Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
Sometimes people just have no luck and Dodoro is one of these i feel
I am glad my life is not consumed by a bloke in a football club .

Not really. It might have a role for individual decisions/years perhaps, but not over extended periods of time.

With time, good luck and bad luck will cancel each other out.

Bad decisions is why our recruiting has been poor.

We've had some pretty bad luck. Not sure most clubs have 'head coach allows a doping programme resulting in majority of senior list suspended for a season' on their 'normal fluctuation of luck' board.

Not really. It might have a role for individual decisions/years perhaps, but not over extended periods of time.

With time, good luck and bad luck will cancel each other out.

Bad decisions is why our recruiting has been poor.

Three top 10 picks in a year wiped out of U18 football

No.1 pick in a year no clear cut absolute certainty

Picks traded for established players in drafts that were good

Yep, repeat bad decisions. I could it dumb luck

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Three top 10 picks in a year wiped out of U18 football

No.1 pick in a year no clear cut absolute certainty

Picks traded for established players in drafts that were good

Yep, repeat bad decisions. I could it dumb luck

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good luck can definitely set you up when the margins are so small though.

Collingwood have:

2014 F/S Darcy Moore
2016 F/S Josh Daicos
2018 Academy Isaac Quaynor
2021 F/S Nick Daicos

They got Nick Daicos the year they'd completely ****ed their list due to the salary cap as well, which well and truly lessened the blow of that disaster for them.

Dogs have had some luck with theirs too:

2010 F/S Liberatore
2012 F/S Hunter
2015 F/S Dunkley
2018 F/S West
2020 Academy Ugle-Hagan
2021 F/S Darcy

Sydney since 2014:

Heeney
Mills
Blakey
Campbell
Gulden

All via Academy.

We've had some good F/S players in Jobe Watson (2002) and Joe Daniher (2010), separated by a decade instead of nicely timed with 3 in a 7 year window with the KPP first in Moore.

If we had some good luck and say the Davey's both turn out to be genuine AFL players and Kobe Bewick turned out to be a star in a compromised draft when Tassie comes in and around the time you'd hope we're seeing this list build really hitting their straps, that'd go a long way to setting us up for the long-term.

Collingwood have:

2014 F/S Darcy Moore
2016 F/S Josh Daicos
2021 F/S Nick Daicos

They got Nick Daicos the year they'd completely ****ed their list due to the salary cap as well, which well and truly lessened the blow of that disaster for them.

2010 F/S Liberatore
2012 F/S Hunter
2015 F/S Dunkley
2018 F/S West
2020 Academy Ugle-Hagan
2021 F/S Darcy

Sydney since 2014:

Heeney
Mills
Blakey
Campbell
Gulden

All via Academy.

We've had some good F/S players in Jobe Watson (2002) and Joe Daniher (2010), separated by a decade instead of nicely timed with 3 in a 7 year window with the KPP first in Moore.

If we had some good luck and say the Davey's both turn out to be genuine AFL players and Kobe Bewick turned out to be a star in a compromised draft when Tassie comes in and around the time you'd hope we're seeing this list build really hitting their straps, that'd go a long way to setting us up for the long-term.
Dunkley FS to Sydney

Collingwood have:

2014 F/S Darcy Moore
2016 F/S Josh Daicos
2021 F/S Nick Daicos

2010 F/S Liberatore
2012 F/S Hunter
2015 F/S Dunkley
2018 F/S West
2020 Academy Ugle-Hagan
2021 F/S Darcy

Sydney since 2014:

Heeney
Mills
Blakey
Campbell
Gulden

All via Academy.

Much of this is not luck. The father son and academy systems are by design and it’s why other teams are complaining about unfair advantages. It’s not like we’ve not had any benefit through this as well. We did after all get Watson who became a Brownlow medalist using that system.

The saga was due to dumb decisions inside the club, again this was not luck. Perhaps you could probably argue that this was bad luck for dodo, which I guess is fair enough. But by that token, we’d have to also consider that dodo took Merrett in 2013 when we were penalised, who has since become the best player he’s ever drafted. It is possible that had we had access to an earlier draft pick that year we may not have taken Merrett. So again, the penalties that year could have ironically benefited us.

But I’m on record saying that I think dodo did some of his best drafting at that time. Unlike his apologists, I will happily concede that he did well that year and attribute those successes to his decisions rather than luck.

I think that if we look over his almost 30 year tenure, a clear pattern of failed planning and poor decision making is evident.

Oh No Omg GIF by Apple TV+

"It depends on what Adrian wants to do ... "

My god ...

This will simply never end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think it is a nothing story.
I accept that most would like to see the back of him . He was an average list manager that lacked the skillset to build a balanced list . He had a chance at redemption after the saga but it fell short so I understand people not wanting to see him.
I am in the minority but I do not really care as he is not making any decisions on players either FA / Trade or draft. You can take it to the bank over and over. Scott / McPherson / Rosa / Vozzo are making the list decisions . RFK is making the draft decisions based on what player types Scott and co are looking for.
Dodoro is working minimal hours a week talking to player managers in regards to contracts and players we may be interested in. He has no free reign . He playing within the lanes of what has been set out. He may not go for a while if they deem Rosa's energy is better spent focusing on the list decisions and not the back room negotiations.
They have pretty much given Dodoro the one job he is actually good at. The argy bargy of dealing with player managers.
It is basically this is our highest dollar value . Make it happen for less or this is the guy we want sweet talk his manager and get him on board.

Last edited:

Collingwood have:

2014 F/S Darcy Moore
2016 F/S Josh Daicos
2021 F/S Nick Daicos

2010 F/S Liberatore
2012 F/S Hunter
2015 F/S Dunkley
2018 F/S West
2020 Academy Ugle-Hagan
2021 F/S Darcy

Sydney since 2014:

Heeney
Mills
Blakey
Campbell
Gulden

All via Academy.

Collingwood's management was diabolical.

Can we please change the title of this thread to

Never to be Ex - GM

Club is still a joke
We have the worst governance of any club in the last twenty years so I don't blame dodoro. It's inarguable that we are the worst governed club in the last twenty years.

I'll support on field effort but nothing financial or off field until the club can demonstrate actual governance to a local club level.

Oh No Omg GIF by Apple TV+

"It depends on what Adrian wants to do ... "

My god ...

This will simply never end.

I don't mind so much, as long as he's not burning first rounders anymore. Keep him around for the MSD and the other things he's good at (can't remember what they are, but there must be something).

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back