westy1

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2006
denmark
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
east freo
cant help but thiink that the aquisition of solly puts pressure on cookie and shauny mac,all three are in the same bracket of hard at it players maybe lacking some lgspeed.
dare i day it that sollys ball skills are better than both of the others.theres no foom for all these guys in one side.

Parry St. said:
I would be surprised if any of them play in the first game. If they do, it's going to be a long year.
if solomon is 100% fit which he claims then he is certainly in our best 22.its a big if though

Someone from freo was quoted as saying they wanted to bring in Solomon to help Cook. I can't help but think its more likely to replace him though. Shauny Mac might be in a bit of trouble after some non-performances in the finals

voodoo_86 said:
Someone from freo was quoted as saying they wanted to bring in Solomon to help Cook. I can't help but think its more likely to replace him though. Shauny Mac might be in a bit of trouble after some non-performances in the finals

I can't help thinking that Macca would not have played in the PF if He wasn't Macca.

It will be interesting to see if Cookie is offered another year.

Scham said:
I think the addition of Soloman will put presure on Headland.

IMO Headland isn't in our best 22 anymore.

Isn't in our best 25 IMHO.

Three poor finals from a guy with his experience on the amount of money he is on was a massive let down.

dominguez said:
Isn't in our best 25 IMHO.

Three poor finals from a guy with his experience on the amount of money he is on was a massive let down.

Do you not think it's possible that the addition of Taz and Solly will add to Dessy's game and allow him to play more the role he played with Brisbane?

It's all positive from where i sit.

Cheetah said:
Do you not think it's possible that the addition of Taz and Solly will add to Dessy's game and allow him to play more the role he played with Brisbane?

Sitting off the pack waiting for Black, Lappin and Voss to dish out the handball? If Hasleby returns to his best the opportunities for an outside player like Des will increase, but I'd rather have someone filling that role with a bit more passion and commitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I got of Schwab's interview on Pee Arr the other day they will be playing him in the Fwd line. I imagine he will probably become a defensive fwd, switching through the middle. This is what cook and webster have done on occasion. Hmm... is this going to help cook or replace him.

Tommo said:
From what I got of Schwab's interview on Pee Arr the other day they will be playing him in the Fwd line. I imagine he will probably become a defensive fwd, switching through the middle. This is what cook and webster have done on occasion. Hmm... is this going to help cook or replace him.

Or is it going to give Cookie, in what will surely be his last year, the chance to pinch hit off the bench and take out some bodies and clear some space at stoppages. I can see him only playing limited game time but utilising that time with his greatest strength...being a human cannonball. Opposition mids will be looking over their shoulder with Cookie coming one way and Solomon the other. I can't wait.
But it's Shauny Mac who I think will really struggle to get a game this year. I love the guy but just can't see him fitting into the 22 very often unless we are slaughtered by injuries.

I think both Macca and Cook wont start the year in the 22, and if we're successful, will struggle to break in. I think Macca will get his 5 games to get to 200, but if he gets dropped after that its curtains. I don't think Cook will reach 200.

Will be interesting to see how Solomon goes, I don't think he's that bad, he's just not really suited to being a key defender which is what he had to try and do last season.

Agree voodoo. I think (hope) they will play Macca off the bench to get him to 200. Cookie is too far away to reach the big milestone; Parker will need to maintain some good form - and consistent good form - to reach 250 (he's on 231), but it would be great for him and the club if he does.

But then again, maybe in this push for a premiership there'll be no room for sentimentality as far as macca is concerned... I had hoped they would give medders one more game to get him to 100, so we could get any potential father-sons if he was traded. Didn't happen. :(

McManus and Cook will be in the mix, we're bound to have 2 or 3 players out injured from time to time allowing them both to play. It might be similar to this year where we give 1 or 2 of the young guys a go for the first 15 rounds, then bring in the experienced players for the run to the finals.

I'd like to see Cook playing off the bench. He gives that spark we need, especially in the big games where the phyiscal side of things is more emphasised.

If Haselby is fit, then Macca will only play about 12 games IMO.

In the real world it is very rare to have our best 22 on the ground, really we must look at our best 25 as that is the list of players more likely to be on the ground.

For example, early in 2007 Hase will be running with the Sharks, late in 2007 Warnock may amble onto the scene.

It all depends on injuries.

i wouldnt any of the above players in my best 25 still.for that matter i would hate to see solly play instead of a bloke like webster .

Essendon and Soloman had a bad year. It is easy to forget how good players were when they are coming off a bad season! IMO Solly and Tarrant will both be great acqusitions and easily in your best 22! Give them a chance. Both are young so trading the draft picks isn't a major concern! As long as its not an ongoing thing its not a problem to do it for one year! You got Soloman for practically nothing anyway!

I'm not sure exactly where Cook & McMannus play, but I would have thought they'd line up around the wings/centre...??

Solly I'd say would play a similar role to Chick at the Eagles...

His best position at the Bombers has been on the HBF, and he has also done well pinch hitting in the forward line (eg similar to Chick).

I think that Essendon have mismanaged Solly badly over the past couple of years, we've forced him to play in positions he shouldn't (eg on key forwards - Fev, Gerry and Hall to name a few this season) and to bulk himself up...

All of this has put pressure on his knees and reduced his speed and agility. At the Dockers he should be able to play in his best position along the HB line of HF line... Plus he will provide hardness and look after the likes of Johnson, Mundy etc in the back line.

Have a read of this article - it gives some insight into his poor form of late. Will be a good aquisition for the Dockers!

Weight is over for Solomon
By Digby Beacham

October 19, 2006 12:00

Article from: ReutersFont size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
THE Fremantle Dockers will streamline Dean Solomon over summer to ensure he's capable of handling the wide expanses of Subiaco Oval.

Solomon turns 27 in January and the Dockers are determined to strip several kilos from the rugged utilty's solid frame.

It is understood the 2000 premiership player topped the scales at 104kg this season - despite being just 189cm - as the Bombers looked to load him up to provide another option as a key defender.

Solomon is understood to have played with broken ribs late in the year, and he had knee surgery shortly before the start of the season.

Despite the twin setbacks he played 21 matches, missing the shock victory over Collingwood in Round 19 after being absent from a recovery session following the loss to Sydney at the SCG a week earlier.

The Dockers are confident that the club's conditioning staff will settle on a program that enables Solomon to hover around 97kg mark and not be disadvantaged by Subiaco's space and speed.

The former Bomber has been holidaying in London and is expected to arrive back in Melbourne this week, possibly as early as tomorrow.

Fremantle officials are keen to make contact and explain what they have in store for the pinch-hitter, third in Essendon's fairest-and-best count of 2004, the same year he represented Australia in the International Rules series.

While Cookie and Macca may be under pressure they'll be under no more pressure than Crowley, Schammer, Peake, Headland, Walker etc. Even Matty Carr.

For example, both Macca and Headland are well ahead of Crowley in terms of tackles. And I thought Macca was a very important player at clearances in the latter part of the season. This is something that neither Crowley or Schammer have to offer at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

solly,cook & mcmannus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back