South Australian 10c bottle refund

Remove this Banner Ad

10c might actually get me to be bothered taking them to the bottle depot. 5c per can is hardly worth making the seperate trip for. I still recycle them...just in our usual recycling. My parents save them up, and take them back, although they usually only get no more than 10 bucks

I think he bottle refund is a great idea, but I'd never lower myself and actually do it. Let the homeless do it and earn some cash to spend on booze.

and people wonder why SA gets so much shit hung on them......

:rolleyes:

We actually have a cleaner environment as a result because (unlike the rubbish tip that you live in) people don't chuck cans and bottles etc all over the place, and if they do, it's soon picked up by someone.

Great scheme, the sooner WA adopts it the better. Even if not every person stockpiles their cans and bottles and takes them in for a refund at 5 or 10c per can/bottle, it gets people thinking about what to do with their waste cans & bottles.

Aluminium is worth approximately $3,000 per tonne.
A 375mL can weighs around 15g empty.

Assuming a scrap metal yard will buy your aluminium cans at $3k/t, a beer carton worth of cans will get you less than a cent.
A beer carton worth of cans cashed in at the state recycling place will get you $2.40 at 10c per can. Not a bad deal all things considered.

Approximately 3 billion aluminium cans are produced in Australia each year. Given our population is around 20 million, that's 150 cans each. If you collected all 3bn, you'd earn $300m. Not bad.;)

If your household went through a carton of beer a month, and say 5 plastic bottles per week, if you kept every empty there's $50 for the taking at the end of the year. More importantly, there's 500 cans and bottles that are accounted for and don't go into landfill. It's really not that much to ask to have a dedicated can/bottle bin or Hessian bag in your back yard. You do your bit for keeping the environment tidy and you get a small reward for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

South Australian 10c bottle refund

Remove this Banner Ad

Back