Toast Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

cp3_jr

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Held up very well last night and kept Callinan goalless whilst hitting in hard himself all night.
Is a very solid pick up and when our other backs were shirking the contest (Ibbo) and playing poorly under the pressure (McPhee, Snos and Duff at times), Spurr stood up and did his job.

Played his role perfectly and should be a lock come round 1 next year.

took some great grabs too. he's really worth persisting with. after a year in the AFL, you'd expect him to relish it further next year.

Definitely not.

Duffield and Spurr have overtaken him, and Broughton is a far better defender than him as well.

Wouldn't be at all suprised to see him go

Soft as butter or as Jako would put it, butter as soft!
Missed tackles and doesn't put himself in where the hard stuff is.Much happier with Spurr.
Swap Ibbotson for Gumbleton I say.

Not an Ibbo hater, seen him do a lot of good things, is an elite runner and one-time member of our leadership group.

For these reasons he has pretty good trade potential, particularly for a team such as Essendon which has a suspect and inexperienced defence (excluding Fletcher of course).

A Gumbo/Ibbo trade (with maybe a swap of picks) has the makings of a classic win-win for all parties.

Not an Ibbo hater, seen him do a lot of good things, is an elite runner and one-time member of our leadership group.

For these reasons he has pretty good trade potential, particularly for a team such as Essendon which has a suspect and inexperienced defence (excluding Fletcher of course).

A Gumbo/Ibbo trade (with maybe a swap of picks) has the makings of a classic win-win for all parties.

Agree. But we have greater needs. I think it would be a win-win, but we would be taking the bigger risk with the potential for a bigger reward.

Agree. But we have greater needs. I think it would be a win-win, but we would be taking the bigger risk with the potential for a bigger reward.

Agreed, we'd be giving up someone who at least can get on the park each week and whose performances are predictable (whether you rate him or not, at least there's no surprises).

Something we should emphasise in any negotiations, particularly with a team like Carlton who crave stability in their back 6. That and the RTB philosophy that he could bring across.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going to make a comment on your thread about Spurr but saw this one, thought despite not getting much of the ball, he did his job on Callinan to perfection. Being former teamates, he'd know a thing or two about him. Killed him I thought.

I think Ibbo's had a better 2nd half of the year than Spurr, to be honest I haven't been that impressed him Spurr, personally. His disposal coming out of the back half has been a liability. Ibbo's brain farts have been few and far between lately and i'm marginally more confident of Ibbo with the ball than Spurr coming out of the back half.

Currently, Duffield>Ibbo>Spurr.

I think Ibbo's had a better 2nd half of the year than Spurr, to be honest I haven't been that impressed him Spurr, personally. His disposal coming out of the back half has been a liability. Ibbo's brain farts have been few and far between lately and i'm marginally more confident of Ibbo with the ball than Spurr coming out of the back half.

Yeah but how long has Ibbo been playing at the top level compared to Spurr?

Ibbo has trade currency Spurr doesn't and that is what we are talking about trading for need. Broughton could cover Ibbo's place and Spurr will probably get better and he already has the mongrel in him Ibbo doesn't.

Spurr's older than Ibbo, that doesn't mean too much but it just means his ceiling for improvement's not going to be as great as a youngster.

Other than a few unnecessary risks and a few misjudgements Spurr is probably good enough already. I guess the room for improvement you are talking about for Ibbo will make him more appealing to other clubs. I have a feeling if he doesn't go it might be Broughton (who if you believe rumours is not a coach favourite), especially as Deboer isn't really holding his own consistently as a midfielder and will probably be returned to the forward line or Claremont next year if he doesn't lift a little. We have Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Neale, Morabito, hopefully Michie to come in the team and whoever else we recruit or trade for. No point hoarding if we can improve the team with a trade.

Other than a few unnecessary risks and a few misjudgements Spurr is probably good enough already. I guess the room for improvement you are talking about for Ibbo will make him more appealing to other clubs. I have a feeling if he doesn't go it might be Broughton (who if you believe rumours is not a coach favourite), especially as Deboer isn't really holding his own consistently as a midfielder and will probably be returned to the forward line or Claremont next year if he doesn't lift a little. We have Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Neale, Morabito, hopefully Michie to come in the team and whoever else we recruit or trade for. No point hoarding if we can improve the team with a trade.

Interesting, I was under the impression RTB rated De Boer playing a dual role in the mids and as a defensive forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back