Discussion St Kilda's LGBT Pride guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

OK cool!

The St Kilda numbers remind me of a rainbow

Volta's deisgn reminds me of shoelaces

Your username reminds me of a bird

I hope you all enjoyed this valuable information
Sorry for answering your question dude. And sorry for commenting on a jumper design in a thread about a jumper design. How silly of me. :rolleyes:

Yes but the clubs still need to be identifiable.
If they change their kits too much they become the rainbow team, not St Kilda supporting this issue.
Like with Indigenous Round kits etc, if the jumper stops being easily identifiable as the specific club, it loses its usefulness as a "logo" of the club, which it still is. Regardless of how good or important the cause is, these are still club jumpers and club merch.

This.

Looks great!

I wish clubs would get a bit more creative with the numbers, right now they're easily the most generic part of modern AFL jumpers.

The Port grid iron numbers and now this jumper have been refreshing to see this year.
AFL numbers are owned by the AFL.
I believe the AFL want to own the numbers used on jumpers so they can officially licence them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have liked to have seen something like Barrybran suggested, but also get how it is not necessarily identifiable as St. Kilda. The Pride flag across the whole back like they did with the purple for Maddie Riewoldt last year could look good IMO.
2bsMBxy.png

The file labelled StKPride2.png is perfect.
At first I thought "how I want to be" was a fitting motto from St Kilda to link between the club and the theme, but maybe not as much as I initially thought. It's more "how/who I am"...people spend a lot of time NOT wanting to be LGBTIQ, sadly. Minor point, but "how I want to be" is accepted and with full equal rights. It was never a burning desire to be gay and then one day the gay fairy came down and granted my wish.

Fancyscum, I don't want to rubbish your idea in any way, because it's a thoughtful and clever use of the club slogan...that's just my two-bob worth and my feelings as I thought about it a little more from where I sit :)

At first I thought "how I want to be" was a fitting motto from St Kilda to link between the club and the theme, but maybe not as much as I initially thought. It's more "how/who I am"...people spend a lot of time NOT wanting to be LGBTIQ, sadly. Minor point, but "how I want to be" is accepted and with full equal rights. It was never a burning desire to be gay and then one day the gay fairy came down and granted my wish.

Fancyscum, I don't want to rubbish your idea in any way, because it's a thoughtful and clever use of the club slogan...that's just my two-bob worth and my feelings as I thought about it a little more from where I sit :)
I was definitely coming at from the acceptance and equal rights point of view, guess it would have been better to do a write up of my thought process behind that design as well. I didn't really think about how else it might have been interpreted due to the accepting environment I've grown up in. Also I hardly see you as rubbishing my idea at all, the whole point of all these guernseys is to create a discussion about the topic, your comment is a lot more useful than one about a Nintendo game from twenty years ago!
(I tried to cut the anecdotes and politics out of this post but I hope I still got my view across.)

I was definitely coming at from the acceptance and equal rights point of view, guess it would have been better to do a write up of my thought process behind that design as well. I didn't really think about how else it might have been interpreted due to the accepting environment I've grown up in. Also I hardly see you as rubbishing my idea at all, the whole point of all these guernseys is to create a discussion about the topic, your comment is a lot more useful than one about a Nintendo game from twenty years ago!
(I tried to cut the anecdotes and politics out of this post but I hope I still got my view across.)
Definitely. I'm sure you never intended for it to have bad meaning or anything else, I was just adding my two-bob :)
And nothing wrong with saying it looks like Rainbow Road...coz it does!

They should have got imaginative and used some high school science to explain the 'story' behind their design... and they should have had the white panel as their rainbow piece.

"White is produced when all colours of the visible light spectrum are combined. These colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Therefore, whilst our guernsey appears red, white, and black each week, the white is always representing the colours of the rainbow and our support for the LGBT community"

The numbers are going to be a nightmare for commentators.

Last edited:
I really like it.

Interesting to read that the club are offering to heat press these numbers on any guernsey on the night, and also will have a rainbow themed beanie and scarf design for sale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion St Kilda's LGBT Pride guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back