Southern football 2007.. what do you expect

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gospel

Senior List
Feb 6, 2007
d
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Want to get thoughts for the new season, who do you think will be the big improvers and the disappoints in the premier and regional leagues and the players to watch

Premier league
North Hobart the big improvers and Kingborough the disappointments

Players to watch Cam Degooyer (NH), Ben Setchell (Clar) Alex Gilmore (brigh) Jason Howard (King) Sam Unsworth (Hbt)

Regional League
Cygnet have picked up well with several ex players back and some handy players coming to the club. I think Huonville will struggle.

Players to watch.M Darcy (Cyg) A Burdon (C Hawks) T Lamprill (Cyg) A Henley (Ker) C Joyce (Hville)

Darcy will dominate back at Cygnet again. Joyce is too big and nowhere near what he used to be at North Hobart so I wouldn't expect too much from him. I would be keeping an eye on the new midfielders at league HQ. Geappen and Walker will have a massive year and DeGooyer in a good side will be something to see. Hobart will be thereabouts due to their young runners and I expect New Norfolk to be the Big Disappointments for '07.

New Norfolk as well as Kingborough will be the disapointments in 07, both lost numerous key players that will be hard to replace.

At league HQ, north look to be flying after smashing the young mariners by a fair margin on saturday.
A good mix of youth and experience was well on show saturday, even with bolton, geappen and a couple of others unavailable.

Sayin that, they were playing kids... but i expect to see more of the same come round 1.

Hobart should be there abouts this year, brighton on the up while lauderdale bringing up the rear of the table.

Ladder - Premier League
Clarence
Glenorchy
North Hobart
Hobart
New Norfolk

Brighton
Kingston
Lauderdale

I have my top 4 a little different.

North Hobart
Clarence
Hobart
Glenorchy

I think North Hobart are a chance to win another one, and I think Glenorchy are overrated and only got so far last year through superior fitness which hopefully all the other teams have picked up on.

Premier League:

North Hobart
Clarence
Hobart
Glenorchy
Brighton
-------------
New Norfolk
Kingborough
Lauderdale

Regional League:
Cygnet
Dodges Ferry
Kermandie
Sorell
Central Hawks
---------------
Clarement
Channel
Huonvillle
Lindisfarne
Triabunna

New Norfolk as well as Kingborough will be the disapointments in 07, both lost numerous key players that will be hard to replace.

At league HQ, north look to be flying after smashing the young mariners by a fair margin on saturday.
A good mix of youth and experience was well on show saturday, even with bolton, geappen and a couple of others unavailable.

Sayin that, they were playing kids... but i expect to see more of the same come round 1.

Hobart should be there abouts this year, brighton on the up while lauderdale bringing up the rear of the table.

Kingborough will be ****ed this year and bad luck to some of the ****ers down there.

Kingpin you would be happy about that and I can hear it now "Karma"

Kingborough will be ****ed this year and bad luck to some of the ****ers down there.

Kingpin you would be happy about that and I can hear it now "Karma"
Kaaaaaaaaaaaarmaaaaaaaaaa :D *sorry mate I had to do it :p

But in all seriousness, it shows why trying buy your way to the top doesn't work.
I'm struggling to think of a club yet that has been a longterm success doing it that way, they'd have been way better off nurturing the talent they had in their district, investing their money wisely and grown as a club in the future.
They're still very, very small fry despite the fact that Barra has sunk a fortune into them.
They'll never get that new ground they're after, not while you and I are still young anyway, they'd be better off doing some improvements to their ground with that money and investing into other things to improve their asset base.
Money better spent than throwing good money over bad at greedy mercinaries like they have done.
They and Hobart could co-operate in the logo problem, work together and both be more involved in the community and would have a much better name in the longterm because of that and might even win new fans with that attitude.
They still have this old-fashioned mindset that having a big backer throwing money everywhere makes them a 'big club', it doesn't.
I see these country clubs - and not just Kingborough either - throwing money everywhere like monopoly money in order to win the flag, and wonder what'll happen to them in the future when the money runs out.
It's the exact problem which nearly wiped out all the TFL clubs in the 90's, failing to spend money wisely, failing to get themselves asset rich to keep themselves above water when times are tough and they inevitably have nothing to fall back on later on.
I'll give ya the tip, if Hobart hadn't have bought the Brisbane Hotel in 1974, they would've been dead and buried in the 80's.
Sandy Bay's selling of the Traveller's Rest Hotel to a Wrest Point consortium in the late 80's was the final nail in their coffin.
No good of winning flags if it nearly kills you in the process - ask Hobart about that one - the 1989 Grand Final loss and 1990 premiership was a $750,000 millstone around Hobart's neck for years afterwards :thumbsdown:

Seems like footy here is still full of slow learners aye? :thumbsu:

Mate you are spot on.
Kingborough is a very big area and if the *****rs running the club tried to invest in the area it would be a force in years to come but no we cant have that.

Mate you are spot on.
Kingborough is a very big area and if the *****rs running the club tried to invest in the area it would be a force in years to come but no we cant have that.

I have said that for years mate. You look at the players playing at other clubs that could play Premier League seniors. If you look at people that come from their area (Kingborough/Huon/Channel) you would have half a dozen at Cygnet and Kermandie, a few at Channel and Huonville, not to mention the others that live in the area and play for other Premier League clubs (ie Hobart, Nth Hobart) and a handful more playing in the old Scholars... They would be one of the best sides in he comp if everyone from the area wanted to play for them...

I have said that for years mate. You look at the players playing at other clubs that could play Premier League seniors. If you look at people that come from their area (Kingborough/Huon/Channel) you would have half a dozen at Cygnet and Kermandie, a few at Channel and Huonville, not to mention the others that live in the area and play for other Premier League clubs (ie Hobart, Nth Hobart) and a handful more playing in the old Scholars... They would be one of the best sides in he comp if everyone from the area wanted to play for them...

You fool....

every team would be that much stronger and have claim to be the best side going round if everyone from "their" area played for them.

You fool....

every team would be that much stronger and have claim to be the best side going round if everyone from "their" area played for them.

I am not saying that they wouldn't, but Kingborough have a massive amount of talented players in their area playing elsewhere. What i am getting at is that the administration and politics that occur at the club have driven talented young players elsewhere, due to them not wanting to put up with it, and also the fact that they look after their 'recruits' before the loyal players that have stuck by them for years, right through the junior ranks.

This is a massive problem at Kingborough, and has forced a club with a lot of history and potential to be struggling to even fill sides, let alone match it with the better sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please use the rport post function (little image down bottom left of each post) in case of poster naughtiness. I know I'm a slow coach but I do get to them!

If you respond to naughtiness with your own naughtiness, especially if you quote said naughtiness, I tend to delete the posts rather then edit .. I mean who has time to edit naughtinesseses from the whole site? SO you end up losing your post even though you may have had something worthwhile to type.

So just send em over to me and I'll give 'em a thrashin' :D

So Much for your predictions of who to watch... Darcy is going well, Joyce is killing them at huonville and as for the quote about him doin nothing since leaving north, i'm a kingston man and he averaged 6 a game while he played here... I'll take that any day.... Lamprill stuggling and who is henley other than a coach.....

So Much for your predictions of who to watch... Darcy is going well, Joyce is killing them at huonville and as for the quote about him doin nothing since leaving north, i'm a kingston man and he averaged 6 a game while he played here... I'll take that any day.... Lamprill stuggling and who is henley other than a coach.....

Lamprill has had mentions in the best players most weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southern football 2007.. what do you expect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back