Solomon, now McPhee

Remove this Banner Ad

Memories

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think both Solomon and McPhee put more of themselves into Freo than pretty much everyone else we've had play. Why do we need ex-essendon recruits to come to freo to have a bit of heart?

After Freo's woeful first quarter, McPhee comes out to impose himself and gets the whole team firing due to it. If he hadn't done that, I'm sure it would have been 4 quarters of crap.

In essence we need about 4-5 of these McPhee type players that we rotate into the team to play the "edge" and if they get suspended, oh well, got another 3 or 4 of them to come in and do the same thing. We need players that want to drive the other players into the ground, that want to hurt the other team physically. Instead we have finger pointers in Johnson "Quick go there and do the hard thing" or Ibbotson and Hill doing fairy steps into contests.

Melbourne may be the best "bruise free" football team going around at the moment, but they beat us. Puts things in perspective I think.

I think both Solomon and McPhee put more of themselves into Freo than pretty much everyone else we've had play. Why do we need ex-essendon recruits to come to freo to have a bit of heart?

After Freo's woeful first quarter, McPhee comes out to impose himself and gets the whole team firing due to it. If he hadn't done that, I'm sure it would have been 4 quarters of crap.

In essence we need about 4-5 of these McPhee type players that we rotate into the team to play the "edge" and if they get suspended, oh well, got another 3 or 4 of them to come in and do the same thing. We need players that want to drive the other players into the ground, that want to hurt the other team physically. Instead we have finger pointers in Johnson "Quick go there and do the hard thing" or Ibbotson and Hill doing fairy steps into contests.

Melbourne may be the best "bruise free" football team going around at the moment, but they beat us. Puts things in perspective I think.

We were up and going before he did that, I don't give a shit. McPhee is a rock bottom footballer.

I thought what McPhee did was absolutely atrocious. He was in a position where he could of tackled and pinged the bloke. But he did the soft option and got him high with a flying elbow. I think showing a bit of heart would be more personified if you layed a bone crunching tackle then a weak elbow to the face.

I don't think he was trying to elbow him in the face. He collected him and it was stupid but I think he just midjudged a proper bump. Please note that doesn't mean I don't think he should go for weeks for it.

But before that happened we were not going. At the time I was ropable that he did it, but five minutes later it did appear to be the catalyst we needed. It's pathetic that it took that shitty act but that's where we're at.

I don't usually agree with Memories, but I have been harbouring this theory for quite some time.

I call it 'The Ensign Smith Theory', to bastardise a Star Trek reference.

We have a team of players, and one semi-skilled thug. For this example, I will call him Dylan Roberton. He picks a bloke, the best opposition player, for example, and lines him up, hits him HARD. If he gets reported, so be it. With time, he'll get better at it, and the team will be better for it.

Come to think of it, kinda describes John Worsfold and his playing style.

I don't usually agree with Memories, but I have been harbouring this theory for quite some time.

I call it 'The Ensign Smith Theory', to bastardise a Star Trek reference.

We have a team of players, and one semi-skilled thug. For this example, I will call him Dylan Roberton. He picks a bloke, the best opposition player, for example, and lines him up, hits him HARD. If he gets reported, so be it. With time, he'll get better at it, and the team will be better for it.

Come to think of it, kinda describes John Worsfold and his playing style.

Old school.

Beat your opponent. Win the ball. Use it well. That's all we need.

I thought what McPhee did was absolutely atrocious. He was in a position where he could of tackled and pinged the bloke. But he did the soft option and got him high with a flying elbow. I think showing a bit of heart would be more personified if you layed a bone crunching tackle then a weak elbow to the face.

Good post, completely agree, it was pretty gutless, an elbow to the head of an opponent who isn't expecting it isn't "imposing" himself.

Yep that was dumb by Mcphee.

He was lined up perfectly for a bone crunching front on rugby style tackle an chose to go the bump instead.

But completely agree overall we are far too soft.
An we need more players with niggle,look to hurt the opposition at every opportunity within the rules, just to let them know if they want to mix it with us an come out on top there going to have to take alot of hard knocks an bruises.

The lower teams with smaller younger players cant handle that an you see them doing stuff like Hinkley an Hill did last night.
So it makes games against lower teams easier to win, instead of the struggles we have against them.

Also atleast what mcphee did caused the rest of team to stand up,show some fight an passion.

Completely stupid to bump in that situation but agree rest of the players need to take a small leaf out of the Mcphee an Soloman books.

Yeah what we need is our important players spending weeks on the sidelines cos we have surplus depth ATM!??? Pfffft!
Yeah we need aggression but McPhee could've laid a pearler of a legal, hard tackle in that situation rather than giving his face a touch up.

Yep McPhee was in the perfect position to put a rugby league style front on tackle,and buried Gilbert.

Some of the people in this thread are soft. Who cares if he elbowed him in the face? He wasn't trying to do anything but hurt the guy and protect himself in the process, he was going for a bump and Gilbert put his face into it . An elbow to the face is about 10x better than a knee to the back of the head which is what we're seeing every week now and that's called "play on". To put it in perspective, any hitting of the back of the head is BANNED in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), yet the AFL allows players to knee heads with delight, provided you're going for a mark.

So just put what McPhee did into perspective here. And if he gets weeks it's irrelevant, because if we had more players like him in the team they would have been inspired by what he did and got up for the win. Getting one player reported each week and winning every game isn't that bad a deal to me. Like I said, get 4 or 5 of these less talented guys who like hurting others rotate them into the team based on their availability. It's a violent sport.

Or like I said, get McPhee to "Go for a mark" and "Knee someone in the head" in the process. It's legal.

One thing I liked last night about last night's commentary (Channel 7 are a massive improvement on Channel 10 in that regard) was the reaction of Leigh Matthews to the incident. Tom Harley had a little sook, but Matthews almost excused it.

That's basically why he's regarded as the best player of all time, and a pretty amazing coach. McPhee will rightfully be suspended, but I think it's far better that he chose to make contact, and followed through with it, despite it being illegal, than pulling out.

He had two options - to go, which might have risked suspension, or to pull out. We need more players like him who choose to go, even if it ends up looking really dumb.

Mayne's effort to take that mark in the first was the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha yeah I pick up what your putting down. I spose chrichton, roberton and co. Wouldn't be too missed if they spent a week here and there on the sidelines

Some of the people in this thread are soft. Who cares if he elbowed him in the face? He wasn't trying to do anything but hurt the guy and protect himself in the process, he was going for a bump and Gilbert put his face into it . An elbow to the face is about 10x better than a knee to the back of the head which is what we're seeing every week now and that's called "play on". To put it in perspective, any hitting of the back of the head is BANNED in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), yet the AFL allows players to knee heads with delight, provided you're going for a mark.

So just put what McPhee did into perspective here. And if he gets weeks it's irrelevant, because if we had more players like him in the team they would have been inspired by what he did and got up for the win. Getting one player reported each week and winning every game isn't that bad a deal to me. Like I said, get 4 or 5 of these less talented guys who like hurting others rotate them into the team based on their availability. It's a violent sport.

Or like I said, get McPhee to "Go for a mark" and "Knee someone in the head" in the process. It's legal.

Completely agree :thumbsu:

The aggression and hardness Smokey brings might not be appreciated by the fans but I bet the younger guys feel a bit safer with him around. I remember the trial last year at Freo oval when Wojcinski got stuck into Chrichton and Smokey raced in and flew the flag for a seriously out of his depth kid..Last night was silly but it always looks worse in slo-mo on the fifth replay.Give him a break.

Pretty sure there was no elbow in it. All shoulder. It wasn't even a front on smash, he cut across him.

Since when was the hip and shoulder not a respected part of the game?

The aggression and hardness Smokey brings might not be appreciated by the fans but I bet the younger guys feel a bit safer with him around. I remember the trial last year at Freo oval when Wojcinski got stuck into Chrichton and Smokey raced in and flew the flag for a seriously out of his depth kid..Last night was silly but it always looks worse in slo-mo on the fifth replay.Give him a break.

Agree, which is why he also has to do the aggression intelligently, with the team in mind and in control. He had two out of three right in that move - the smart thing would be the tackle, maybe even results in a goal and still shows plenty of physicality. Instead, they clear it easily and he gets a three week holiday - lots of 'protecting of young players' he's going to do in the stands. :rolleyes:

Almost identical to Solomon. He's gonna get at least 4 and be out for the season.

Not even close. Solomon went flying in almost out of control elbow out and raised on Ling who didn't even have the ball - plus Ling was out for few weeks with a broken jaw which under the current kangaroo court system makes a big difference. McPhee's was just a dumb-ass attempt at a bump.

mcphee has learnt that he is a much better player when he 100% commits to every thing he does. it's when he hesitates and thinks when he chokes and fumbles the ball around. sure he is going to look dirty when he tries to be physical and stuffs it up but that doesn't bother me too much.

I clicked open this thread thinking, here we go, another embarrassing loss another memories thread, probably ripping the shit out of McPhee.

I stand corrected before you Mem. I also agree 100% on your assesment of Smokey and Soloman. :thumbsu:

The only critique i have is, people should stop this Hill comparison with all this tough and hard. He will never be that type of player.
He will win games not hard hit competitions, and i am very comfortable with that. It was only recently he was throwing up on the sidelines, regained composure and went back on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Solomon, now McPhee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back