St Kevins the new Hailbury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Danzig

Rookie
May 15, 2007
kew
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok so they don't have 18 scholarship players but after spending so much time at the bottom of every APS sport they have made the conscious to recruit talent. They bought an athletics premiership and are now after football. Does this earn them respect?

Your an absolute fool, St Kevins do not even compare to other APS schools in the scholarship giving stakes.

Delete this thread, another sore loser who cant handle St Kevins beating them once an even level playing field is found.

Your an absolute fool, St Kevins do not even compare to other APS schools in the scholarship giving stakes.

Delete this thread, another sore loser who cant handle St Kevins beating them once an even level playing field is found.

would everyone get off the scholarship crap it happens theres nothing you can do about it there are pro's and cons so what a waste of time .

yes, st kevins are the new haylebury

what did they come last year? and they are going to do very well this year. doesn't just happen like that at school football level

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
their vice principal is a dog act

hey im just posing a question mate and we havnt played skevs this year. Skevs came nowhere last year and the improvement this year is remarkable but i want to know whether they r going down the hailbury path and losing respect

This year they have got a very good coach.. like many other schools already have had for many years.
Last years side also contained many yr 11's, which meant these boys got alot of experience and over a year havegot alot bigger and stronger.
Two or three of these boys also played first football in yr 10 - whilst the 10a's still had a dominant yr - so the future was always bright down at SKC.

St Kevins over the past 3 or 4 years have been very very strong at yr 10 level, with just as many players in the ones as other schools - just struggled when alternate yr levels were not very strong. This yr they have a very strong group from yr 9-12...meaning the future remains bright. Get over it, they are gonna compete and beat many sides over the next couple of years

This year they have got a very good coach.. like many other schools already have had for many years.
Last years side also contained many yr 11's, which meant these boys got alot of experience and over a year havegot alot bigger and stronger.
Two or three of these boys also played first football in yr 10 - whilst the 10a's still had a dominant yr - so the future was always bright down at SKC.

St Kevins over the past 3 or 4 years have been very very strong at yr 10 level, with just as many players in the ones as other schools - just struggled when alternate yr levels were not very strong. This yr they have a very strong group from yr 9-12...meaning the future remains bright. Get over it, they are gonna compete and beat many sides over the next couple of years

That may be so but the question remains: would st kevins be competitive without scholarships and im looking for an unbiased view on this. I don't think they would.

p.s. xavier dominates every year level from year 5 to year 10 and 2nds to 5ths so if ur theory is correct shouldnt they dominate aps 1sts every year as well. this happened in the late 90s and early 00s when 4 flags were won in a row but since the introduction of scholarships havn't won their customary flag

St Kevins don't have any more scholarships than other APS schools. It's just that they have strategically injected them in when they have quite a strong cohort.

I would estimate the following number of scholarships from my sources:

Scotch : 3
St Kevins : 4
Haileybury : 6
Geelong Grammar : 2
Geelong College : 2
Melbourne : 3
Brighton : 3
Xavier : 1
Carey : 3
Wesley : 3
Caulfield : 5

Surprised about Xavier, Geelong College?

Basically, if the kid is on ANY scholarship I've counted them.

Cordy is on a general excellence
Sibosado is on a Broome scholarship

They still count!

St. Kevs were always going to be good this year.
Last years year 12 were a bit crappy, while this years year 10s are awesome.
Plus there is the new supercoach, Max Stewart.

St Kevins don't have any more scholarships than other APS schools. It's just that they have strategically injected them in when they have quite a strong cohort.

They still count!

Davo, could you tell us who you think would be on a scholarship from each school. I would of thought that Haileybury had more than 6, but a lot of them left last year.

Davo, could you tell us who you think would be on a scholarship from each school. I would of thought that Haileybury had more than 6, but a lot of them left last year.

st kevs only have 3 new scholarships this year. the best players week in week out at st kevins are dominated by players who have been at the school since year 7 or earlier. the team this year is alot stronger than the previous years due to a strong mix of year 12's, 11's and 10's who have been at the school since the beginning.

They still count!

Sibasado is yet to have played a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St.Kevins have three scholarships in their side this year. The Year 12 level for St.Kevins has always been fairly strong with three of them playing firsts in year 10 with NONE of them being on a scholarship. There is one Year 11 on a scholarship this year, and two in year 10. Cachia, Broadhurst and Purcell have all been there since year 7. Three players will not make a side, sure it will help, but you cannot compare St.Kevins with schools like Haileybury who have many scholarships. People have to start to give St.Kevins some credit as they are playing good football at the moment. Leave scholarships out of it, all schools do it to a degree however you look at it. People simply dont like the fact that St.Kevins are starting to perform this year.

They still count!

Okay, firstly how about you only include the scholarships that count, and that is sports, or more specifically, football scholarships.

Secondly, you can't include academics scholarships, because it has nothing to do with recruting for football.

Also, Ayce Cordy is on an academics scholarship, not a general excellence one, and Geelong College offers no sports scholarships, so your sources are poor.

would everyone get off the scholarship crap it happens theres nothing you can do about it there are pro's and cons so what a waste of time .

YES !!!!! every school has just about done it or is doing it there is nothing you can do its not illegal who cares!

The DJ is back after a spell on the sidelines.
SKC have 2 football scholarships, one cricket scholarship who plays 1st XVIII footy
Hardly the new haileybury.
SHould be a good game SKC v BGS this w/e.

Okay, firstly how about you only include the scholarships that count, and that is sports, or more specifically, football scholarships.

Secondly, you can't include academics scholarships, because it has nothing to do with recruting for football.

Also, Ayce Cordy is on an academics scholarship, not a general excellence one, and Geelong College offers no sports scholarships, so your sources are poor.
Ayce, thats an sick name!

cachia since year 7? i think not
St.Kevins have three scholarships in their side this year. The Year 12 level for St.Kevins has always been fairly strong with three of them playing firsts in year 10 with NONE of them being on a scholarship. There is one Year 11 on a scholarship this year, and two in year 10. Cachia, Broadhurst and Purcell have all been there since year 7. Three players will not make a side, sure it will help, but you cannot compare St.Kevins with schools like Haileybury who have many scholarships. People have to start to give St.Kevins some credit as they are playing good football at the moment. Leave scholarships out of it, all schools do it to a degree however you look at it. People simply dont like the fact that St.Kevins are starting to perform this year.

cachia since year 7? i think not
yeh you're right, its grade 5 (or so ive read)

people lay off st kevins. i go to hailebury and think its great that a team like st kevins (altho with a few new faces) can do so great. just because they used to be bad doesnt mean they are obligated to be bad for every single season. they were eventually going to be a serious premiership contender and this year was obviously the year. why is that people question st kevins when they start getting better and yet dont question the likes of xavier. i know xavier are consistently good but people dont seem to question how they win without any scholarships, its because it can be done (given the right team).

the right team all depends on who enrols in a given year. st kevins - sure 2 scholarships but one is in yr10 and i dont think has featured in the bests yet or consitently anyway and the other 1 in yr11 is fairly alrite but st kevins have numerous midfielders who could fill that hole. unlike us, st kevins have built and managed their team better than anyone else. their coaching staff has managed to get 100% out of every one of their players and thats why they sit atop the APS ladder because when 100% of the players work at 100% for 100% of the time you will win nearly 100% of your games - even if you're only a half decent team. god knows if the likes of xavier and hailebury and scotch ever put an absolute ripper of a game week in week out they would be top. i guess it all comes down to who can bring it on match day

st kevins...well done :thumbsu:

Does anyone know how many scholarships they have?
they have two footy scholarhips, one for cricket, one for soccer and 3 for Aths, hardly can be compared to hailebury in anything (footy, aths, swimming...even volleyball), or caulfield in aths.
or any other school in the APS for that matter (excluding geelong's), considering scotch offers more than their fare share to indigenous players (an admirable idea, but nonetheless scholarips all the same), xavier has a tonne of freak boaders, brighton have about 8 scholarhips every yr as do MGS, CG and Wesley.
so yeah, this thred is crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kevins the new Hailbury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back