEM to use.

Are you starting to get the idea now?

Look, in many cases, you guys are right - some people buy Macs for whatever reason when they really should be buying a PC for what they are doing. There are two types of computer users - professionals and casuals. You guys sit there saying "Macs suck!" and I'm just here to inform you that from a professional point of view, you are simply wrong in many cases. However, from a casual users point of view, you're probably right in many cases.

Speaking from experience I would certainly say its the other way around. Both in a hardware/software compatibility sense and in a usability sense.

And what experience is that? It's certainly not your extensive and experienced audio engineering career! :)

I'm not sure what you mean with this comment..... seems like you're having a go at PC's to me? ;)

By the way, in case you still haven't noticed, I have absolutely nothing against PC's....(I'm not a Mac fanboy! I just prefer them for what I do)

I use various PC's every day, and in a few months time, I''ll be running an Intel Mac (driving Logic Pro) linked to a PC (running soft-synths, soft-samplers, and various other pieces of audio software) and I'll have the best of both worlds. :thumbsu:

Hey, I wish Macs were cheaper, or I wish that my software of choice was available on a PC with the same usability and reliability as it has for me on Mac, because if it did, my bank balance would look a little bit better come upgrade time, and who wouldn't want that?... (although by the time you buy $8000 A/D-D/A converters, $6000 monitors, $4000 synths, $5000 orchestral libraries, a couple of $1500 dsp cards, a handful of $1000 fx bundles, a whole heap of $500 soft-synths, and all the various other bits of pro-audio gear you wouldn't know about, then a few extra grand for a Mac doesn't really make much difference!)

....but sadly, that is not the case, and I'm stuck on a Mac.

And besides, I like it, know it, make lots of money from it, and it works just as I want it to. :thumbsu:

You guys can sit there and pretend you think you know what is better for ME to be using for the rest of your life if you really want, but the fact is, you don't have a clue what is best for ME to be using.

And as for security flaws, if you could hack into a Mac just by farting, it wouldn't bother me since I would never EVER put any professional computer system online as that's not what I buy them for.

mighty mick said:
ooh i own a mac i must be better and smarter than everyone else

i just love pissing off mac people coz they believe they have it all, if you did you wouldnt bother with dual boot options coz windows sucks

What a great argument you have there. Real intelligent stuff.

You're a dill.

thats right you need it coz mac doesnt run or have all the software you require

Interesting argument...because that's exactly one of the reasons I run a MAC!

You really are a dill.

my job is done here ive got the mac guy hot under the collar yeh you gotta troll somewhere, :eek:

as for promoting macs, i do recommend them to people all the time, especially if there in your field of music. or to people studying or working in the arts field.

but definately these days people who want to spend the money to get a mac can yes get a powerful pc or laptop.

the problem remains with people who wanna do that job on a pc/laptop that will only run vista basic/ xp home:rolleyes:

hey ive also been a pc fanboy since the days of being a commodore c64 fanboy:D

my job is done here ive got the mac guy hot under the collar yeh you gotta troll somewhere, :eek:

as for promoting macs, i do recommend them to people all the time, especially if there in your field of music. or to people studying or working in the arts field.

but definately these days people who want to spend the money to get a mac can yes get a powerful pc or laptop.

the problem remains with people who wanna do that job on a pc/laptop that will only run vista basic/ xp home:rolleyes:

hey ive also been a pc fanboy since the days of being a commodore c64 fanboy:D

Exactly the reason I didn't reply. I saw you made 2 copys of this thread with 2 slighty varying contents. It was a troll and nothing more.

Exactly the reason I didn't reply. I saw you made 2 copys of this thread with 2 slighty varying contents. It was a troll and nothing more.

every now and again i like to make mac owners feel smug, every body trolls on here every now and again.

like when idiots troll on a footy board after a player is seriously injured

My "evidence" is that fact that I've had the chance to use both Macs and PC's for music production over the past 10+ years and I prefer Macs for many reasons.

And if you took a look at 95% of professional music studios these days (when was the last time you set foot in one? Have you ever actually been to one in your whole life?), one of the first things you'd notice would be all the Macs running Pro Tools.

There's a reason for that. (many, in fact.)

Don't worry, us audio engineer types check out everything. Trust me, WE have a far better idea than you EVER WILL of which computers and pieces of hardware are better for what WE do.

At the same time, many composers prefer to use PC's. They're cheaper, lots of software available, and PC's certainly aren't as bad for music as they were even 5 years ago.... in fact, these days they're great for music production. And that's the entire point - it all comes down to what the user prefers, which is another thing PC-fanboys seem to forget! (although there are certainly exceptions to this rule....eg. Pro Tools - the industry standard recording software/hardware - runs far better and is far more reliable on a Mac, which is one of the reasons why 95% of recording studios run Macs)

I personally prefer Macs, and the software I use (Logic Pro) and have used for 10 years (since the days when PC's SUCKED for audio) and know inside out doesn't exist for PC anymore, unless I want to use an un-supported version from 5 years ago that doesn't have a quarter of the features my current Mac version has.........no thanks!

As for art/video/etc, I can't really comment as I'm not a graphic artist, although I know artists who use Macs and I know artists who use PC's.... and they are all fantastic artists who know far more than you or I ever will about what is best for THEM to use.

Just as I wouldn't dare tell an experienced composer who uses and is comfortable on PC's to switch to Mac - THEY know more than I ever will about what is best for THEM to use.

So what you are saying is that you agree with me? There is no advantage of Macs over PC's for music/art? (It goes the other way too). This isn't 99 anymore. PC's have caught up in the field and as you say, it now comes down to personal preference, what software you use, and most importantly, what software the client uses. There aren't that many cross-platform production tools, although with dual-booting Intel Macs, we may see PC's slide in the industry. I'm not sure yet.

And what experience is that? It's certainly not your extensive and experienced audio engineering career! :)

I am having a hard time finding the part where I said I had extensive experience in the music industry?? You might have to point me to it. I do have vast experience in the 'art' type fields though.

eg. Pro Tools - the industry standard recording software/hardware - runs far better and is far more reliable on a Mac, which is one of the reasons why 95% of recording studios run Macs)

I'm not sure I get the whole 'reliability' thing. I guess Mac machines tend to be used for the sole purpose of music production, while PC's, because they are more flexible, tend to be branched out into areas that the machine shouldn't be used for (as you say a music production machine shouldn't be connected to the net). From my experience with Macs (all the way to the latest Core2duo) I would never us the word 'reliable' to describe it, just as I wouldn't for a PC.

What do you mean 'runs better'? Are we talking speed here? And if so, what were the testing conditions? Were the systems fitted with comparable hardware? Hell, was the test performed with the fastest PC known vs the fastest Mac known? Because PC's do have a speed advantage in almost every facet of hardware, particularly now that the Mac has abandoned its optimized IBM CPU's. Speed of the OS could be a different story though, although I can tell you now Vista is a hell of a lot zippier than XP.

I personally don't think 'Mac's suck'. Its just I don't take kindly to the high and mighty Mac owner coming in and saying 'macs are better at this or that' when there has been no evidence to substantiate it.

Remove this Banner Ad

so mac os is supposed to be secure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back