South Melbourne & Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not unusual for someone who only supports a VFA/VFL club to 'hate' the local VFL rival.
My family has been following Williamstown for generations, and Willy and Footscray had a huge rivalry, particularly in the early 1920's. Funny now that we're aligned. My grandfather would have turned in his grave.
As for Port and Willy, this is one awesome rivallry. The only serious player move between clubs was when Mal Allen moved across to player/coach 'town in 1976, and the stunning move of Bill Swan to 'town in 1989 after being at Port for about 15 years.
Couple of ex Willy boys at Port now though, including Brewer and Fanning (son of John Fanning, a long time Willy ruckman from the '70's).

He brought a couple of Port players with him, Frank Briner & Brian 'Pickles' Alexander. On the flipside it was disappointing to see Gary Goding running around in a Port jumper after he had come up through the junior ranks at Willy, but was not able to find his way onto the senior list.

He brought a couple of Port players with him, Frank Briner & Brian 'Pickles' Alexander. On the flipside it was disappointing to see Gary Goding running around in a Port jumper after he had come up through the junior ranks at Willy, but was not able to find his way onto the senior list.

In a scrap book i have a photo of Goding, with Mark Arceri and Ian Fairley - all came through the juniors. Didnt do much at Port.

Forgot 'Pickles' Alexander - one of the reasons we one the Div 2 flag that year, terrific little defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

South Melbourne & Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back