Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone got a photo of Melbourne Victory's ACL kit they wore last night?
melbourne-victorys-starting-xi-against-shanghai-sipg_170cjjrwmyxr1gyn5vp3tt42q.jpg

Everybody realises its exactly the same kit as the normal home one yeah? Except it has a number where the a-league badge normally is, and a different sponsor.
It's the small things.

Basically, this kit is just navy and white. It has nothing else going on. There's already a big V so they haven't gone for complexities like a white collar or big strips down the side that just jumble up the strip.

There's a lot to be said for getting rid of the big Hyundai wordmark on the sleeve, the red KFC sleeve sponsor, and the big A-League badge on the front. They just add clutter and wrong colours. The OCTI logo or whatever it is is a bit inferior to the one here because it's so big and billboard-y looking, but it would still be passable if all the other cluttery shit went away.

I thought the white 'V' looked a bit thinner, and the asian sponser looks much much classier.
Shows that not much is needed to improve the cluttered a'league shirts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet (note the bolded underlined part):

FFA release strategic plan for 2016-19

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has today released its Strategic Plan for 2016-19 with a sharp focus on audience growth and fan engagement for the Hyundai A-League in order to drive commercial revenues.
Speaking at the launch of the strategy in Sydney, FFA Chairman Steven Lowy AM said football needs more capital to invest in the concepts at the heart of the Whole of Football Plan, the game’s 20-year vision released in May last year.

“The 4-year strategic plan represents a significant shift in emphasis towards our showcase competition, the Hyundai A-League,” said Lowy.

“This is primarily about broadcast rights and commercial partnerships, which are the economic foundation of football around the world.

“There is impatience from all levels of the game to do more, and do it quickly.

"That’s good. It’s healthy.

“It shows our game is brimming with enthusiasm and that there’s a hunger for success.

“The upcoming renegotiation of our broadcast arrangements will be critical to funding our four-year strategy, but some projects can’t wait until we wrap up that new deal.

“Today, we have announced initiatives that will kick off in the first year of the strategy, but we will not divert from our disciplined approach and our commitment to sustainability.”

The initiatives outlined at the launch by FFA CEO David Gallop AM include;

• A refresh of the A-League brand to connect more fans to the competition as viewers, members, ticket buyers and consumers of digital content.
  • New investment in digital platforms to improve the experience of the 2 million grassroots participants and connect more of them to the Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League.
  • A new centralised approach to Marquee Player Recruitment to assist Hyundai A-League clubs in attracting top class international players, including Caltex Socceroos returning home.
  • Incentives for football stakeholders at all levels to collaborate and align their programs to the game’s overall national objectives.
“Having the funds to invest in the Whole of Football Plan is fundamental, but so too is the unity of purpose that comes from all football’s stakeholders working together,” said Gallop.

FFA has reaffirmed that growth in participation will always be nurtured, but under the new Strategy the focus is to improve the experience for all participants; players, coaches, referees, administrators and volunteers.

“Our state and territory member federations, their zones and associations, and the 2,300 clubs across Australia do an outstanding job, but they need more support,” said Gallop.

“Digital touchpoints will be vital to achieve this goal and we are committed to investment in new platforms.”

Having the Caltex Socceroos and Westfield Matildas qualify for every World Cup remains a key priority, but the Strategy promotes a pipeline of talent so Australia will have generations of successful teams.

“Results at youth international level matter, but not as much as finding the next generation of stars to keep the Socceroos and Matildas at the forefront of Asian and world football,” said Gallop.

“The establishment of A-League academies and the integration of the Foxtel National Youth League teams in the Sony PS4 National Premier Leagues are great steps forward in this aim.”

FFA Strategic Plan 2016-19 has four pillars with key targets;

• Connect more fans with the A-League and W-League
  • Improve the experience for all participants
  • Build generations of successful National Teams
  • Lead towards a unity of purpose

Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...a7yzs2rm70la1489exvauz23x#7xPRToEuf7I1KKOh.99

The refreshing/rebranding of the A-League is due to occur before the 2017-18 season.

Everybody realises its exactly the same kit as the normal home one yeah? Except it has a number where the a-league badge normally is, and a different sponsor.
I love numbers on the front of shirts and on shorts.

Very continental.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet (note the bolded underlined part):

The refreshing/rebranding of the A-League is due to occur before the 2017-18 season.

I get the impression this will be more at a strategic and marketing level, but it will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it graphically - particularly in the wake of major work for MLS and the Premier League, and domestically the NBL and Super Rugby. If it does coincide with a new/cutting of sponsorship deal, they will have to address the visual branding at some point.

The A-League mark, identity and colour scheme is solid and now firmly in the sporting vernacular, and associations with it bringing soccer back to life in this country are good. Sure, the original 8 (represented in the logo) have expanded, contracted, expanded out to 10 clubs, but the shape itself is memorable and 'Australiana'. In the world of football, it could be a lot, lot worse.

The gradients are a relic of the shiny marble mid-00s era, and similarly the font is a a bit immature. There is room for adaptive improvement.

Logos, while only the tip of the iceberg of branding, are usually the showpiece for an organisation to say 'look, we're doing stuff and feeling brand new again!'.

The first good news is that it's a long-term vision. For a league and federation that is perennially at junctures, cusps and frontiers, I look forward to seeing the post-Hyundai A-League.

The FFA and soccer in Australia is inherently flawed anyway. The FFA and A-League was formed over a decade ago and yet we're getting this 'vision' now? The unification of state and pro leagues is still wobbly, the Youth Cup is pointless, and youth talent pathways are as murky as ever (where is a yearly state carnival? How does a 13-year old progress to the A-League? Is it through a district program, or through A-League club academies?). And don't get me started on the factions and disunity between clubs, local comps, and state federations. The thing is all over the place.

These 'fixes' will just be surface level probs.

As above though, the original orange ball logo is pretty good. You can adapt that so easily – just make it flat, change the angle of the football, add in 10-12 'elements' to make up the ball. Maybe you could revert to the hexagonal ball design, with each pad being a vaguely representative shape of the club? Ie Adelaide United's is in the shape of the state, Sydney FC's like the Opera House, the Victory with a big chevron. Could look messy but could be okay if done subtly.

I reckon a big bold block font would be great too.

The worst thing is the stupid NBL taking over an orange logo though. Get your own!

Also the A-League should mandate a new club to join in 2018 – how dumb do you have to be? Bring in new teams on the coattails of World Cups. Four years is a good addition period.

Smeagle mentioned the MLS and the thing that struck me about that and this vision is the club's being part of a greater whole – like branches. I think that's essential for a youthful league and it's the Aussie sporting way, especially without promotion and relegation. So along with the Marquee Draft/Auction, I'd like to see all clubs (bar Wanderers and Raw, maybe Victory too) get new logos – I don't mean in the mid-2000s Cricket Australia way, where all logos are variations in a shield, but just new logos in general.

Don't renew or reinvent the competition: refresh it. Make it brighter. Go from baby steps, trying not to fall and having a few stumbles even in your best attempts, to now being assured and able to walk a bit faster. Give off that image.

Btw the Mariners should wear nothing but all yellow – tops to shorts to socks. I genuinely think it's a unique look and it's looked great this year. Sort of fulfils their Spirit-sorta vibe, and their small town dagginess. Do it.

Also I think we're due for a new Jets identity this year. The club was redrawn for this iteration, but it was too late for new logos, names, and shirts. They'll probably still be Newcastle United Jets basically, but I'd love to see them simplify a bit: a big, simple, gold Jet as a logo would be so simple, bold, and telling. Just that on the heart would be so cool. Proper soccer.

Arsenal's away strip this year has also told me gold should come back. I used to despise their old one, but if you don't make it shiny, it can work.
aaron-ramsey-of-arsenal-during-the-barclays-premier-league-match-afc-picture-id508913092

mesut-ozil-of-arsenal-during-the-barclays-premier-league-match-afc-picture-id508913112

In fact just completely rip it off – uni told me this isn't copying, it's 'adaption.' And it's hell artistic. Yeah...

The away strip should be like this old Newcy one – half the emerald green of the Hunter rep squads, half the navy blue of their Barca-lite-lite-skim-skinny-not even years.
newcastle-united-third-football-shirt-1993-1995-s_2643_1.jpg

Last edited:
That Arsenal kit is shit especially in comparison to the glorious yellow and blue one they wore when Liverpool game them a pasting a couple of years ago.
I used to think so too but it's actually got a grotty charm. It looks good on TV, the colours go well together. Plus The Arsenal kill it every season with their away strips, always have, so it's good to get a variation on yellow (and I actually like our blue away strips, even if most fans don't – we'll be shit regardless of the away colour).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back