Game Day St Kilda v Melbourne Rd 6 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we maintain our longest current streak against another club? Will Melbourne overcome the Etihad hoodoo? Will the Saints bounce back after a disappointing loss to GWS? Can Melboune win three in a row?

These questions and many more to be answered today @ 1:45 pm @ Etihad Stadium (Melbourne home match)

Melbourne are sitting in 10th spot on 3 wins (GWS, Collingwood, Richmond) 2 losses (Essendon, North)
Saints are 13th with only 1 win (Collingwood) 4 losses (Port, WB, Hawthorn, GWS)

LAST FIVE TIMES
 WE MET
R23, 2015, St Kilda 12.11 (83) d Melbourne 6.10 (46) at the MCG
R11, 2015, St Kilda 12.13 (85) d Melbourne 12.11 (83) at Etihad Stadium
R1, 2014, St Kilda 10.8 (68) d Melbourne 6.15 (51) at Etihad Stadium
R13, 2013, St Kilda 16.8 (104) d Melbourne 10.9 (69) at the MCG
R20, 2012, St Kilda 16.11 (107) d Melbourne 12.10 (82) at the MCG

THE SIX POINTS
 (from AFL.COM)
1.St Kilda has racked up plenty of disposals in 2016, ranking third in the AFL with an average of 402 per game. The Demons are seventh (378.6 per game).

2. St Kilda has dominated Melbourne over a long period, winning a club-record 12 consecutive contests since 2007. A two-point loss in 2015 is the closest the Demons have been in that time.

3. Melbourne continues to improve its scoring in 2016. After five games its average points per game is 101 compared to only 71 in 2015.4.

4. If the Demons beat the Saints, it will be the first time since 2005 the club will have started the season with four wins and two losses.

5. Melbourne and St Kilda have played nine times at Etihad Stadium, with six wins to the Saints. The Demons won their last Etihad game at the end of 2015, defeating the Giants, after losing their previous 22 games at the venue.

6. Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn is on the charge in the Schick AFL Player Ratings, moving to 182nd overall in the rankings. The big man started the season at 295th in the competition.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
 Tom Hickey
Nullifying Gawn is easier said than done, but if Hickey can keep the big man in check – Gawn leads the AFL for hit-outs per game (40.8) – the Saints have a chance to continue their long-standing winning streak over the Demons.

PREDICTION: Saints by 3 goals

What I'm looking for in this game is 2 things.

1. Skills.. So far I reckon we are one of the worst teams when it comes to kicking the ball inside our forward 50. The forwards are constant scragging and scrapping against their opponents and we need to give them some lace out entries.

2. Aggression.. When we stick a tackle or are around the ball, I'd like to see some of our players really get into their faces and push them around a bit. It seems to me that we are so passive and I can't remember a single player besides Webster that actually causes some niggle and gives it to their opponents.

Can we maintain our longest current streak against another club? Will Melbourne overcome the Etihad hoodoo? Will the Saints bounce back after a disappointing loss to GWS? Can Melboune win three in a row?

These questions and many more to be answered today @ 1:45 pm @ Etihad Stadium (Melbourne home match)

Melbourne are sitting in 10th spot on 3 wins (GWS, Collingwood, Richmond) 2 losses (Essendon, North)
Saints are 13th with only 1 win (Collingwood) 4 losses (Port, WB, Hawthorn, GWS)

LAST FIVE TIMES
 WE MET
R23, 2015, St Kilda 12.11 (83) d Melbourne 6.10 (46) at the MCG
R11, 2015, St Kilda 12.13 (85) d Melbourne 12.11 (83) at Etihad Stadium
R1, 2014, St Kilda 10.8 (68) d Melbourne 6.15 (51) at Etihad Stadium
R13, 2013, St Kilda 16.8 (104) d Melbourne 10.9 (69) at the MCG
R20, 2012, St Kilda 16.11 (107) d Melbourne 12.10 (82) at the MCG

THE SIX POINTS
 (from AFL.COM)
1.St Kilda has racked up plenty of disposals in 2016, ranking third in the AFL with an average of 402 per game. The Demons are seventh (378.6 per game).

2. St Kilda has dominated Melbourne over a long period, winning a club-record 12 consecutive contests since 2007. A two-point loss in 2015 is the closest the Demons have been in that time.

3. Melbourne continues to improve its scoring in 2016. After five games its average points per game is 101 compared to only 71 in 2015.4.

4. If the Demons beat the Saints, it will be the first time since 2005 the club will have started the season with four wins and two losses.

5. Melbourne and St Kilda have played nine times at Etihad Stadium, with six wins to the Saints. The Demons won their last Etihad game at the end of 2015, defeating the Giants, after losing their previous 22 games at the venue.

6. Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn is on the charge in the Schick AFL Player Ratings, moving to 182nd overall in the rankings. The big man started the season at 295th in the competition.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
 Tom Hickey
Nullifying Gawn is easier said than done, but if Hickey can keep the big man in check – Gawn leads the AFL for hit-outs per game (40.8) – the Saints have a chance to continue their long-standing winning streak over the Demons.

PREDICTION: Saints by 3 goals
Great write up special K!

Go Saints! 5 point win!

We let them back into the game last year and they nearly ran over us.

I want to see lots of pressure and good use of the ball. No silly schoolboy errors!

What I'm looking for in this game is 2 things.

1. Skills.. So far I reckon we are one of the worst teams when it comes to kicking the ball inside our forward 50. The forwards are constant scragging and scrapping against their opponents and we need to give them some lace out entries.

2. Aggression.. When we stick a tackle or are around the ball, I'd like to see some of our players really get into their faces and push them around a bit. It seems to me that we are so passive and I can't remember a single player besides Webster that actually causes some niggle and gives it to their opponents.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big game from Membrey today! Should get an undersized defender (or Pederson) today so hoping he can get amongst it.
Will need Gears & Webster on their toes today as their small fwds will be tough. Jiffy & Kent are seriously quick and who knows what Petracca could produce.

Got to make the most of our forward entries.
Boys in the middle are going to decide this - getting first use will be everything with our high pressure and intensity a given.
No doubt we can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back