Remove this Banner Ad

ormond-allen

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
...have made the finals in D4 Amateurs and you can put your house on them winning the flag. They don't know it yet, but they possess the greatest finals player I've seen in Razga. The bloke is the Clark Keating of D4.

ormond-allen said:
...have made the finals in D4 Amateurs and you can put your house on them winning the flag. They don't know it yet, but they possess the greatest finals player I've seen in Razga. The bloke is the Clark Keating of D4.

Got to get past Elsternwick first...Doubt that will happen.

Hawthorn was the only team capable of beating Elsternwick. Although, for a team with as little individual talent as St Mary's to get this far they must be doing something right.

ormond-allen said:

The Clark Keating of D4 Amateurs.

That's a pretty hefty tag to live up to!!

:D

What about Bulleen Cobras. Surely they are still in with a shot. Opposition sides can't hold Badanjek goalless every week. I think they are a good thing. They beat Elsternwick earlier in the year.

Put it this way: D4 is a polite way of saying G grade. It's rare to get a full side on the track for both training sessions in A grade due to players who have work commitments. As you go down the grades, the commitment to the club and training starts to deteriorate, I've found - which in turn has an effect on on-field performance. Having said that, there are some good footballers running around in the lower Amateur ranks. But, like most teams at that level, the chink in the armour can be found in the quality of the fringe players - the flankers, wingers and pockets. While the spine is usually ok, the rest can be found wanting.

BlueBoy41 said:
What about Bulleen Cobras. Surely they are still in with a shot. Opposition sides can't hold Badanjek goalless every week. I think they are a good thing. They beat Elsternwick earlier in the year.

D4 Seniors Preliminary Final

ST MARYS 9.5 14.10 19.14 24.16 (160)
BULLEEN COBRAS 2.1 9.3 11.8 13.11 (89)

Goals:

St Marys: Ryan 5 Cope 5 Purcell 4 Ballantyne 2 Crilly 2 C Richardson 2 C Armstrong Lane Weller D’Astoli.

Bull Cob: Frankin 5 Rowe 4 Cookson 2 Moore 2.

Best: St Marys: L Armstrong Crilly Wright Cope Ballantyne Purcell.
Bull Cob: Pasinati Daley Mann Dall’Oglio Frankin Mehrez.

Says it all really.

Scribe said:

Goals:

St Marys: Ryan 5 Cope 5 Purcell 4 Ballantyne 2 Crilly 2 C Richardson 2 C Armstrong Lane Weller D’Astoli.

Bull Cob: Frankin 5 Rowe 4 Cookson 2 Moore 2.

Bull Cob: Pasinati Daley Mann Dall’Oglio Frankin Mehrez.

Says it all really.

It doesn't say that Bulleen had three key players out, including the D4 leading goalkicker Badanjek. Other notable absentees were captain and ruckman Trav Mullenger and Frank Arcoraci.

But the better team on the day took the chocolates and now St Mary's will have a chance to win their first flag from the last four finals appearances.

Scribe said:

Goals: St Marys: Ryan 5 Cope 5 Purcell 4 Ballantyne 2 Crilly 2 C Richardson 2 C Armstrong Lane Weller D’Astoli.

Would the C Armstrong (2 goals) and L Armstrong (best) by any chance be brothers Cam and Lachie? If so they're two great fella's who were part of Yea's 2003 premiership team.....Good luck to the lads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlueBoy41 said:
Yes Doona2, it is the Armstrong brothers you were referring to.

When is the grand final BlueBoy41, do you play with them?

Doona2 said:
When is the grand final BlueBoy41, do you play with them?

No, I don't play with St Marys, Doons. Just take an interest in the VAFA. The D4 Grand Final between Elsternwick and St Marys is at the Cheltenham FG this Saturday (September 10) from 2pm.

BlueBoy41 said:
No, I don't play with St Marys, Doons. Just take an interest in the VAFA. The D4 Grand Final between Elsternwick and St Marys is at the Cheltenham FG this Saturday (September 10) from 2pm.

Bugger unfortunately we will be contesting a grand final ourselves.

Elsternwick are hot favorites for this one - they`ve beaten St.Marys by around 10 goals both times they have played this year

angry steve said:
Elsternwick are hot favorites for this one - they`ve beaten St.Marys by around 10 goals both times they have played this year

Razga was carrying injuries in both those games this year. Not sure whether he'll make a 10 goal difference, but it'll be a lot closer than the previous meetings. The big fella is raring to go. Whoever's the ruckmen for Elsternwick are in for a long day

Howd St. Mary's end up on the weekend, and how did me little mate Cam Armstrong play?

Doona2 said:
Howd St. Mary's end up on the weekend, and how did me little mate Cam Armstrong play?

St Marys lost by about 15 points in a highly entertaining match.

As predicted in this thread, Razga starred and was unlucky not to get the medal for best on ground.

went to the game and was very surprised by the standard. st mary's looked like they could cause an upset early, before elsternwick steadied. the saints got to within a point late in the third (really late, the q went for 38 minutes). an amazing goal to the wicks just before the siren (player falling out of bounds, hacked it out of the air brad johnson style) probably gave them the impetus going into the last. sure enuff, they got out to a 26 point lead at one stage before st mary's got a couple of late ones to get it back to the final margin.

the saints were gallant in defeat, but played it out to the end in what was a very good game.

Lucky Star said:
St Marys lost by about 15 points in a highly entertaining match.

As predicted in this thread, Razga starred and was unlucky not to get the medal for best on ground.

I played for elsternwick, was a pretty incredible match - really didnt think we had it won until, literally the final siren.

Doona2 --> Cam Armstrong is an absolute gun (good bloke off the field too) was St Mary's best player pretty easily and the fact that he was playing with damaged ribs (not sure if they were broken or not) and showing no signs whatsoever was impressive. He and his brother are like a pair of cannonballs when they are at full flight...bloody impossible to tackle!

As for this Razga guy, to say he was unlucky not to win the BOG medal is pretty far-fetched, wasn't he coming off the bench to ruck during time-on in each quarter? Anyways, he was killed by our ruckman around the ground and he wasn't even in the Saints best after the game.

Cam Armstrong played on saturday with cracked ribs, bruised lungs and kidneys, not a bad effort for a little bloke. Definitely looked a class above on Saturday, could easily play A/B grade.

Angry Steve who ever is boofing Razga is pulling your leg. Must be a mate of his. Wouldn't say he was killed by your ruckman, even though he did get the better of him. Thought Neill was pretty quiet around the ground, only remember him having a few touches during the game, hardly a best on ground performance as tipped in the Amateur Record.

Would say that freak goal late in the third quarter by Grace turned the game, very Brad Johnson like.

Full credit to Elsternwick though, best team all year (besides a couple of wet games). Look forward to revenge next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Marys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back